Many of us know that the first year of Operation Barbossa cost the Bolsheviks countless of aircraft; both in the air and on the ground. As the stinking war dragged on, the Russkis steadely developed increasingly better and more numerous air units.
    As a result, after 4 years of misserable slauther on the Eastern front, how many aircraft did the Russkis loose in comparison to that of the Third Reich?

Does anyone have any solid leads??

...there goes another one

Many of us know that the first year of Operation Barbossa cost the Bolsheviks countless of aircraft; both in the air and on the ground. As the stinking war dragged on, the Russkis steadely developed increasingly better and more numerous air units.
    As a result, after 4 years of misserable slauther on the Eastern front, how many aircraft did the Russkis loose in comparison to that of the Third Reich?

Does anyone have any solid leads??

...there goes another one

Luftwaffe:
    According to the Generalquartiermeister der Luftwaffe, they lost 70000 aircraft until 31.12.44, half of them due to enemy fire.

There are theories, which report from another 20000 aircraft lost until war's end, half of them due to enemy fire.

This includeds all theatres of war!

You may read:
    O. Gr√¬∂hler, "St√¬§rke, Verteilung und Verluste der deutschen Luftwaffe im zweiten Weltkrieg", in: Milit√¬§rgeschichte 17, 1978
    (Strenght, Allocation and Losses of the Lw in WWII)

also intressting: http://www.butler98.freeserve.co.uk/thtrlosses.htm

VVS
    According to official sources they lost about 90000 airplanes, half of them due to enemy fire.

http://pkka.narod.ru/airlosses.htm

Michailov and Bergstr√¬∂m (Authors of the BC/RS-Series) think that the losses were higher, about 100000 airplanes.

p1ngu666's Avatar Senior Member
    i heard 65,000 ish lw planes went missing in russia.

started readin guy gibson book, and there was "pilots and aircrew lost while i was active in my squadrons.

listed only pilots i think
    was several pages, VERY sobering. 5 pages, prolly could squeeze it too 4

If I remember correctly, according to Zetterling's "Kursk: 1943", the Germans had at least 650 fighters at the battle itself.
    Perhaps by the end it may have droped to 200 operational fighters?

The Russians started with 1300 fighters at first and incresed this number with the addition of 2 extra units during July. Therefore, fighter numbers may have peaked at 2000 for a short time.

We can therefore say this gave the Russians perhaps a 2.5 - 3 to one superiority in numbers of fighter at Kursk. Yet, out of the aircraft at Kursk the Soviets lost at least three times more than the Germans.

Interesting note, an identical number of sorties were flown by each side.

Ofcourse, this is only one battler, and gives but a snapshot of the airwar over the ostfront.

WTE_Galway's Avatar Senior Member
    had a book at one stage that listed every kriegsmarine sailor lost in a U-boat and details of the sub lost if available (most just never returned) .. all 55,000 of them .. a lot of names

The statistic I found mind-boggling was the number of German troops who had limbs amputated because of mines and grenades and frostbite on the Eastern Front .. something like 3/4 of a million amputees (and thats just on the German side)