Yes If CNN had coverage on WWII would people stop and re-think the big picture. Like today€s current war events with CNN and all those other agencies giving non-stop war coverage, would people stop and rethink their methods back then? Or would the air war continue to rampage over Berlin and Germany factories.

Yes If CNN had coverage on WWII would people stop and re-think the big picture. Like today€s current war events with CNN and all those other agencies giving non-stop war coverage, would people stop and rethink their methods back then? Or would the air war continue to rampage over Berlin and Germany factories.

Probably not. If you read your history book you will see NAzi Germany trying to take over teh WORLD. You will notice Terrorists are not taking over the world, however they disagree with our policy overseas which can be seen as taking over the world, but not really. Same goes with Cubas exercises this week, it goes to show some people actually think the USA is trying to take over the world.

There is already coverage out there showing terrorists getting the beat down, you just have to find it. The media like CNN 'filters' what you get to see. However with 9/11 that footage was not able to be filtered, so you saw the whole shibang.

You are just a pawn, we are all just a pawn.

CNN in particular has a huge pro-USA bias.

They would either not report those atrocities, or would just spin them to make them seem ok.

Its also quite possible your average western viewer might enjoy watching Berlin or Japan burn, having been conditioned by propeganda to demonize these nations, and the people in them.

For example, CNN has reported on many things in Iraq, like prisoner abuse, executions, huge civilian bodycount, but it doesn't seem to have done anything to sway public opinion.

berg417448's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by frag_bravo:
    Yes If CNN had coverage on WWII would people stop and re-think the big picture. Like today€s current war events with CNN and all those other agencies giving non-stop war coverage, would people stop and rethink their methods back then? Or would the air war continue to rampage over Berlin and Germany factories. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Live coverage of German V-1 and V-2 strikes against England would have made great video that the media would be unable to resist broadcasting. It could have cancelled out the effect of bombing videos from Germany.

berg417448's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fennec_P:
    CNN in particular has a huge pro-USA bias.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Russian news agencies have a pro-Russian bias...
    The French news agencies have a pro French bias...

and so on. Nothing so special there.

Geeee, from my experience CNN DOESN'T have an American Bias. If they did they WOULDN'T have broadcast the embarrassing way the prisoners of Abu Graab were handled.

I don't know how big the civilian body count is....but I also don't know how many bodies Saddam has buried in his mass grave sites.

And FENNEC SAID:
    Its also quite possible your average western viewer might enjoy watching Berlin or Japan burn, having been conditioned by propeganda to demonize these nations, and the people in them.

That's the most insulting assinine thing I've EVER read on this forum.

Surely the expance of ocean between nations is a reason for cultural differences. But, honest, I swear we hate to see pain, suffering, and death just as much as you.

regards,
    Robert

Fox news is pro-US...CNN is not. CNN does air differnt programming here in the US then in Europe or the middle east(only other two places i've had time to watch it)

horseback's Avatar Senior Member
    I suspect that after seeing Warsaw and Amsterdam bombed, seeing coverage of the dazed civilian survivors of torpedoed passenger liners, or lines of refugees strafed while they were fleeing down French roads in order to create as large a traffic jam as possible for Allied reinforcements, America might well have entered the war a little sooner and been willing to pay a much higher price...

Note that I haven't even begun to describe the Japanese atrocities in the Pacific against PoWs and civilians in China, Burma, and the Phillippines. In a lot of cases, the propaganda was not able to keep up with the Axis' real-life day-to-day monstrosities.

Some people tend to forget that what is now condemned as Allied excess was seen then as simply following through in a life and death struggle. We had few reliable clues about the effectiveness of our strategic bombing campaigns or the true state of the German or Japanese war machines, and in a total war, you always prepare, plan and act for the worst case scenario as long as the other guy is still opposing you. The Allies had no intention of repeating the mistake of 1918, when they didn't beat the German army where the German people could see it, and failed to occupy the German homeland until the rot was cut out of their culture.

The terms were unconditional surrender. The Axis countries were going to get pounded until they gave up on those terms. No excuses and no apologies.

cheers

horseback

georgeo76's Avatar Senior Member
    you assume ppl are sensitive to violence and would be dismayed. They are not and they would not be. You assume that 24/7 video news would result in a more informed society, but all you have to do is look around you to determine that's not the case.

CNN shows more American suffering because that's what the viewers want. Aljazeera dose the same. If there is any one censoring the coverage, it's the viewers, not the government. The public influences the media, not the other way around. Now when I say media I mean the 'entertainment' media which includes anything on TV. There is still intelligent and in-depth reporting around... but it's all still in print.

I hate the 24/7 news channels. If you watch them for 30min, or 5hours you'll get the same news. I wish they would take the extra time to cover stories more in-depth, but viewers prefer redundancy to content.

I can learn more reading the BBC, New York Times, or the Washington Post in 15 min than I can watching CNN all week. The only decent news show on all of television is "The Daily Show".

Page 1 of 10 123 ... Last ►►