Hi,

Can anyone tell me which variants of the 109G-6 were in service with the Finnish Air Force during WW2? So far, all I can find are generic references to the 109G-2, G-6 and G-14.

Thanks!

Phas3e's Avatar Senior Member
    Yup thats what they used.

Some of the later G-6's were an interesting mix of parts (erla hoods and different tail set ups) but were still G-6's

Treetop64's Avatar Senior Member
    Maybe the Finns themselves didn't know exactly which versions of the G6s they got!

It can be difficult keeping up with myriad of specifications for the G6s, even for students of Bf-109 spec histories. The G6s have their own sub-series of models - though not in a terribly consistent manner - and many were factory-to-squadron specific, almost like the early series LaGG-3 though perhaps not quite that drastically inconsistent. Hardly any two production batches were alike.

Someplace I've read that Finns ripped off their Bf-109's of everything that was not absolutely necessary for their use. But in many cases these alterations were quite unique for every plane, and pilot.

Regarding differences in 109G6 etc.I have a Finnish IPMS publication somewhere,which has a photograph of a 109 fitted with one G2 wing and one G6 wing.Obviously not a factory mod!

Thank you for the replies,

I was wondering if the Finns ever operated the G6 Late or A/S variants.

Erkki_M's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Sillius_Sodus:
    Thank you for the replies,

I was wondering if the Finns ever operated the G6 Late or A/S variants.
    AFAIK, after G-2s, most were G-6s with the old canopy, and some with the later "bubble" canopy. There were also a few G-8s(G-6 with camera) modified to the G-6 standard. Some of them came with MG151/20 wing cannons, but those were usually removed right away, and only a few combat sorties were flown with the gun gondola armed 109s, them only taking part to a handful of il2 interceptions.

Actually.... 162 Bf 109s bought. 3 lost in transfer, 159 made into operational service, used by first LeLv34, later also LeLv24 and 28.

48 x G-2
    109 x G-6
    2 x G-8

Thanks Erkki_M!