sailorman.jim's Avatar Member
    This is probably not new to many, but for those that have not seen it:

There is a program that allows you to capture any video, sound, or image that appears on the screen. It is also a rudimentary video editor but primarily a capture program. In addition, it also does unlimited screen shots with a single key stroke. All without reducing frame rate to any detectable degree. So I have it start with Windows and run all the time in the background, just for the screen capture feature. I have used several other capture programs such as FRAPS, Hyper Cam, Cam Studio, and Game Cam, to name a few, and none matches the totality of Gun Cam in terms of quality, ease of use, features, and user-controllability.

It's called Gun Cam by Growler Software (http://www.growlersoftware.com) It was $19.95 USD as I recall and some of the best money I have ever spent on software. Even better, they have real technical support. Apparently this is by the actual software person that wrote the program Initially, I had a problem finding the right combination of settings for best quality on my system. A few emails had it all working the way it should.

The video capture program allows you to capture all of the screen or a portion that you can define with the mouse. This is very handy for capturing videos that do not take up the entire screen or "pre-cropping" a video to eliminate things you don't want, like menu bars. You can export video and sound, or sound only.

You can also specify where you want saved files to be stored. The default is folders in the Gun Cam program folder, I found that to be a little unhandy so have special folders for them, well OK, one called Game Video.

I'll list some features. Everyone will have to decide for themselves what's most important to their use. A lot of people are perfectly happy with the free version of FRAPS even though I found it to be almost unusable. It all depends on your system and your needs, I think.

Gun Cam does a much better job with the audio for openers.

It also does not cause any drop in frame rate that I have been able to detect. I have run the same Sim, Micro Flight 5. or IL2-1946 with and without Gun Cam running and obtained the same frame rates. With a really powerful gaming computer, this might not be an issue.

Next, the ability to select any portion of the screen to record is pretty handy. For example, you can select the window displaying a video in say, youtube and record the video no problem. This is very handy when you have a video on something like youtube but have lost your original. You can recapture it even if downloading is disabled. You can also select the output size when recording. There is a menu to allow you to select popular sizes including wide-screen proportions or you can enter your own manually.

Capture size can also be set to be 1X, 1.5X, 2X, or 3X video size, if you prefer that to the above.

Your cursor is automatically not recorded so it will not appear even if you forget and leave it in the recorded area.

Capture method can be GDI or Direct-X, as you prefer.

You can also choose export quality by setting compression level for the raw input from 0 -100 %

You can select a trigger key to start/stop recording. Likewise you can select a key for screen shots. Naturally, being somewhat lazy, I kept it simple and use Print Screen for that. Each time I press Print Screen, it saves the screen image as a .jpg file. There is no limit to the number of screen shots saved and they can be saved almost as fast as you can press the key.

You have choices in types of video output. For example, uncompressed .avi, DivX, Xvid, and a variety of user 4 CC codes.

Enhancements for Open GL, Direct 3D, or Direct Draw can be turned on and off.

Resource allocation can be controlled by setting the number of frames held in memory.

Sound recording is adjustable via a built-in tool and test.

There is also a rudimentary video editor built in, although I don't know much about it because I have Sony Vegas so never use it.

You can also trim the raw input before converting to .avi and link the raw input files together before converting, too. If you sometimes capture too much at the beginning, end or even middle of a shot, you can cut sections out before conversion. Naturally, I would never make such an error, but I do know a guy who does.

I am sure there are a few other features I haven't thought of or used, but those are the things I most often need.

Hopes this helps.

I still reckon Fraps is better.

sailorman.jim's Avatar Member
    You are always entitled to your opinion.

Although how you can think CRAPS is better in view of the differences in features, utility, and function shall remain one of the mysteries of the universe.

No mystery, I go by "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

i.e., I'm too lazy to go check it out

Very informative! Can Gun Cam record in no time limit? That's important for me cause I always need to record games that last for hours. Besides Gun Cam, I also recommend Joyoshare screen recorder. I can record high-quality videos with audio from system and/or microphone as I like. It supports 60 FPS. Share it here as an alternative.

I also use the free version and I am satisfied