F19_Olli72's Avatar Senior Member
    Speaking at a conference, he said: "Would you think it unreasonable if I ordered you to fly your aircraft into the ground in order to destroy a vehicle carrying a Taleban or al-Qaeda commander?". LOL gotta love the comment from one of the pilots: "I'm prepared to give it a go but only if the Air Vice-Marshal shows me how to do it first." Classic!

http://www.women.timesonline.co.uk/t...cle1605881.ece

F19_Olli72's Avatar Senior Member
    Speaking at a conference, he said: "Would you think it unreasonable if I ordered you to fly your aircraft into the ground in order to destroy a vehicle carrying a Taleban or al-Qaeda commander?". LOL gotta love the comment from one of the pilots: "I'm prepared to give it a go but only if the Air Vice-Marshal shows me how to do it first." Classic!

http://www.women.timesonline.co.uk/t...cle1605881.ece

It's one thing to ask your pilots to think like the enemy - that's a sound psychological ploy to create an understanding of the people you are facing - but it's another thing to expect them to behave in the same way.

In fact, it makes the fight seem rather pointless if both sides are composed of suicidal fanatics led by callous madmen - if I'm reading the propaganda correctly?

B

Cajun76's Avatar Senior Member
    I think his question is more of a what-if, to highlight the seriousness of the threats they may face. There's a lot of misinformation in the media about the threats civilized societies (Muslim, Arab, Persian, Western, whatever) face. Their willingness to attack our leaders on things they have no clue about and lead many in our own population to "think" the same way undermines the free worlds' security.

Say your on a training flight and a hijacked airliner is headed toward a population center. Already there's a conundrum: The lives of the people on board vs the massive destruction of a direct hit on a heavily populated area.

Now, you have no ammo and your the only one who can respond in time if you get the go ahead to take the airliner out before it gets downtown. Simply: Are you prepared?

Your training and your oath (over here we make an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution of the US, I would think GB would have something similar) come down to one moment where you can make a difference. Remote? Yes, but as a former member of the military, I feel it's the kind of gut-check you should do ever once in awhile.

leitmotiv's Avatar Senior Member
    The Royal Navy is being reduced to a coast defense force, and now this. The British armed forces are in a state of decadence.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cajun76:
    I think his question is more of a what-if, to highlight the seriousness of the threats they may face. There's a lot of misinformation in the media about the threats civilized societies (Muslim, Arab, Persian, Western, whatever) face. Their willingness to attack our leaders on things they have no clue about and lead many in our own population to "think" the same way undermines the free worlds' security.

Say your on a training flight and a hijacked airliner is headed toward a population center. Already there's a conundrum: The lives of the people on board vs the massive destruction of a direct hit on a heavily populated area.

Now, you have no ammo and your the only one who can respond in time if you get the go ahead to take the airliner out before it gets downtown. Simply: Are you prepared?

Your training and your oath (over here we make an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution of the US, I would think GB would have something similar) come down to one moment where you can make a difference. Remote? Yes, but as a former member of the military, I feel it's the kind of gut-check you should do ever once in awhile. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

heywooood's Avatar Senior Member
    Hmmm - one perceives a threat to oneself or ones own kind, and has three fundamental choices.

One is to evade the threat and escape - make a note of the threat and then avoid that area/being/situation in the future. (selfish - non empathetic...not the usual military response)

Two is to evade the threat - recognise the danger to others and either warn them of the threat - gather forces and remove the threat or capture and quarantine the threat thus not only saving himself, but all others who might be victimised. (non selfish and empathetic but time consuming and often leads to the threat escaping)

Three is to immediately attack the threat with little or no regard for ones own safety because this manner of sudden all or nothing effort gives the threat no time to escape and prepare for the other scenario. In this scenario, one must be certain in his mind that this is indeed a severe threat to himself and others of his kind and must know without doubt or question, why he has chosen this path.

I think that this commander has evaluated the enemy and come to the conclusion that this particular threat warrants all out confrontation and elimination regardless of the individual cost.

As the ranking officer isn't it his evaluation that must be respected?
    Where is the chain of command if he is questioned?
    Why should our armed forces wear uniforms and insignia of rank if this is not so? Why not wear bedsheets and fanbelts on our heads if this is not so?