As the use of widescreen displays and monitors increases dramatically, what is the current thinking as it relates to allowing the sim to support 16:9 resolution in the next patch?

You can force the sim into a 16:9 resolution using the config file. This will give you a widescreen, unstretched view. However, the sim will CROP a significant portion of your view off the top and bottom to maintain the 4:3 aspect ratio. The link below illustrates my point. Can someone pull this picture off of the link, and post it here?

http://www.jg51.net/forums/viewthread.php?tid=2662

So to get a full view, you must configure your resolution to a 4:3 aspect ratio, and live with the black bars or a stretched view that makes your gunsight look like an oval.

Every other sim/game of which I'm aware provides widescreen support. I know some consider it a cheat, as it would give widescreen players a better view. But geez, let's keep up with the times. Those black bars are awful expensive!

Just to be clear, if you are using the config file to give you a widescreen display of the sim, you are losing about 25% of your view on the top and bottom of the screen.

S!!
    Animal

As the use of widescreen displays and monitors increases dramatically, what is the current thinking as it relates to allowing the sim to support 16:9 resolution in the next patch?

You can force the sim into a 16:9 resolution using the config file. This will give you a widescreen, unstretched view. However, the sim will CROP a significant portion of your view off the top and bottom to maintain the 4:3 aspect ratio. The link below illustrates my point. Can someone pull this picture off of the link, and post it here?

http://www.jg51.net/forums/viewthread.php?tid=2662

So to get a full view, you must configure your resolution to a 4:3 aspect ratio, and live with the black bars or a stretched view that makes your gunsight look like an oval.

Every other sim/game of which I'm aware provides widescreen support. I know some consider it a cheat, as it would give widescreen players a better view. But geez, let's keep up with the times. Those black bars are awful expensive!

Just to be clear, if you are using the config file to give you a widescreen display of the sim, you are losing about 25% of your view on the top and bottom of the screen.

S!!
    Animal

Native 16:9 is impossible now. In BoB maybe, if you're lucky.

Why do you all buy huge widescreen monitors instead of huge 4:3 monitors? Do you watch that many movies with your PC?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by neural_dream:

Why do you all buy huge widescreen monitors instead of huge 4:3 monitors? Do you watch that many movies with your PC? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IL2 and Movies is not the only thing we do on out computers. About 90% of the new games support wide screen format. I have a nice dell 20.1" wide screen. Even my Xbox 360 supports my wide screen monitor. I dont remember a recent game that did NOT support wide screen.

And you prefer 16:9 for games?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Native 16:9 is impossible now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Where did you hear this? And what do you mean by native?

Right now we have widescreen "unofficial" support in that we can set our own aspect ratio. The problem is the fov is measured left-to-right and thus widescreeners loose height.

Now if we put our widescreens on-end (rotate 90 degrees), then the FOV measured left-to-right will end up giving us extra height. So is there a big reason why FOV is measured horizontally instead of vertically? And what does that have to do with native support? I just want a change in the FOV calculations. I would imagine the best results would be for FOV to be calculated by the min of horizontal and verticle. That way both horizontal and verticle widescreeners would benifit.

native 16:9 means that you don't lose height, plus you still have the additional width. The additional width is rendered but doesn't appear on screen in the 4:3 monitor.

Native would be if here: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63110913/m...831083762#4831083762
    you could see the bottom row of instruments in the wildcat.

Not a big deal if you have TrackIR I suppose and if you like your 16:9 monitor very much. For me the instruments are very important and I don't have TrackIR, and that's why I prefer my 4:3 over my 16:9 when I play old games like Sturmovik .

Scen's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by neural_dream:

Why do you all buy huge widescreen monitors instead of huge 4:3 monitors? Do you watch that many movies with your PC? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you serious? Take a look at the trend in monitors and TVs... 4:3 is going bye bye

Scen's Avatar Senior Member
    And you prefer 16:9 for games? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes they blow away 4:3...

I've noticed the trend. But why? I suppose it's easier to sell a huge 16:9 than a huge 4:3 for reasons of space (maybe not). Anyway, interesting.
    To tell you the truth I bought my widescreen only because I never had one .