Some of you may recall the thread that jensenpark and I started re a Halifax Bomber Restoration Project at the Canadian Forces Airbase in Trenton, Ontario. If you care to have a look at the thread, here is a link

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=t...3&m=8421081562

My wife's father flew a Halifax towards the latter part of WW2 and the visit to Trenton stimulated our interest in his war record. Helen's father passed away several years ago but her mother is very much alive and was kind enough to send me her husband's log book, medals and other mementos. My wife had them framed and we will shortly be hanging them in a small picture gallery where my brother Tony's picture hangs along with some pictures of British WW2 aircraft. After the war, my father-in-law converted to Sabre F86's and one of the certificates celebrates breaking the sound barrier. Please don't ask me to explain the medals. He was awarded the DFC but beyond that I am not sure what is what. His wife also served in forces in the Wrens I believe, so one of the pictures was dedicated to her war medals.

Some of you may recall the thread that jensenpark and I started re a Halifax Bomber Restoration Project at the Canadian Forces Airbase in Trenton, Ontario. If you care to have a look at the thread, here is a link

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=t...3&m=8421081562

My wife's father flew a Halifax towards the latter part of WW2 and the visit to Trenton stimulated our interest in his war record. Helen's father passed away several years ago but her mother is very much alive and was kind enough to send me her husband's log book, medals and other mementos. My wife had them framed and we will shortly be hanging them in a small picture gallery where my brother Tony's picture hangs along with some pictures of British WW2 aircraft. After the war, my father-in-law converted to Sabre F86's and one of the certificates celebrates breaking the sound barrier. Please don't ask me to explain the medals. He was awarded the DFC but beyond that I am not sure what is what. His wife also served in forces in the Wrens I believe, so one of the pictures was dedicated to her war medals.

p1ngu666's Avatar Senior Member
    nice

Great stuff!

jensenpark's Avatar Senior Member
    Fabulous!

Appreciate anything from the log book you can share and post for us BG!

Big thanks to Helen's Mom for sharing this as well.

Love the Mach Buster certificate...what year is that from?

Hi JP,

There is a letter dated September 27, 1956 attached to the certificate from th President of Canadair, Montreal, the builder under licence of the F86.

The log book is generally pretty mundane but here is one entry that caught my eye.

Jan 6, 1945 Halifax VI D J .... Ops (Hanau) Frankfurt. Mission flying time 6 hours 15 minutes. Log entry "Incendiary Fire in fuselage. Cookie through starboard wing"

I talked to a former Halifax pilot about this entry and he said it was likely caused by an aircraft above them dropping bombs on them. A cookie was a very large bomb and must have passed through his wing without exploding. I think he got the DFC for bringing the aircraft back.

jensenpark's Avatar Senior Member
    brings new meaning to the term "Cookie Monster".

Please post even the mundane...I think it would be interesting.

Cheers!

A cookie is a large (I MEAN LARGE) cylindrical bomb 4000lb bomb. They had a charge to weight ratio of 75-80%, being essentially explosive packed metal drums. Extensive aerodynamic streamlining was dispensed with since these bombs were carried internally. As already mentioned the 4,000 lb 'Block Buster' or 'Cookie' was a very effective weapon in this class and after its introduction rapidly became a mainstay of Bomber Command.

Here is an imformative picture and caption

A 4,000 pounder and a shower of incendiaries leave the bomb bay of a Lancaster bomber high over Duisburg during an attack by RAF Bomber Command on that city.

P.S. I think that given the size of a cookie, that it is more likely that he is refering to a smaller bomb (one of the incendiaries perhaps - or maybe that the cookie merely clipped his wing).

There is an entry in his logbook in 1957 which mentions a flameout in his F-86 Sabre on take off.
    He was able to restart by going right ahead. The total flight time was 10 minutes. One of his squad mates also had a flameout on take off and tried to return to the runway. Sadly, he crashed and was killed.

And here is a list of the aircraft flown from 1942 to 1964.

Tiger Moth
    Crane
    Anson
    Oxford
    Whitley
    Halifax 11
    Halifax 111
    Luscombe 8E
    DC3 (C47)
    Expeditor (C45)
    Lancaster X
    Harvard