Hey guys

As it has been a while since the release of the Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands.

I decided to look for the sale figures of PoP TFS. Here are my results from the sale figures.
    The game was not a success. Ubisoft's idea of trying to capture the audience from the movie has not worked due to the movie approximately 320 million overall and approximately only 90 million domestically.

The top grossing platform was the PS3 version with approximately 30,500 copies and Xbox 360's version sold about 29,000 for the month of May in the US/Canada. This tally indicates that it has done worse than Prince of Persia 2008 (~61% worse than PoP 2008's initial month's numbers (US/Canada only)).

PoP:TFS sold less than 100K combined for all platforms in May.

The overall estimated worldwide sales including: DS/PS3/Xbox360/Wii/PSP/PC are approximately ~0.4 million (400,000) so far to this date.

The best selling platform was PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, DS=PSP, and then PC.

Once again European sales were a lot better over the longevity of the release. While in the US, the sales shot straight down after initial sales being better than Europe.

So what this mean to you for the future of the Persia Series? What direction should the PoP Team take the series?

The only thing to do is to follow this thread

I guess this was not a reviving game. I feel UBI is not paying attention to POP as another game in the same lines is given the priority. Yes - Assassins creed.2 successful games in 2 years.I guess its a balance of priority that is leaving the series unnoticed.I think series needs a revival with more detailing to game play than predecessors but not ruining prince's character.I don't think prince's character was justified well enough for avid fans to play it.I believe there is great character development in lines of "two thrones" but PS2 was an ambitious venture.Current consoles can handle detailing in "two thrones" better.

M-dahaka's Avatar Senior Member
    It's finally happening, PoP is dying

They need to rethink the series seriously to fix this mess...

Originally posted by M-dahaka:
    It's finally happening, PoP is dying

They need to rethink the series seriously to fix this mess...
    You shouldn't see it that bad. Yes, PoP is gettling less sales, but this is not only caused by the DRM campaign. It is because the last 2 PoPs lacked of quality regarding the old Trilogy, or better say, Sands of Time and Warrior Within (which reached Platinum unlike T2T).
    This means Ubisoft has little care for the franchise and rather intent to throw canon fodder for the small fanbase which still stay loyal to the series. And then Ubisoft has to drop the franchise because of low sales.
    And then some company buys the right and THEN revive it.

It is the only way I currently see hope of a better future.

I believe that If POP TFS isnt working well sales wise, It has nothing to do with the movie rather than it has to do with the worse promotion they did infact No Promotion at all. It did work for me though

Originally posted by Zapages:
    Here are my results from the sale figures.
    You should at least mention the source for these numbers, especially when they're from VGChartz (which, judging from the numbers, I assume they are).

So what this mean to you for the future of the Persia Series? What direction should the PoP Team take the series?
    One that doesn't involve rushing games to the market in order to meet the release date for a movie, because there's no denying they did and that's the main reason the sales were a disaster. What they need to do now is stop ruining the SoT franchise even further and start working on the sequel PoP 2008, which unlike TFS actually was an inspired game with tons of potential. Knowing Ubisoft though, they may very well go "BG&E" on the franchise and put it in the freezer.

Daroth its a combination of NPD/VGChartz/and my European source.

Also I forgot to mention this for May:

- Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (PS3) - 30,508 (#13)
    - Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (X360) - 29,062 (#17)
    - Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (Wii) - 9,080 (#52)
    - Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (DS) - 6,942 (#73)
    - Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (PSP) - 4,577 (#129)

and I think it came in 9th place in Europe for the month of May...

UnDead_Knight1's Avatar Senior Member
    I guess that's what happens when you release a rushed game, with no promotion, with mediocre gameplay combined with that oh so wonderful DRM.

Originally posted by pop_sot:
    I believe that If POP TFS isnt working well sales wise, It has nothing to do with the movie rather than it has to do with the worse promotion they did infact No Promotion at all. It did work for me though
    This. Think of the hype around AC2. Ubi completely bailed on marketing both PoP08 and PoP:TFS. This series isn't Modern Warfare or a Valve title where the people are the machine that drives hype. Creating excitement and awareness takes more than a website a month before launch and a couple TV spots on G4TV (at least they did Developer Diaries for PoP08, TFS didn't even get that).

There's just an air of indifference on Ubi's part for their product that we've all picked up on. We all detected the movie cash-in rush job right away and it made us leery (plus the baffling decision to change the SoT box art). They're getting exactly the sort of response they put into it: Nothing.

As far as the future of the series, I hope they either continue with what PoP08 started or go with a fresh new Prince. I hope it doesn't die entirely, because despite the few combat, story and technical hiccups, Prince of Persia is a benchmark for excellent platforming and level design.