I have been flying the P-39 N for while now and have noticed the red light in the top left corner of the cockpit exhibiting an interesting behaviour. Whenever I throttle back, that light comes on. When I push the throttle forward again it goes off. I have looked at the cockpit reference and it says this is the gear warning light.

So what is it trying to tell me? That the throttle is only cut back for landing and that it is unusual to do so in normal flight? Or that I should lower the landing gear in order to get better deceleration?

Did the real P-39 have some mechanism that tried to detect the pilots intention to land depending on the throttle setting?

If I remember correctly, most modern aircraft have some sort of mechanism, whether it be a light, or a buzzer, that goes off when the throttle is cut to zero or very near it. Basically you are right, it is so pilots don't forget their landing gear, but only on approach. THere have been many accidents where pilots forget to lower there gear only to skid to a stop upon landing. Its just a last ditch effort to warn the pilot that he might be doing a very dumb thing.