Anyone using one of these yet ?

Would be interested in hearing some info on this cards performance.

S!

This must be extremely new. At first I thought you meant the Geforce 6800 (which I`ve only just ordered). But checking around I do see there`s a 7800...

It must be really expensive. No idea what it`s like.

I just replaced my 5200 with a 6800GT (I never get sick of saying that) .

I'm very happy with it. I probably won't be looking at getting another until BoB comes out.

space_bandit's Avatar Member
    from THG site:
    blades of grass or chain-link fences are rendered more sharply by applying a technique similar to the way ClearType makes anti-aliased text look sharper against a multi-color backdrop

Wonder if that makes planes easier to spot.

lbhskier37's Avatar Senior Member
    mmmm sounds like something that will run water 3. I bet it still won't be enough to play BoB on full settings when it comes out.

4 cards available here http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Products.ASP?CatID=15&Ca...Cards&Thumbnails=yes

Review here http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/229/1/

edit: sadly no IL2 benchmarks.
    Which site usualy uses IL2 to bench?

7800GTX

The 7800 chip has 8 vertex shader pipelines and 24 pixel shader pipes, whereas the chip in 6800 Ultra boards contains 6 vertex pipes and 16 pixel pipes. The extra pipelines account for much of the new chip's high transistor count.
    , but even more interesting is
    At the same time, NVidia's engineers analyzed how those pipelines work and optimized them to run typical game code faster than before. The result, NVidia says, is that the 7800 GTX can outrun the 6800 Ultra pipe-for-pipe.

If I went for it, I would want the sooner or later 512 card, not 256. With an actual new and advanced GPU, 24 pipelines and each of those pipelines being faster than the ones in the 6800u, you may not actually push to using 512, but you probably will be able to push beyond 256. If I started off running two of those in SLI, it wouldn't be a problem, but I doubt I would buy 7800GTX x2, plus a PCIx mobo at the same time. The comparisons they used in that link was using only one 7800GTx and it already beats every other card (according to them) and SLI sounds nice, but in reality, hasn't been much for performance increase, never mind best bang for the buck since it's not much of a bang and a heck of alot of bucks.

nvidia says the card should be in the market..today. I looked around, haven't found anyone selling yet. Nvidia wants it to sell ay $599 or so, about as much as the PCIx 6800u. I am sure this price will be marked up past what nvidia wants. I got my 6800u first month it came out. I paid well over the list price nvidia was qouting for it then.

I am not really hurting for a new video card at the moment and although the 7800GTx already shows that it out performs everything, its not that big of a difference.

The card I am interested in seeing is ATI crossfire cards. Hopefully it'll be comparable in performance to the 7800GTx, plus it runs 6 monitors......I haven't seen specs on the 7800GTx, but I don't think it supports that.

I don't get the need for 512mb cards, the resolution is hardly going to be pushed over 1600*1200, with full AA/AF you should have no problems with 256mb.

You can buy the 7800gtx for â£100 less than 6800U 512MB. Most monitors that can manage 1600*1200 do so at 75Hz or less which I personaly can't watch for long. So I suspect many people will be running at 1280 for comfort.

I know you can cache more textures with 512mb cards but with the *16 PCI-e interface you should notice little differece from a 256mb card.

Now running 6 monitors, Now that would take a chunk of memory for sure.

Newegg already has them, saw a PCI-X Leadtek 7800GTX on there for $599.00

S`

Firingsquad has posted some FB and PF benchmarks:

here