Can anyone give me a little background on this plane? Is the the kind of bomber that has a position just for dropping bombs with a bomb site and all the complexity that goes with it? Or is this the kind of bomber that the pilot just eyeballs it?

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    Its an eyeballer

Think of the A-20 as a ground attack plane in the vein of a IL-2 or a P-47 except with two engines and much bigger. Maybe thats not such a great example but it holds true to operational use. You strafe the target with the nose guns and drop bombs through whatever means is most practical for you.

My prefered method is to approach at 1000 meters, do a slow dive to target, at close range to target, release the bombs, fly over the target at some 50-100 meters and fly away. Key to this is a bomb delay of at least 2 seconds (I prefer 3). Its deadly accurate.

There was earlier versions of the A-20 with a bombsight and glass nose meant for level bombing. There were also later versions nearly identical to the one we have except that it also had a bombsight and a glass nose. The idea was that certain planes in a formation would sight the target and all A-20s (even the ones with nose guns) would drop on command. We have none of those...

I was hoping it was an eyeballer. Is there a campaign for it?