MB_Avro_UK's Avatar Senior Member
    Hi all,

Hope this works. Are the RAF aircraft Blenheims or Beauforts?

It seems that one of the RAF planes is hit. The commentary states that 5 RAF planes were shot down.

I was impressed as to how hard the crews pressed home their attacks..

Best Regards,
    MB_Avro.

Blenheim. Nice footage - thanks.

leitmotiv's Avatar Senior Member
    The first two "torpedoflieger" shown are Blenheim IVs, and the rest are real ones---Beauforts. Talk about press on regardless. The Beauforts came at the transports straight and level and you can see their torp splashes right beneath them (they are also distingushable from the Blenheims by their deep bellies). The Blenheims came at the transports like greased pigs, squirming all the way. Were they there just to draw fire away from the vulnerable Beauforts?

Originally posted by leitmotiv:
    The first two "torpedoflieger" shown are Blenheim IVs, and the rest are real ones---Beauforts. Talk about press on regardless. The Beauforts came at the transports straight and level and you can see their torp splashes right beneath them (they are also distingushable from the Blenheims by their deep bellies). The Blenheims came at the transports like greased pigs, squirming all the way. Were they there just to draw fire away from the vulnerable Beauforts?

Hi Leitmotiv,

Good observations

The first aircraft seemed to release a 'double' load as it passed over the stern of the filming KM (German) warship.

One of the RAF aircraft appeared to be hit by flak from the filming warship as it passed overhead.

One of the supply ships was hit.

It would be interesting to establish the date of this clip and relate it to ship and aircraft losses.

Cool courage IMHO by the RAF guys...

Best Regards,
    MB_Avro.

Xiolablu3's Avatar Senior Member
    NIce footage, thanks!

Rommel always suspected somehting was a miss.

He could not understand how, with the thousands of miles of ocean to search, that in so many cases a British plane could find his supply ships and destroy them.

It led to him being short of equipment and fuel and it was of course, that Enigma traffic was being read constantly.

SOmehow the ALlies managed to keep up the ruse that they had not broken Enigma all through the war. You would think that if Rommel suspected, that the NAzis would have launched a thourough inverstigation into whether Enigma had been broken.

However, I think ROmmel actually suspected a traitor more than the codes being broken, as he was assured how complex the Enigma machine was.

Great clip.

If anyone is interested in ops like this "Torpedo Leader" by Wing Commander Patrick Gibbs is a great book about the author's time flying anti-shipping missions in the Med.

Those were some unbelievably tough missions.

Right you are, Avro. I winced looking at that Blenheim getting chopped up by auto-cannon fire:

As it passed over the ship, it looked like it was spewing gas or smoke:

Here is your Blenheim chucking its eggs at the fantail of that KM ship---I missed this completely---good eyes:

Here is one of a Beaufort as its torp impacts in the water---note it is straight and level as all torp bombers must be---a dead givaway:

@ Leitmotiv,

I've had this clip on my H/D for some time but I can't remember where I found it.

But to me it's a fantastic clip of wartime action. It's almost similar to US clips of Japanese Kamikaze attacks. The attacking aircraft are so close and determined.

Wish I could find out more about this mission...

Best Regards,
    MB_Avro.

As far as I know, it is a clip from the German weekly news shown in the cinemas during the war like the Pathe news in the UK. I'd date it 1941 on the basis of the aircraft types in use. I am not sure when the Blenheims were withdrawn from Malta. Maybe it is 1942. It certainly demonstrates the determination of the Blenheim and Beaufort crews. Those "Vierling" quad 20mm pieces were murder. If the Germans had had a decent medium, like the 40mm Bofors, they would have been dead ducks (the German naval 37mm was a lousy piece---they finally dumped it for the Army 37mm). I have many books on Blenheim operations (I'm a Blenheim fanatic). I'll try to find some info on this.

That`s an amazing clip. Never seen it before. I was really willing for those guys not to be shot down and winced when one looked like it was hit. It also reminds me of an IL2 track where similar planes are making an attack on ships. And it`s REAL, not some sim that those pilots can get up from if killed. Notice how they also make small weave moments to minimise being hit and STILL drop their torpedoes. Brave, brave men. salute.

cheers, MB_Avro_UK.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last ►►