Is it just me or are the tracers for mg ammunition look like something from a arcade game?

With all the other exceptional attention to detail, it seems like this is the "red"-headed stepchild.

Is it just me or are the tracers for mg ammunition look like something from a arcade game?

With all the other exceptional attention to detail, it seems like this is the "red"-headed stepchild.

LEXX_Luthor's Avatar Senior Member
    Be Happy you can see any tracers now without the 45 megaton Muzzle Flash fireball.

Chuck_Older's Avatar Banned
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BadKarma72:

With all the other exceptional attention to detail, it seems like this is the "red"-headed stepchild. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you just "feel" it's unrealistic? Or can you post a photo of what they really look liked in WWII?

Tracers from modern day automatic weapons can look like a laser beam from Star Wars. Heck, there were weapons used in Southeast Asia by the US in the '60s that used tracers, and it looked like a glowing neon tube

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
    Be Happy you can see any tracers now without the 45 megaton Muzzle Flash fireball. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha we should be happy we can see anything. *cough 262 cough*

georgeo76's Avatar Senior Member
    Even that might not do Chuck. It's been pointed out before that guncam footage doesn't look like it would from the cockpit because of camera shake and because of exposure time the tracers elongate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
    Do you just "feel" it's unrealistic? Or can you post a photo of what they really look liked in WWII? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, guncam footage seems to make the tracers look "wavy" in flight. The camera footage I've seen on the net is too fuzzy most of the time too.

From the better footage I've seen from various US aircraft on the History/Wings channel, there tends to be a small smoke trail associated with the mg tracer rounds (kinda like the cannon ones in the game, although not as lengthy).

Although after reading some more, I found that alot of the times tracers weren't even used....yikes. Guess we are lucky

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
    Be Happy you can see any tracers now without the 45 megaton Muzzle Flash fireball. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said. LMAO

I'd bet the smoke trail type tracers we see are a pretty accurate rendering. Also, the Dixon- De Wilde .303 effect from Hurris look pretty authentic from all accounts (the "sparkle" of rounds hitting the plane). Perhaps the ones that're really overdone are the red tracers for the .50s and the green 20mm of the Russian cannons. But then again there's accounts of pilots seeing "orange fireballs" flying past their cockpits that let them know they were under fire.

And yeah, you're right about having them at all. I know that in the 56th fighter group they dispensed with tracer rounds except to signal when the last 25 rounds (I think) were in each of the guns. Interestingly, when they got rid of the tracers their gunnery improved, since the less than reliable track the tracers made had mis-informed their aim.

With regards to the last few rounds having tracers, some even quit doing that because the enemy learned that it meant you were about to be out and that was more info than they should know