My friends and I are flying dogfight battles on a 4.09b server. My friend was flying the FW190 and I185 but he wasn't satisfied. He wants a more stable plane with friendly handling characteristics.

What do you think of the Hellcat? My impression is that it's rugged, good firepower, very stable, and is really difficult to stall. Surprisingly good maneuverability too.

Thanks!

The_Stealth_Owl's Avatar Banned
    Out classed by Bi-planes turning wise and late-ware planes.

Cool plane though.

worst US plane IMO

Check out the P-47 as well. With planes like the P-47, FW-190, Corsair, Hellcat etc, you definitely want to fly to their strengths, which means avoiding turn fights, and going for hit and run attacks

He's maybe looking for the Bf-109, it's a lot more maneuverable in turning than the 190, faster than a Hellcat (for the F and later versions anyway) and doesn't flip over like the 190 when you pull back on the stick hard. The 190 is amazing if you are used to it though.

The Hellcat is ok but has a low top speed and just feels underpowered, kinda like the Wildcat. I prefer the Seafire L for carrier stuff, Spits in general are great at keeping their speed up in maneuvers. The Corsair is ok but flips over a lot and flies like a barn.

Hellcat is good. Watch out for overheating, and don't fly it like a La fighter.

horseback's Avatar Senior Member
    In-game version underperforms in speed and climb, is over sensitive to trim, and the performance & handling improvements that came with the F6F-5 model are not portrayed at all (outside of the rear quarter panel windows being gone).

Your friend would be better off with an early war P-40E/M most of the time, or a Corsair if he is more patient.

cheers

horseback

DKoor's Avatar Senior Member
    Hellcat is always my choice in Navy Ops in PTO on USN side.
    Fighter all around is ok, just lacks some speed.
    It is ok vs Ki-43's and A6M's doing more than a good job, good vs N1K but it's much more even, but vs Ki-84, J2M it is dead in a water since they do everything better than F6F. Those are to be engaged only from superior tactical position.

But I think your friend needs to check out Spitfire series, I find Spitfire Mk.VIII to be awesome fighter. Also Tempest if he likes BnZing people around. Those fighters are equipped with Hispano cannons which is hardest hitting 20mm cannon in game.

The_Stealth_Owl's Avatar Banned
    Turn him into a bi-plnae guy!

Us guys love our bi-planes, and will fight La-7s for them.

I'f your good, you can turn with all late-war planes, and you can even keep up with them!

Shot down a Do-335 and a P-51 online flying a I-153.

Love Bi-planes.

Introduce him to a beginers CR-42.

TinyTim's Avatar Banned
    Hmmm, stable you say? In my experience, F6F is more on the unstable (read: wobbly) side.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last ►►