leitmotiv's Avatar Senior Member
    (With experience with IL-2 COMPLETE and Shockwave's "Wings of Power" series)

Which would you say has the most realistic flight model and why?

I havent tried CFS3 with Firepower but I can tell that the IL2 4.05 FM is very convincing!

I have to say that I was rather disappointed by Il2 from FB1.0 to the late 3.x versions because of the almost non-existant torque and gyro effects (a step-back from the old IL2) but the 4.x series FM is brilliant. For once we have realistic torque which makes the careful use of rudder input/trim a necessity plus the mass of planes seems to make more of an impact to the general stability.

A while ago, I brought my merged pack with me to install, unfortunately, I'd left one of the PF cds at home, so we were stuck with 2.xx or 3.xx. Lemme tell you, those planes were on RAILS! They were shocking Thank you Oleg for some realistic FM! (With my limited flying experience )

Xiolablu3's Avatar Senior Member
    I have never flown a plane before, but I have been a passenger and the 'feeling' of flight is there with IL2 series far more than any other sim I have played.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm fully up to speed with Oleg's Pe-2 addition and I am challenged to the limit by the FS2004 "Wings of Power" Fw 190 radials, inlines, and P-47. Have also been using RealAir's Spitfire XIV---supposedly the the most detailed WWII FM made. I can't even take off in the 190 radials---I badly wipe out every time! When you mishandle the Spitfire, it clanks and bangs like a jalopy. You can hang your head out beyond your windscreen as you take off. The actual movements and behavior remind me more of real aircraft than anything I've ever used. But I am not a real pilot in any sense. This is why I was hoping to get some feedback on this. My suspicion is that Oleg's B OF BRIT is going to be quite a bit like these models. I'm getting my hand in now to lesson the shock!

WWSensei's Avatar Senior Member
    In some areas each are superior to the other. In ground handling IL2 comes no where close IMHO. The amount of torque you would feel in this game is probably close to half of what it would be on average across the aircraft. It's better since 4.01 came out but no where near what it should be. I'm talking about initial rollout and runway and not flight however. So, on the ground the nod goes to Wings.

However, in flight, I think IL2 has the edge. In the area of weather Wings gets the nod and in true engine management they win as well. Graphically, I like IL2 better. The sense of speed and inertia is better in IL2 though it doesn't seem quite right.

The sense of combat in IL2, to me, is more accurate (when you are flying in a somewhat historical manner and not just air quake.) Probably has to do with the factor above though, to be honest, I've not been in combat in prop driven aircraft.

Jackpot---I was hoping to get your opinion, WWSensei! Have any hints on how to get the "Wings of Power" 190 radials off the ground without rolling upside down and smashing-in? I can't get a grip on the beasts! The inlines just want to go straight and bore a hole in the air while wailing like banshees---I am finding them easier to learn.

WWSensei's Avatar Senior Member
    Takes smoothness. Smooth application of rudder as you smoothly throttle up. Unlike most of the IL2 aircraft where you can throttle from 0-100 in 2-3 seconds with little penalty try taking a 15-20 second transition on the throttle while you apply rudder pressure to keep alignment. Also, make sure to lock the tail wheel as well...haven't flown Wings or CFS3 in ages so can't remember if it does tail wheel lock or not or if I'm just thinking IL2 again...

Scen's Avatar Senior Member
    I can't tell you the difference between CFS3 and IL2 but I can comment on IL2 as it compares to real flying.

For a PC game it's one of the best out there. There are a few things still missing in some of the stalls but over all it's pretty dang cool. Most of the sims of the past are nothing like real flight and IL2 there's quite a bit going on that gives you the feeling of flight.

slipBall's Avatar Senior Member
    Both suffer on the ground performance weakness, very disapointing sometimes. Ms2004 is a great flight model, but it is lacking in grafic's, and near ground, and on ground surface behavior. Il-2 with its superb grafic's, and views, suffers from unrealistic flight as to stalls, and acceleration as to takeoff climbing out. The original il-2 is closer to my experiences of flying, but still lacking in some on ground aircraft behavour's