blakduk's Avatar Senior Member
    To all those i mislead with my earlier rant that it was just about impossible to kill a Yak unless you drove it into a mountain, i apologise.
    I present here evidence that proves me wrong...

1:1 with a Yak in a Bf109F-4, slightly injured him in the unimportant bits

Light cannon hit in the right wing to slow him down

Some more peripheral damage to slow down his manouvers

Get him into a rolling scissors to get a better angle on his engine/cockpit

I honestly think these Russian engines were made of solid granite

Again into the rolling scissors to hit him from the other side... just to show that both sides are almost invulnerable

A quick zoom past and the silly sod tries to follow me in a climb, when he's taken so many hits already

At least he's slowed down enough for me to easily turn back around behind his wingline, and try to take his wing off

The wings must be bolted on with something the space-shuttle could certainly use

At least he's slow enough now to line up with ease

The pilots were noted for their lightning reflexes and ability to dodge shrapnel

The trick is to line him up for a long burst from close range

But if you keep firing for long enough you will eventually be able to see evidence of damage

Which will get progressively worse

Yet he will still be able to fly with only minimal impairment

He will be going quite slowly though (all that lead you put on him must be quite heavy)

Does anyone remember that game where you had to remove skewers from a pile that was holding up marbles? For some reason i'm reminded of that game...

If you take very careful aim you can make the Yak look like a furry caterpillar

But don't overdo it!

They are mortal after all

And there we have it, proof that you can kill a Yak with the ammunition the 3rd Reich provided

Happy ending

I think we're outgrowing this title...

LEBillfish's Avatar Senior Member
    Odd, I kill Yaks with a Ki-43-1a in only 3 rounds. Rookie?

Originally posted by LEBillfish:
    Odd, I kill Yaks with a Ki-43-1a in only 3 rounds. Rookie?
    No, just a lousy shot

The Yaks are good target practice though, now when i fly against other fighters, such as Spitfires and Hurricanes, it only takes a couple of hits and they fall apart

i still cant get Arcade mode even if i switch Arcade from a (0) to a (1)

Originally posted by MadRuski:
    i still cant get Arcade mode even if i switch Arcade from a (0) to a (1)
    It should be working- are you ensuring that you hit 'save' before closing the conf file?

Another solution might be to use Il2 Shturmovik Stab which you can get here-
    http://www.users.on.net/~mjtm/IL-2/

I use that to start my game and under the 'options' tab there is a tickbox to indicate if you want Arcade mode to come on. I highly recommend it, i have it set up to start everything i want to load when i start the game such as VAC and the TrackIR.

You just need the right plane for Yak hunting.

Yak

No Yak

raaaid's Avatar Senior Member

The trick is to line him up for a long burst from close range
    Eternal wisdom!

Yes you are wrong, you kan kill a Yak...

so here we are, cruising in a F-4 (tried with F2 as well with similar result)...

...and spot a Yak7...

... ops PK after a short burst. Hmm sure I got him but that doesn't prove the structural strength we were talking about, so...

another cruise....

with same planeset...

ops, first burst missed, just two bullets hit, we shouldn't expect him explode after that result... so try again....

...4 or 5 hits, and his left wing looks like Swiss cheese and breaks off.... YES you can take down a Yak, easily.