Yeah, for some reason i had a few duds in a row, the patrol before this i had 4 dudes, 3 bounced off and the 4th hit the rudder than bounced into the hull and went off, crippling the ship but not sinking it. But this patrol... I fired my first fish and it bounced off and sank to the bottom, big surprise..so i lined up for a shot directly at the stern. Fire my fish.. Hits the rudder..bounces off...hits the rudder again... bounces off. This continues 5 times until the 6th hit blew off the screw. Ship still didnt sink so thankfully my last fish wasnt a dud haha. Just thought id share.

Yeah, for some reason i had a few duds in a row, the patrol before this i had 4 dudes, 3 bounced off and the 4th hit the rudder than bounced into the hull and went off, crippling the ship but not sinking it. But this patrol... I fired my first fish and it bounced off and sank to the bottom, big surprise..so i lined up for a shot directly at the stern. Fire my fish.. Hits the rudder..bounces off...hits the rudder again... bounces off. This continues 5 times until the 6th hit blew off the screw. Ship still didnt sink so thankfully my last fish wasnt a dud haha. Just thought id share.

I just had something similar happen -- whacked my fishstick into the rudder and it bounced off. I guess the rudder just doesn't register as a hit in the torpedos mind.

if i'm not mistaken in WWII torpedos had a safety feature that would keep the torpedo from detonating too close to the ship.

Has it ever happen to you guys using the time compression keys on the keypad as usual and by mistake hitting the enter key and waste a torpedo? Oh, and not saving for 1000 km before that? Really frustrating, should have a "Master Arm Off" like aircraft do, like a safety :| , or should have the entire process of launching the torp, like in "dangerous waters", where u need to flood the torpedo chamber, open it, launch, etc

Yeah, it would really bring a new dimension to the game if you had more things to do. Like flooding the tubes, playing with the diesels, manually adjusting ballast.
    German is known for their quality products like BMW, Audi and so on. But hey? i haven't had a single failure on my uboat, my diesels work perfectly, my rudders never jam, fuses don't break and so on. It would be a lot more fun and not so boring if such random things would occour.

RedTerex's Avatar Senior Member
    Torpedo failiure;
    main reasons:
    1.If the angle was too accute.
    2.The torp was fired too close to the ship...400Mtrs..then a bounce back or failed detonation is almost a dead cert.

1. The front part of the torp..the little nipple ( oops ! )on the front was the detonator pin and held the magnetic pistol cap...not the side of the torp or anywhere else.
    So if you dont get a reasonable front end impact area then you get nothing. Certain side on glances were enought to deform the cap and enable detonation.

2.The torpedo is fired INERT and NOT armed from the sub EVERYTIME.
    It arms whilst running to target..about 400-500 Metres..if you fire TOO CLOSE then the topr is still inert..it hasnt armed.

All of these variables have been accurately moddeled into SH3.
    well done DEvs !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mckeant:
    if i'm not mistaken in WWII torpedos had a safety feature that would keep the torpedo from detonating too close to the ship. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh?

Torpedoes that will only explode if they're a safe distance away from a ship? Were they designed by pacifists?

RedTerex's Avatar Senior Member
    ...indeed, that would defeat the whole object..infact thr reverse would be more factual !

This game SH3, is now teaching a whole new generation of the principles of Torpedoes and ASW in WWII..as a history lesson and its educational properties the premis is superb !