I did something completely ******ed last week. After reading about the announcement of MS Flight Simulator X to be released in Nov-Dec 2006, I went and bought FS 2004. I needed a quick fix of something other than IL2, you know, to mix it up a bit. OMYGOD! What a horrible mistake that was! I thought it was supposed to be good. The FM was the biggest joke ever! The planes were rather sad in their construction, and the camera can't be moved around freely. The user is confined to locked views by using the number keys.

I tried to keep an open mind but any way I sliced it, the game just sucked the big one. Well, it went straight back to Compusmart the next day. The manager was very cool and took it back no problem, chuckling under his breath.

My point is this: IL2 is simply the most unbelievably broad and refined WW2 sim ever, with absolutely nothing comparable to it. Sure, there's some new kids on the block lately, (I won't mention names) but nothing has been able to offer the sheer wealth of unbelievable well constructed aircraft and FMs that this sime has provided over the past 6 years. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's daaaaaamn close!!

Oleg's new add-on with the VERY EAGERLY AWAITED new aircraft is just the icing on the cake. Some of us have been panicking... waiting with baited breath at these new ``Prize Planes`` that will be released. A kid could do no better. At the mere mention of the words *add-on* or *new aircraft* from Oleg and co, we go nuts, we fall off our chairs, breathing becomes difficult and etc.. We are the most harcore, all-singing, undying WW2 aircraft junkies this planet has ever known, and our profound passion for this simulation and its creators will drive this industry into the future, with no end in sight. Girl-friends have walked out, marriages have gone down in flames, jobs have been lost, but happiness has always prevailed. Why? Because, Oleg and co have been there to listen.. and provide.

Thanks Oleg and co! You guys rock my world!

Peace out

Birdie Num-nums a.k.a The Jabberwocky

I did something completely ******ed last week. After reading about the announcement of MS Flight Simulator X to be released in Nov-Dec 2006, I went and bought FS 2004. I needed a quick fix of something other than IL2, you know, to mix it up a bit. OMYGOD! What a horrible mistake that was! I thought it was supposed to be good. The FM was the biggest joke ever! The planes were rather sad in their construction, and the camera can't be moved around freely. The user is confined to locked views by using the number keys.

I tried to keep an open mind but any way I sliced it, the game just sucked the big one. Well, it went straight back to Compusmart the next day. The manager was very cool and took it back no problem, chuckling under his breath.

My point is this: IL2 is simply the most unbelievably broad and refined WW2 sim ever, with absolutely nothing comparable to it. Sure, there's some new kids on the block lately, (I won't mention names) but nothing has been able to offer the sheer wealth of unbelievable well constructed aircraft and FMs that this sime has provided over the past 6 years. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's daaaaaamn close!!

Oleg's new add-on with the VERY EAGERLY AWAITED new aircraft is just the icing on the cake. Some of us have been panicking... waiting with baited breath at these new ``Prize Planes`` that will be released. A kid could do no better. At the mere mention of the words *add-on* or *new aircraft* from Oleg and co, we go nuts, we fall off our chairs, breathing becomes difficult and etc.. We are the most harcore, all-singing, undying WW2 aircraft junkies this planet has ever known, and our profound passion for this simulation and its creators will drive this industry into the future, with no end in sight. Girl-friends have walked out, marriages have gone down in flames, jobs have been lost, but happiness has always prevailed. Why? Because, Oleg and co have been there to listen.. and provide.

Thanks Oleg and co! You guys rock my world!

Peace out

I'm sure I replied to this post somewhere, yet this is a different thread...

FS9 isn't too bad. It's like apples and oranges to compare Il2 to FS9 - they feature planes, and you can fly over Russia or the Pacific if you like, but that's the only thing they have in common.

russ.nl's Avatar Senior Member
    Amen!

FS9 is great at what it sets out to do. It doesn't claim to be a combat flight simulator. It simulates non combat situations, and it does it very well.

Oh and btw, I don't know what you tried, but you can move the camera more freely than in FB.

You are right that FB is the greatest WWII combat sim however.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BirdieNum-nums:
    I needed a quick fix of something other than IL2, you know, to mix it up a bit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know exactly what you mean. after a year or two of playing IL2, you think "There must be a flight-sim if not better, that`s actually as good as IL2 by now?"

You just feel like a change. So you buy...

CFS3, BOBwov, Fs2004, etc...

And it`s like a kick in the teeth, every single flight-sim out there is badly outclassed. NO ONE has managed to even equal IL2 in all this time. Experiencing them against IL2 is a real eye-opener. BOBwov I had high hopes for, but while it has good stuff (like immersive campaign), there`s always that horrible sinking feeling with the actuall aircraft in battle... sounds that were so raved are just samples that cut out, aircraft have no individuality and the strange flying characteristics of AI is somewhat deflating... and as for CFS3...

Other flight games not mentioned are just arcade.

Those who complain about IL2 do so knowing there`s really nothing else at the moment and still keep flying IL2...

I don`t know if anyone`s going to match Oleg`s IL2, but they`re really going to have to pull their finger out if they`re gonna have any hope of just beginning to catch him up.

Try lock on flaming cliffs with the new patch 1.11 and you will have a great time. It is of course a jet simulator and a fine one at that which gives hours of fun. It is a great change from the prop sim and a good online community, try it out for a change.

I know that it's like comparing oranges and apples but hey, they're both flight sims right? One is combat oriented and the other is not. But that aside, why was I not impressed by FS9? What is it about it that made it feel stale and just well.. boring. Maybe because I'm a die-hard WW2 fighter plane junkie and it ends there. But hang on: I love every type of aircraft, be it vintage, military, civilian, agricultural, sailplane, conceptual... am I leaving any out?? So you see, I'm not an exclusive ww2 warbird fan, I love all types. But they are my passion, and nobody does them better than Oleg and co.

MS9 is not a pile of junk, I understand that. But it doesn't inspire me to play it.. it doesn't call to me. Let's face it, real flying is a blast, and infinitely more fun than any simulation. But sims are there for people who a)can`t fly, b)don't have a plane, c)are afraid of heights, d)don't have the money... e) or who just want to play sims mmmkay? That being said, a SIMULATION of just normal peacetime flying, with not a whole lot going on by way of real and natural stimulation that is obtainable through REAL flight, is frankly, not that exciting. Maybe if FS9 had some missions or something, like what the new version will be offering, it could only help.

Like grabbing a water bomber and putting out some forest fires in Yosemite.
    Or locating and rescuing some stranded skiers in the Alps, while flying through a storm, while taking some damage to your Pilatus.
    Or flying a helicopter ambulance and picking up a patient from a swanky Manhattan penthouse and delivering them to a hospital in Yonkers.
    Now that, could be exciting.

But for now, I think I'll stick to chasing zeros and dodging flak.

There's a hidden benefit to FS9 that most people don't really stop to consider.

First, FS9 is actually pretty good. Not exciting or technically astounding as IL2 of course, but really puts you in the seat of the modern private or commercial air pilot.

Second, when you take the time to REALLY learn the specifics, such as navigation, proper landing approach, engine management and emergency procedures, then you take this stuff into the IL2 sim..... WOW!!!

FS9 makes you learn more, think analytically and FOCUS. Every time I play a flight in FS9 and then go back to IL2 for some missions, they turn out to be the BEST FLIGHT SIM EXPERIENCE EVER!!! Because I'm sharper, more confident and have new skills, it's a much more real and exciting experience.... especially when you're switching to smaller, more powerful planes and a more accurate flight model.

As the title says..... PURE GOODNESS!

Dunkelgrun's Avatar Senior Member
    Birdie Num-nums . What was that film? Peter Sellers of course.

Cheers!