The server I usually play on was down last night, so I jumped into the DarkSkies server. The first map that came up was a mid-war Eastern Front map and was quite enjoyable. I had a blast trundling along in my IL-2 with my trusty wingmen, praying that'd we'd be able to slip in under the FW 190s and do some damage.

The guys I was playing with were also fairly new to the server but we all agreed that it was a good map with a good mix of planes and was fairly balanced.

Shame then that the next map that loaded was a late war western front map. A quick look at the user list showed that nearly everyone on blue grabbed a Do-335. Am I the only one who hates seeing these things?

Personally, I'd prefer never to see any of the fantasy planes on any server, but if they have to have them, then I wish there was a way to implement plane limits, like no more than 5 per map or something.

Cajun76's Avatar Senior Member
    You mean hordes of Do-335's and 25lbs Spittoons didn't battle for supremacy of the universe 60+ years ago?

imagine Jet servers after VVS'46 release

Hey, I am with the OAC, which owns and runs the DarkSkies server..

I understand that most people play this game because of the "realism aspect"..
    We run our server with planes sets that are at least attempting to be fun and unique, which compromises realism as far as what planes were used.

And one thing, about the performance and fairness of the Do-335, it performs about like the P-38L in speed, whilst turning is far less in comparison. So, all those people on blue choosing the Do-335 could easily have been taken by the opposing team's P-38L's and Spit25's.

I know that wasn't one of your gripes, but I just think it's funny everyone chose the Dornier, while there were much better planes to choose from.

Von_Rat's Avatar Senior Member
    i like to fly so called "fantasy planes" once in awhile, though i perfer the term "what if" planes.

but some people i guess feel that since its not their particular cup of tea, they'd perfer that no servers to allow them.

sounds rather self centered to me.

Originally posted by Von_Rat:
    i like to fly so called "fantasy planes" once in awhile, though i perfer the term "what if" planes.

but some people i guess feel that since its not their particular cup of tea, they'd perfer that no servers to allow them.

Ouch! Valid criticism though. I guess my "beef", if that's what you want to call it, is with the limitations of the online servers. I'd like to see some sort of rarity system with certain types of planes limited, just so it's not always the same force mix of Spits, 190s, 109s Do-335s, P-47s and a sprinkling of P-38s, Tempests, and Ju-88s. Know what I mean? Perhaps a rak or vote based system. Who knows?

I think there are already DF controller scripts available, which can limit the number of certain plan types in the mission, so what you ask for can be done by the server admins.

You are certainly not alone in hating those things, but since they are modelled in the game, it would be a waste to not to try them.
    They do provide a new challange, and bring some refreshment to the boring matchups. I often wonder whether the "hate" towards those planes originate from the "hate" towards changing a successful fighting style.

IMO "full real" means the full difficulty settings, not necessarily meaning fully historic planesets, these are 2 different things.

Von_Rat's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by sukebeboy:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Von_Rat:

Ouch! Valid criticism though. I guess my "beef", if that's what you want to call it, is with the limitations of the online servers. I'd like to see some sort of rarity system with certain types of planes limited, just so it's not always the same force mix of Spits, 190s, 109s Do-335s, P-47s and a sprinkling of P-38s, Tempests, and Ju-88s. Know what I mean? Perhaps a rak or vote based system. Who knows? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a rareity system would be one way.

or just a occasional map with them allowed. if your going what if, you might as well allow as many as people want to fly them, since its not historical anyway.

Badsight.'s Avatar Senior Member
    whoever says :
    the Do-335 isnt fun
    is a liar

same with the Bf-Z - you cannot help but have fun flying those planes

FluffyDucks's Avatar Banned
    The anteater was NOT a fantasy plane, it was OPERATIONAL in the late war months.