Okay. I know this has been covered a ton of times, but it begs to be asked again, and I was inspired by another thread...

Why are there no flyable carrier-based torpedo planes?

The sense of this player being absent is questionable at best. Torpedo planes were at the very heart of almost every conventional carrier-launched antiship attack (and please, no more suggestions of IL2T, B25, Beaufighter, or A20 substitutions; those make about as much sense as WW2 PTO without carriers in the first place). Musashi alone could stand as testament to the pivotal role these planes played: how many Avengers did it take to plant 19 aerial torpedo into that mammoth?

Granted, the title of the game says a lot - the primary focus is on fighters. But if the case, why supply a carrier based dive bomber for each side and exclude any torpedo planes?

All I'm saying here is that there seems to be a decided lack on getting this type of plane into the players' hands. If I'm wrong, then I apologize, but when the dev update bypassed the flyable Avenger for AI Devastators and Jills... it just seems like this isn't going to happen.

Anyone else out there wondering what is going on on this front?

Okay. I know this has been covered a ton of times, but it begs to be asked again, and I was inspired by another thread...

Why are there no flyable carrier-based torpedo planes?

The sense of this player being absent is questionable at best. Torpedo planes were at the very heart of almost every conventional carrier-launched antiship attack (and please, no more suggestions of IL2T, B25, Beaufighter, or A20 substitutions; those make about as much sense as WW2 PTO without carriers in the first place). Musashi alone could stand as testament to the pivotal role these planes played: how many Avengers did it take to plant 19 aerial torpedo into that mammoth?

Granted, the title of the game says a lot - the primary focus is on fighters. But if the case, why supply a carrier based dive bomber for each side and exclude any torpedo planes?

All I'm saying here is that there seems to be a decided lack on getting this type of plane into the players' hands. If I'm wrong, then I apologize, but when the dev update bypassed the flyable Avenger for AI Devastators and Jills... it just seems like this isn't going to happen.

Anyone else out there wondering what is going on on this front?

I think they decided to concentrate on finishing the fighters and bombers part of the sim first, so we could start playing with the new features as early as possible, and continue on to complete the torpedo bombers afterwards.

It's a good idea, because we get PF in early November instead of January, and come January (or whenever the patch with the torp planes is complete) we get the complete sim, and Ubi get christmas sales so the series has more money to develop with. It's a win-win scenario really.

Consider PF version 3.02 to be an advanced demo of PF, (which will be released in 2 weeks from the time you enquire about the release date ) with a pre-order built in...

Waiting for the torpedo bombers to be complete before releasing the PF would just be bad for everyone, us, Ubi, 1C, the shops...

I don't think you are wrong at all mate.

But we shouldn't complain. Look at what we have been given since!

'Thanks to our resident guru updaters, Extreme One and bird_brain, we have updates to the missions page, tracks, community screenshots, fansites, and squadrons page. Click the links below to be taken to the pages and we hope you enjoy the downloads!'

and who could forget the amazingly useful,

'The guys over at Worthplaying have a nice review of Pacific Fighters on their website which scores a lovely 8/10! You can read the review over here.'

seems to me we are totally spoiled and have a lot of nerve pestering the designers for a torpedo bomber!

From what I keep getting told here, it is because there are no WW2 torpedo bombers like the TBF left in the world and so there is no cockpit data. This is dispite the fact that an airworthy TBF is within 30 miles of my house and I've even sat in it.

The real reason PF doesn't have the Kate, Devistator or Avenger as flyable is cause 1C has decided that not enough people want them in order for it to be profitable.

On a side note, PF is the first WW2 flight sim based on the Pacific that does not have atleast 2 carrier based torpedo bombers.

xTHRUDx's Avatar Senior Member
    with this logic we could make an awesome racing game with lots of tracks and cars, but the wheels for all of them will come in a later patch. for now you have to just sit on the track. "cool they modeled the wipers," big picture no wheels. i hope you understand the analogy.

I would think that flyable torpedo planes for both sides in PF would be great fun. We may be in for a nice surprise with more patches to PF in the near future I think. Of course, if you have any additional info that may help in making a torpedo bomber a reality, you may want to check out the links below.

Hope others here can help out the modelers interested in a particular project. It would be good if we could work to help them add more aircraft to PF.

Netwings forums that may be useful for those interested and those that may be able to add additional information for the modelers:

Kate info:
    http://www.netwings.org/dcforum/DCForumID43/1233.html

http://www.netwings.org/dcforum/DCForumID43/1211.html

TBD info:
    http://www.netwings.org/dcforum/DCForumID43/1245.html

Netwings forum for modelers, design and development.

http://www.netwings.org/cgi-bin/dcfo...&mm=1&archive=

Charlie901's Avatar Senior Member
    Cause this game was produced by Russian Developers who did not share in the same experience and history of the PTO as the countries that did.

Hence, we have a Western Front game set in the Pacific, where Dive Bombing carriers takes president over having flyable torpedo A/C.

I can agree with the 'get it now rather than later' point (thx for the input, Philips), but it still bothers me that AI-types are still coming before the flyables. We've all read that Avenger is in the works sometime soon, but there hasn't been a hint of any development - no screens, no word on progress, nothing. Perhaps if something leaked out that 'this torp plane is in this stage of modeling', it would satiate many a person's curiosity on this subject.

Maj_Death i think the point about not having reference material is more in the respect of the Kate being flyable, since i think the only one left is a rusted out piece of ****.
    As for the Avenger i think they may be making that flyable, and if they say lack of resourse, then go get some photos for them.
    They can't claim no resourses with you holding a handful of photos now can they?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last ►►