does anyone know the formula/equation to figure Tas by useing Ias and alititude?
    I know there is a chart but it is in meters, I am wondering about the actual math behind it
    Thanks in advance.

does anyone know the formula/equation to figure Tas by useing Ias and alititude?
    I know there is a chart but it is in meters, I am wondering about the actual math behind it
    Thanks in advance.

Tas=IAS plus 2% for every thousand feet.
    I believe this will work. This is for imperial.

Spot on guys!!
    thanks a bunch

I have detailed IAS/TAS charts in both meters and feet. If anyone would like a copy just message me.

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    Go to the Essentials thread... I added a link to a conversion utility thanks to the 310th VFS.

If you have FB there's a chart on one of the discs that you can print off.

mortoma's Avatar Senior Member
    The normal shortcut message will only get you close, but for all practical purposes close enough in th game. But the 'real' method takes into account your current density altitude, which can make a difference sometimes. I guess in the game we'll just consider everything is in standard conditions??

And here's the full version, seems right from a quick read-through.

Rules of thumb, such as the 2% one mentioned above and apparently used for the Java calculator, are just that and will not provide absolutely correct results, although most of the time usable ones... but not always even the latter.