maztec's Avatar Senior Member
    Is your DVD drive having problems with DVD Disc #2? Then you have came to the right place.

This is one of the most common problems with Myst IV Revelation. There are several potential causes:

1) Make sure you haven't placed any new fingerprints (or dirt) on DVD #2, if so wash gently with warm non-abrasive soapy water and dry with a soft lint-free cloth. Be careful, you wouldn't want to scratch your shiny disk!

2) You may have software running that is causing some form of installation conflict? Make sure you disable any programs that are running in the background. Also turn off any adware, spyware, or viruses you may have. Feel free to turn them back on after installation -- if you so desire.

3) Disc 2 is a Dual Layer Data Disc it has been found that more than a few DVD drives, both new and old, have problems reading Dual Layer discs. In order to fix this you have two options. The first is to perform a firmware upgrade on your drive -- as detailed below. The second is to buy a new DVD drive . There may be a few other options out there, but those are the two most common.

The following is a List of drives with known issues regarding Disc #2:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> Asus DRW-0402P/D Region 2 <firmware upgrade fixes, has Virtual Drive detected error after installation>
    <LI> Compaq DVD-ROM SD-616T
    <LI> DG Electronics GDR8162B
    <LI> Dynex DVD-ROM (new)
    <LI> Liteon LTD163
    <LI> NEC DVD (Dell 8200 Factory Install)
    <LI> NEC DV-5700A (DVD Reader Only) (Dell Dimension XPS B1000 11/2000 purchase date)
    <LI> NEC DV-5800A
    <LI> Philips DVD+RW-D01 v1.41 (Purchased Aug 2002, Dell 8200)
    <LI> Pioneer DVD-115R
    <LI> Pioneer DVD-116A <confirmed fixed by firmware upgrade>
    <LI> Plextor PX-708A
    <LI> Samsung CDRW/DVD SM308B Combo Drive
    <LI> Sony DVD+RW 8x Dual Layer
    <LI> Toshiba SD-M1612[/list]

If you have one of those drives and a firmware upgrade fixes the issue, please post A) a link to the firmware upgrade, B) the version of the firmware that fixes it, and C) That it fixed it :P.

If you have one of the drives mentioned above and you can't find a firmware upgrade A) Let us know, B) Let us know what firmware version you currently have (if known), C) Contact the manufacturer for that drive and let them know what your problem is, and D) see solution #2 above .

If you have a drive that is not mentioned above and you are experiencing this problem please do the following: A) Describe your problem, B) Let us know what Make/Model your computer is, C) Let us know what Make/Model/Firmware version(if known) your DVD drive is, and D) If the issue is fixed or not fixed by a firmware upgrade let us know that too, along with the relevant issue from the above.

Finally, if your drive is already listed in the above and a firmware upgrade is known to fix it, please try that before anything else. If you continue to have new problems start a new thread.

If your drive is listed above and there is no known firmware upgrade, check to see if the manufacturer of the drive or your PCs manufacturer has a firmware upgrade available. If they do, try it, if it works let us know. If it doesn't, let us know so we can run a tally of who is having problems.

..... Volunteer Public Service Message Located Yonder .....

Now for my sanity, Please remember that the people here that help you are volunteers. They do not work for UbiSoft, they are unpaid, they do this because they wish to help you. If you want to scream, cuss, shout, and complain angrily please take a deep breath and explain your problems in a kind civil manner. Or contact Ubi as detailed HERE. But please try and be nice to them also, they are people to. And if you really can't contain yourself long enough to send a message directly to Ubi, thus insisting on attacking them, me, or any of the volunteers, or heck anyone -- then place it over here in THIS THREAD. Where it will more than likely be editted to make it acceptable for reading by the general public. If it's unrecoverable, it will be deleted. We understand your frustration, some of us have experienced it ourselves, but we are volunteers. Did I mention that complaining directly to Ubi is more effective than complaining here? Not to discourage complaints, you're more than welcome to make them and if a moderator finds it well reasoned and reasonably well written they will be sure to pass it on to one of their supervisors (who are Ubi employees). You are more than welcome to gripe

Now that we're through that, feel free to enjoy this thread.

Maztec

PS: I assume you noticed that the last paragraph or so there is a repeat from my other messages on this same topic. That's not an excuse not to read it, rather it means read it and if you forgot what it says, read it again :P.

Is your DVD drive having problems with DVD Disc #2? Then you have came to the right place.

This is one of the most common problems with Myst IV Revelation. There are several potential causes:

1) Make sure you haven't placed any new fingerprints (or dirt) on DVD #2, if so wash gently with warm non-abrasive soapy water and dry with a soft lint-free cloth. Be careful, you wouldn't want to scratch your shiny disk!

2) You may have software running that is causing some form of installation conflict? Make sure you disable any programs that are running in the background. Also turn off any adware, spyware, or viruses you may have. Feel free to turn them back on after installation -- if you so desire.

3) Disc 2 is a Dual Layer Data Disc it has been found that more than a few DVD drives, both new and old, have problems reading Dual Layer discs. In order to fix this you have two options. The first is to perform a firmware upgrade on your drive -- as detailed below. The second is to buy a new DVD drive . There may be a few other options out there, but those are the two most common.

The following is a List of drives with known issues regarding Disc #2:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> Asus DRW-0402P/D Region 2 &lt;firmware upgrade fixes, has Virtual Drive detected error after installation&gt;
    <LI> Compaq DVD-ROM SD-616T
    <LI> DG Electronics GDR8162B
    <LI> Dynex DVD-ROM (new)
    <LI> Liteon LTD163
    <LI> NEC DVD (Dell 8200 Factory Install)
    <LI> NEC DV-5700A (DVD Reader Only) (Dell Dimension XPS B1000 11/2000 purchase date)
    <LI> NEC DV-5800A
    <LI> Philips DVD+RW-D01 v1.41 (Purchased Aug 2002, Dell 8200)
    <LI> Pioneer DVD-115R
    <LI> Pioneer DVD-116A &lt;confirmed fixed by firmware upgrade&gt;
    <LI> Plextor PX-708A
    <LI> Samsung CDRW/DVD SM308B Combo Drive
    <LI> Sony DVD+RW 8x Dual Layer
    <LI> Toshiba SD-M1612[/list]

If you have one of those drives and a firmware upgrade fixes the issue, please post A) a link to the firmware upgrade, B) the version of the firmware that fixes it, and C) That it fixed it :P.

If you have one of the drives mentioned above and you can't find a firmware upgrade A) Let us know, B) Let us know what firmware version you currently have (if known), C) Contact the manufacturer for that drive and let them know what your problem is, and D) see solution #2 above .

If you have a drive that is not mentioned above and you are experiencing this problem please do the following: A) Describe your problem, B) Let us know what Make/Model your computer is, C) Let us know what Make/Model/Firmware version(if known) your DVD drive is, and D) If the issue is fixed or not fixed by a firmware upgrade let us know that too, along with the relevant issue from the above.

Finally, if your drive is already listed in the above and a firmware upgrade is known to fix it, please try that before anything else. If you continue to have new problems start a new thread.

If your drive is listed above and there is no known firmware upgrade, check to see if the manufacturer of the drive or your PCs manufacturer has a firmware upgrade available. If they do, try it, if it works let us know. If it doesn't, let us know so we can run a tally of who is having problems.

..... Volunteer Public Service Message Located Yonder .....

Now for my sanity, Please remember that the people here that help you are volunteers. They do not work for UbiSoft, they are unpaid, they do this because they wish to help you. If you want to scream, cuss, shout, and complain angrily please take a deep breath and explain your problems in a kind civil manner. Or contact Ubi as detailed HERE. But please try and be nice to them also, they are people to. And if you really can't contain yourself long enough to send a message directly to Ubi, thus insisting on attacking them, me, or any of the volunteers, or heck anyone -- then place it over here in THIS THREAD. Where it will more than likely be editted to make it acceptable for reading by the general public. If it's unrecoverable, it will be deleted. We understand your frustration, some of us have experienced it ourselves, but we are volunteers. Did I mention that complaining directly to Ubi is more effective than complaining here? Not to discourage complaints, you're more than welcome to make them and if a moderator finds it well reasoned and reasonably well written they will be sure to pass it on to one of their supervisors (who are Ubi employees). You are more than welcome to gripe

Now that we're through that, feel free to enjoy this thread.

Maztec

PS: I assume you noticed that the last paragraph or so there is a repeat from my other messages on this same topic. That's not an excuse not to read it, rather it means read it and if you forgot what it says, read it again :P.

I've got another drive that can't be read - It's a GDR8161B, made by LG and OEM by HP. It's up to the latest firmware level from HP and it reads each disk once and then won't read it again.

What do you mean by it will read the drive once, but not again?

You imply that it can completely read the disc, but after doing that ceases to be able to do so?

And LG drives are known to have quite a few issues. It's a miracle they even work.

I've googled quite a few of these and have found a ton of sites that reference all types of problems with the LG drives...

Not to use that as any sort of excuse, they just seem to have issues.

Sounds like your computer is from HP? I'd call HP and complain. See if that gets you anywhere.

The only real fix is either getting a new DVD drive... or finding a newer firmware that "might" fix the issue for you.

So you have the 0046 firmware for that drive?

Maz

It really will read once, then never again. I bought the software, took it home, installed it. Disc 2 wouldn't read at first, but I took it out, put it back in, and it worked. Installation went ok (full install). I then shut it down and walked away for a couple of days. Came back. Disc 2 does not read. I thought it was a faulty disk, so I took it back to the store and got a new copy. Put disc 2 in there, played the game for an hour or so (great graphics - I was very impressed). Came back the next day and I had the same problem - I put the DVD in and the drive/OS does not recognize that there is a disc in there. Put the disc in my mac - all ok. Back in the PC - nothing.

The firmware is up to the latest version, 0406. I think it's as much or more Ubi's fault as HP's , and while I could complain to HP, they'd ignore me. Ubi will also ignore me, I'm guessing.

Correction, the firmware version is 0046 (from HP).

Actually Ubi is taking these DVD related issues very seriously. But there isn't a lot they can do about it. Go ahead and send a note to them.

The issue is actually with the drives. I've seen a few people who have called Dell and talked with them about it, shown them the problem, get a new drive from Dell as recompense -- and it fixed the issue.

There's not much Ubi can do about what amounts to an error in the way the drive itself is reading the disk.

Now, in your particular case, your problem is a lot stranger. I'd even go so far as to figure it's something weird windows is doing. I recommend you send UbiSoft tech support a note, detailing your issue, and if they don't respond by Friday, let me know via a private message.

Also, if you haven't, grab ye-old safedisc fix mentioned elsewhere in one of these here stickies, yarrr!

Hmm. Oh, hani5, do you have it still installed? Is your issue simply with starting running the game? Check your private topics, let me know if that helps...

Maz

I also experienced the most amazing (and unsettling) installation procedure on my Dell Dimension 8200 with a Samsung DVD SD-616 + WIndows XP :

- First - installation crashed due to "double use" of a file - the installation was aborted & fully reverted. I figured this could be due to corruption with Uru (previously installed) or my virusscan so uninstalled Uru + disabled virus scan & restarted Install

- Then - First DVD installed well & was asked to insert 2nd DVD - which was accepted at first. Then - after 5 mins or so - got the famous message "Wrong volume in the drive - please insert volume Myst4_1 into Drive D:" - I tried to re-insert the first DVD but computer fully crashed (Had to do cold reboot !). Probably worst nightmare as no trace of my installation in the registries.

- Lastly, restarted the installation procedure - luckily it appeared to recover from the first installation and after 1 min already asked me to insert "Disk 3" (sic!) which I interpreted as DVD 2 ... which brought me to the end of the installation hassle.

Surely, after the technical mishaps & frustrations of UruLive, Ubi and Cyan worlds should be more careful in testing the compliance of their software with as much hardware as possible - on my (brand new) DVD package there is not even a disclaimer on DVD drive compliance so I am afraid there is no excuse to this from their side.

FOrtunately, the first minutes of gameplay made up for a lot of frustrations, but I hate to play a game thinking it may crash any minute...

L_W

----

PS Btw Maz - thanks for this site which provides me with confidence that any crash I will encounter - will hopefully be addressed here ! :-)

Hi:

I too am having problems after install. I've tried both full and min. install and both are the same.

I bought a dvd player just to play this game. It's a RetailPlus. I'm brand new to dvd, so firmware and all has lost me totally.

But I install disk 1 then disk 2. No problems. Then insert disk 2 and the option window comes up and click on play. Then the next window/book with the hand pointer on it. And that's it. My mouse can't click anywhere, and the hand doesn't move. So sit and wait then it wants me to insert the proper cd in the drive. But the drive won't read the disk (neither 1 or 2).
    And when I double click on my computer the DVD drive is non existant. And have to reboot in order to get the DVD back.
    I've tried a different dvd in the drive, and it works just fine. So it's the game.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks

dynacia

dynacia, see the post there: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=t...6&m=5971078732

Link_Wizard: You still having problems or did we get you figured out? If you finally got it installed, I suspect you probably won't just crash any minute :P. The crashes seem to be fairly reliable.

Maz

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... Last ►►