Originally posted by Robocline:
    At the end of your first tutorial you said to erase everything that isn't a panel line i was wondering if you could show an example of the finished product there's alot there and i'm not used to the way things are laid out so i'm a little lost
    Sure, the easiest way would be for you to download one of my 'basic' templates on Flying-Legends. (Here's the link to the Hellcat template) On all of my templates, the layer that I said to erase everything that's not a panel line is the "Panel Lines" layer. After doing that, you can copy the 'Background' layer again and erase all the panel lines to make what I usually call the "Details" layer (engine, cockpit, props, wheels, etc.)

Thanks that helps me with sorting things out

I hope i'm not bothering you too much but i'm trying my best to get the hang of this stuff

i have a nose art i'm trying to do ATM but i can't seem to figure out how it's supposed to be placed into a template if there is one

Thanks Jarink!

Dang...you must know a lot about this program to know detailed things like this.

Taylortony's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Robocline:
    Thanks that helps me with sorting things out

I hope i'm not bothering you too much but i'm trying my best to get the hang of this stuff

i have a nose art i'm trying to do ATM but i can't seem to figure out how it's supposed to be placed into a template if there is one
    open a new layer and copy the nose art then paste it onto the new layer, you can then resize it, change the opacity, brightness, contrast etc to match the skin

Hi all, i'm new here, so please be gentle with me

Thanks a lot for this information jarink. I've been playing with gimp for quite awhile, but havn't ever tried customizing any of the games I've played. I had totally missed that I had to reduce the bitmap to the 8 bit color till I found your post.

Just playing around quickly I made a few for the SeafireMkIII that I threw up if you want to take a look... http://www.chpc.utah.edu/~erik/pf-skins/

I really didn't take much time to make things work out really nice, but the results were fairly good for the little effort I put in.

3) Run the .bmp file through a program called Bright which will reduce it from 24-bit color to the 8-bit color required by the game. Many, many people use this program since it produces excellent results.

When I downloaded Bright program from FL, and clicked on the bright icon, it just flashed and disappeared.

How do I run this?

Thanks,

>I would like some input from people as to what sort of subjects they would like to see covered.
    Go ahead and post some suggestions here!<

I need a tutorial that starts from a downloaded template and ends with a finished .BMP using a BF 109G AS or other aircraft profile from a book used as reference including downloaded user-made decals on a white background.

It seems so overwhelming to me even after having read the tutorials twice.

A lot of the "big-picture" is still very unclear to me even after having read eight or nine GIMP tutorials from this user group. This would infinitely help.

Thanks,

OK, I'll see what I can come up with!

Note: GIMP tutorials links by jarink in the first page now show as being dead links.

Thought you all should know.

~S~

CPS_Triad