robban75's Avatar Senior Member
    In 1945 it was obvious that a true high performace fighter was needed. An upgraded version of the J21 with a 2000 hp DB 605E or RR Merlin Mk 68/69 was suggested, as well as an all new type(the J27). Although the chances for these planes to become reality was small.
    In April 1945 Saab started work on a fighter with a 2200 hp RR Griffon, but it was assumed that a much more powerful 24-cylinder "H" engine of Swedish design was to be used later on.
    Most of all, it looked like a Spitfire 22 or a Spiteful. The oil cooler was placed under the aft fuselage. The wings looked more like those of the Fairey Firefly. Max speed would have been around 700 km/h, which of course made it outdated in the jet age.

Drawings of the J27 are hard to come by, and the pic below is pretty much how it would have looked like according to the drawings that I have seen. Sure it's not 100% correct, but I think it gives a good idea of its overall design.

Hope you like it!

In 1945 it was obvious that a true high performace fighter was needed. An upgraded version of the J21 with a 2000 hp DB 605E or RR Merlin Mk 68/69 was suggested, as well as an all new type(the J27). Although the chances for these planes to become reality was small.
    In April 1945 Saab started work on a fighter with a 2200 hp RR Griffon, but it was assumed that a much more powerful 24-cylinder "H" engine of Swedish design was to be used later on.
    Most of all, it looked like a Spitfire 22 or a Spiteful. The oil cooler was placed under the aft fuselage. The wings looked more like those of the Fairey Firefly. Max speed would have been around 700 km/h, which of course made it outdated in the jet age.

Drawings of the J27 are hard to come by, and the pic below is pretty much how it would have looked like according to the drawings that I have seen. Sure it's not 100% correct, but I think it gives a good idea of its overall design.

Hope you like it!

Looks like a marrige between a spitfire and a mustang.I like it.

Nose "boobs" of the Mk.XIV, twin prop. of later Spits, of course the P51 body and tail...

Looks freaky

MEGILE's Avatar Senior Member
    Looks good

Must have been influenced by the Mustang, was the Mustang already in service in Sweden by then?

I wonder if it shared components of any fighter then in service like the canopy or under carriage?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mynameisroland:
    Must have been influenced by the Mustang, was the Mustang already in service in Sweden by then?

I wonder if it shared components of any fighter then in service like the canopy or under carriage? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could say that the Mustang entered service with the Swedish airforce in 1944. There were some Mustangs that force landed in Sweden during this time, and they were eventually used by the RSwAF. The J27 was as you can see highly influenced by its design. It is pretty much a Mustang and Spitfire in one. The J27 was never built so it's safe to say that it didn't share any components with other fighters. Had it been built, who knows?