I was amazed by some of the luck these people had, hope you are too! If ever their was such a thing as a guardian angel, they were flying with these people.

http://www.greenharbor.com/fffolder/ffallers.html

I was amazed by some of the luck these people had, hope you are too! If ever their was such a thing as a guardian angel, they were flying with these people.

http://www.greenharbor.com/fffolder/ffallers.html

B16Enk's Avatar Senior Member
    Nicholas Alkemade (the Lanc rear gunner) had a hard time convincing the Gestapo that he wasn't a spy and had indeed survived the 5,500M fall.

Wow! Great stories!

Falling from those heights would give plenty of time to review one's life on the way down. I imagine that once someone survives that sort of incident, everything else that happens in their life will be appreciated. I think that if I was in that situation, my thought would be "oh, wonderful. I just soiled myself."

Wow! What timing! Just a few days ago I was remebering an account I read as a boy in a paperback called "Strange But True" about a British airman who bailed out of his plane without a chute at high alt. and lived. Lo and behold, there it is! Thanks!

Puma, I love the Robert JOhnson skin in you sig. Would you be so kind as to tell me whre i might find it? I have been wanting one since i read Thunderbolt! last month.

Thanks
    Turtle

ploughman's Avatar Senior Member
    There was a programme on here in the UK called Bomber Pilot in which grandchildren of Bomber Command crew members formed a bomber crew and trained on B-17s and a Lanc. The pilot actually got to fly the Canadian Lancaster as well as the Sally B! But...one of the young people on the show was the grandchild of that Lanc rear gunner!

i remember reading a story a while back in one of my magazines about a british lancaster tail gunner flying a night mission. he was forced to bail out when hit by enemy fire. as he exited the aircraft, his parachute came off. he fell several thousand feet before he happened to smack into one of his fellow crewmembers who was floating down in a parachute! he held on for dear life until they finally made it down safely. amazing stuff!

ploughman's Avatar Senior Member
    NO WAY! What are the chances of that?