If I'm in a plane travelling at km h and fire a (supersonic) bullet, is that bullet going to travel any faster than if it was fired from a stationary gun? If it does, how would that effect the hitting power of the round?

Equations to a minimum, if you please.

I was going to ask that same question yesterday,
    I think the bullet will travel faster as you go faster.

If the bullets traveling too fast then it will go strait through the target and do less damage then a slower bullet. I'm 95% positive this is true.

JtD's Avatar Senior Member
    Speed increases and hitting power goes up.

Speed is cumulative: A gun firing a bullet at at (let's say) 300 mph while travelling forward at 200, will give a muzzle velocity of 500 mph. This is why space ships will leavthe atmosphaere at an angle, to add the rotational speed of the Earth herself to its speed. During WWII, it was well known that guns "hit harder" in a head on, when the targets speed is added to the effective bullet speed.

This will hold true under most conditions. When you start approaching the speed of light the rules changes though.

Thanks guys. Thought it would, but wanted to check. IL2 seemed to show it as I could sometimes just nail a bandit at certain angles.

DKoor's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by FlatSpinMan:
    If I'm in a plane travelling at km h and fire a (supersonic) bullet, is that bullet going to travel any faster than if it was fired from a stationary gun? If it does, how would that effect the hitting power of the round?

Equations to a minimum, if you please.
    I think this is exactly the same thing as when you take off from a carrier that is sailing.
    It is easier to take off and land if the carrier is moving; our aircraft adds carrier speed to its own.

Or... when you run thru the moving train (going in the train's direction)... train is traveling 100kph, your max speed is 30kph... therefore, your exit speed (the moment when you jump in front of train ) should be 130kph; however that will last few moments and you will be squashed after you decelerate to speed below train's speed (he'll catch up with you).

Without the need to do further field tests, the effect comes quick and in quite radical manner .

DrHerb's Avatar Senior Member
    I read somewhere a jet fired its 20mm cannons while subsonic but managed to go supersonic and ran into its fired shells, not sure if it was true.

Well I think the bullet reaches its Terminal Velocity. Thats why it dosnt go any faster.

Well the bullet slows down due to drag as it only has initial thrust and not sustained thrust. The Jet had sustained thrust so eventually over ran the 20mm round.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►