Since original IL-2 I flew almost exclusively russian/allied planes, but now I have to learn to fly late 109 effectively beacuse a new western front campaign in my squad, the thing is, while test flying late 109 models I found out that is actually impossible to blackout with any of these planes, it isn't a bit odd? I mean, I can blackout with a SBD!!

BUT then again, I AM just learning to master these birds, maybe i am doing something wrong that prevents me to pull the G's required to pass out.
    Any tips?
    S!
    Pato

Since original IL-2 I flew almost exclusively russian/allied planes, but now I have to learn to fly late 109 effectively beacuse a new western front campaign in my squad, the thing is, while test flying late 109 models I found out that is actually impossible to blackout with any of these planes, it isn't a bit odd? I mean, I can blackout with a SBD!!

BUT then again, I AM just learning to master these birds, maybe i am doing something wrong that prevents me to pull the G's required to pass out.
    Any tips?
    S!
    Pato

S!,
    You may want to check your in-game settings. It is very easy to blackout/redout in any plane when pulling high G moves.

If you're not getting blackouts, then it must be your settings or stick profile (not adding enough deflection).

HB

That's wierd because I swear I blackout easier in the 109 than other planes.

Tully__'s Avatar Global Moderator
    At high speeds you may need some nose up trim to help overcome the very high elevator forces the 109's suffer from. Without that aid you may not be able to turn hard enough to black out. The aircraft is certainly capable of blacking you out though provided the "Blackouts/Redouts" difficulty setting is turned on.

Yep finally was able to black out in G-10 and G-14 BUT only with full elevator trim up, still trying with K-4, no luck yet.
    BTW isn't strange such poor elevator response for a fighter plane? I mean, blackout is directly subordinated to the aircraft's ability of pulling High G's, is historicaly correct such a poor performance on late 109's?
    S!
    Pato

Well you may open up a can of worms by asking that question...the 109 fans will say that it is inaccurate for the most part...I've read contradicting information. Based on what I've read, I think the turn rates and control effectiveness are pretty good...there is still a side of me that thinks it is a little too good at slow speeds....mainly G2.

Some things that I have read consistantly about the 109 states that it had poor control harmonization...by that I mean the rudder and ailerons were light and effective while the elevator was heavy. The 109 didn't like high speed, especially in thick air.

I just picked up a book written by a British test pilot who had the opportunity to fly all sorts of German aircraft, primarily after the war and was a top test pilot. He flies a 109G6 and wrote stuff that was pretty consistant with what I just said...he stated that at 400mph at like 10,000 ft (can't remember exactly but it was in thick air) the controls were almost locked...he said he wouldnt go any faster than 440 due to the heavyness....in addition, the cockpit is cramped which may or may not make it difficult to put as much into the stick and exagerate the elevator effectiveness.

All in all, the 109 has heavy elevators in game, it did in real life but I can't say if it is an accurate portrait of what it was really like....but from a standpoint of relativity I think it is good...I suspect the blackout can't be had at high speeds...but if you do a loop of 45 degrees, i'll bet you can black out...the only plane I really can't get a blackout in consistantly is the Lightning J model...but you can get a black screen if you do everything just right.

I wish
    Check your settings.
    You need a pillow and a drool bucket in the 109
    You will be sleeping allot!

mortoma's Avatar Senior Member
    I read something on some website called "The myths of the 109" and that guy said it's a myth that it had heavy elevator forces. At least until 470 or so MPH. But Oleg made it lock up at only 470 KPH!!! Quite a bit slower than 470 MPH I'd say. So I think the Maddox crew got confused between metric units and imperial. Makes sense......

LeadSpitter_'s Avatar Banned
    you can definatly blackout with the late 109s especially the 109k high speeds 700-890kmph without trim and even moreso with trim.

mortoma close that website and never open it again, the 109 had one of the smallest and worst elevators of any ac during the war.

AC that had a tighter sustained turn radius

f2a2
    b239
    p36
    h75
    h82
    p40b c
    p39
    i16
    i153
    yak
    la
    hurricane
    spitfire
    ki43
    ki44
    n1k2 george
    raiden
    zeke
    ki84
    ki100

and many other.

The 190 is clearly the better ac, and the 109 was obsolete very early but had no choice to be used just like the

p40s
    p39s etc

while they were tighter turning ac both low and high speed they were considered obsolete

by just these 3 factors

range
    alt
    speed

dont forget 80% of the inventory was the 109g6 and 190a8 in 1944-45