Hi everyone,

I run water 4 in IL2 1946 and I was wondering what the big difference is with water 3. Seems my FPS doesn't take any hit on my 8800GTX, but I was wondering what the visual effects are. They both look pretty much the same to me......any ideas?

Hi everyone,

I run water 4 in IL2 1946 and I was wondering what the big difference is with water 3. Seems my FPS doesn't take any hit on my 8800GTX, but I was wondering what the visual effects are. They both look pretty much the same to me......any ideas?

Check this Link: http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/config_guide.htm

Water=1 Water = 0

Fastest water, without ground reflection
    Water = 1

Normal water: ground and clouds reflections, cloud shadows
    Water = 2

Perfect water: same as Water = 1, plus wavy ground reflections and weather-dependant wave types
    Water = 3

Perfect water: same as Water = 1, plus wavy ground reflections and weather-dependant wave types. Nvidia SM3.0 only. Use water=2 for ATI cards<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Hunter 82's PC component shop
    http://www.magnum-pc.com/
    https://usm.channelonline.com/magnum...arch/External/

-HH-Quazi's Avatar Senior Member
    I noticed a difference in the way the water looks set to 3 or 4 between 4.05m & 4.07. In 4.05m there was a visual difference between the two and also a fr difference. In 4.07 water set to 3 or 4 look no different and my fr's hardly take a hit btween using the two. I actually think the water looks better in 4.07. In 4.05m on water=3 it looked like the wind was running perpendicular to each other every 100 square yards or so. In 4.07 it seems the wind is running in the same direction according t the wave action. Makes it allot more believable to me.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

<center>

Hunters' Magnum-PC House
    So You're Interested In Water Cooling?
    Welcome To The Dogz Hound Pound!
    Mission 4Today

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by four-O-one:
    Hi everyone,

I run water 4 in IL2 1946 and I was wondering what the big difference is with water 3. Seems my FPS doesn't take any hit on my 8800GTX, but I was wondering what the visual effects are. They both look pretty much the same to me......any ideas? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don`t think Water 4 is meant to run on ATI at all. It`s not well explained in the latest readme, but I`m sure only Nvidia 6800 and later can represent the Water4 level.

Latest Readme:

"To select water rendering mode please modify the Water section in the file conf.ini in the [Render_OpenGL] section (Water = 1 by default).

Water = 0 ? Water with flat geometry (fastest).
    Water = 1 ? Water with flat geometry (fast).

High quality water rendering modes with correct wave geometry
    Water = 2 ? This mode is visually similar to water = 3 but it runs on ATI cards 9800, X800, X1800 and later models.
    Water = 3 ? Fast render mode with Vertex Shaders 3.0 (NVIDIA 6600 and later models)
    Water = 4 ? Better quality mode with Vertex Shaders 3.0 (NVIDIA 6800 and later models) "

Water 2 might be designed for ATI and 3 and 4 for Nvidia, but for some reason my geforce 7600GS runs the game best on 2. It looks good, but with the settings 3 and 4, the fps drop is clear. Haven't tested with my new processor yet though, but isn't this more of a gfx card thing?<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Jasko76's Avatar Senior Member
    I also have to run water 2 on my 7800GS as I get severe stutters on water 4, but that is probably down on me having only 512 Mb of RAM <div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Freude am fahren!

I run Water 4 too on my system with out any problems and also dont notice any difrence between Water 3 and 4.
    (Geforce 6800Xtreme)

From the 4.03m readme:

"Water=4 from readme 4.03m

Graphics:

Reworked water render

To see the updated water render please modify the Water section in the file conf.ini in the [Render_OpenGL] section.

Water = 0 or 1 ? No changes in version 4.03.
    Water = 2 ? This mode is visually similar to water = 3 but it runs on ATI cards 9800, X800, X1800 and later models.
    Water = 3 ? Fast render mode with Vertex Shaders 3.0 (NVIDIA 6600 and later models)
    Water = 4 ? Better quality mode with Vertex Shaders 3.0 (NVIDIA 6800 and later models)
    Reminder:
    ATI supports modes: 0, 1, 2
    NVIDIA 6600 and later models support: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4
    NVIDIA cards before the series 6xxx support 0, 1, 2 (2 is not recommended)".<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Just started up Water4 (been using 2) in 4.071m and I gotta say i`m impressed. I haven`t tried measuring the FPS but I can see no difference to Water 2. There must be some slowdown and I may test later to see exactly how much fps I`m losing. But for the realistic water and reflections i reckon I`ll leave it on 4 for now as long as performance stays like this.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

"If it burns, it is confirmed."

Ivan Lukich Zvyagin