Can someone please tell me what drive is required to install PF from it? I have DVD ROM drive (not DVD burner), and CD ROM burner drive.

To put it this way: does ONLY plain CD ROM drive works for installing PF or it can be done with some other drive?

Atomic, I would install it from the DVD drive. I have heard of many problems when folks tried to install AEP from a CD burner drive but not from a regular CDROM drive, so it's really your choice. But.... there is more to it than that, the anti-piracy stuff that plagues some folks doesn't seem to apply to DVD drives, allowing you to install the sim anywhere you want rather than the default directory. There's my two cents, all the best, LongHorn

Thank you. I don't have PF yet, but I was getting worried by all this histeria about piracy stuff, and to be honest it is all a little weird. To that point that I was asking myself: "O.K. I'm going to store and buy the game. And once when I try to install it, I figure that I can't because I have to buy new DVD/CD/?/other drive just to install it, so when I was in store already I'm going to take advantage and buy myself new drive just for purpose of installing PF on my HD".

Ridiculous.

And geez, no protection will work against pirate guys. This way, the only ones who are really handicapped are us who went to store and buy legal copy of the game.

AFJ_Locust's Avatar Senior Member
    Avast ye laddie's

Walk the plank ya rotten scoundrels !!!

Are Are Areeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..........

Yo ho Yo Ho...........

ucanfly's Avatar Senior Member
    I have a weird situation where (Like perhaps some others) I have a DVD-ROM (Toshiba) drive and an LG CD/RW drive which came with Easy CD Creator S/W. I fresh installed FB/AEP/PF using the DVD ROM drive no problem, but then the game didn't launch (just stayed at the splash screen) when using the DVD drive.

Thinking I blew the installation I reinstalled several times and made sure DIrect CD was not running all to no avail. AFter reading the boards I finally in desperation used the CD/RW drive to launch the game and whala - it works. Weird!

Am a little concerned that the next Maddox CD will not run at all in either of my drives. I can see why some would be worried about this.

edit: the statement would have provoked questions from others, therefore altered.

GT182's Avatar Banned
    Your CD-ROM is also your CD burner. That's the one to use, as Ucanfly has said.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GT182:
    Your CD-ROM is also your CD burner. That's the one to use, as Ucanfly has said. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>ARe you saying that PF is not expected to run on a DVD Rom? I haven't read that anywhere. That's why I was surprised it ran from my CD Burner and not my DVD Rom.

GT182's Avatar Banned
    As written on page 2 of the manual:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> CD-ROM: 4x CD-ROM or better <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    and
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> NOTICE: This game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some CD-RW, DVD-RW, and virtual drives. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GT182:
    As written on page 2 of the manual:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> CD-ROM: 4x CD-ROM or better <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    and
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> NOTICE: This game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some CD-RW, DVD-RW, and virtual drives. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since when does the requirement to use a CD ROM mean it is incompatible with a DVD ROM? I have never ran into this before in any other software.