I posted this as a possbile bug...I fly both offline and online and mostly allies offline and mixed online

Just wondering if anyone noticed... I mostly notice this vs Bf109's and Fw190's not because there is a slant but because that is what I mostly fight...I'm finding that the AI is much faster than they used to be...in fact, unrealistically so and I'm wondering if anyone has noticed it besides me or has a way to test to confirm or deny this.

I was outrun and outclimbed, I was in pursuit, beyond critical altitude in my P-47D22 till about 22,500 against a Fw190A5...then he broke turn and climbed as I turned inside him and he just pulled away again. Even my wingman seemed to be flying much faster than me catching up handily...eventually he began to manuever and slow down and I caught up to him and ran out of ammo trying to shoot him down.

Then I flew a P-38J and let some bad guys get behind me at about 18,000 ft...the Bf109G6's stayed with me about .5km behind so I went into a shallow dive and leveled out at 14,000 ft and they stayed right with me and never got further than .55km away...then i dove sharply to 5000 ft and they stayed with me, closed the gap and shot me down....I was looking for critical altitudes the J was faster...even though it was faster at all altitudes in real life and in patch 3.04! Didn't matter...they were too fast or I was too slow.

I fly with complex engine management and all that other stuff in the on position. I like more challenging AI but not this way...we went away from bat manuevers to the grand prix...or so it seems to me....I'm beginning to miss 3.04 more and more...I feel like the global changes made to the FM affect some aircraft more than others...maybe the AI can fly the plane perfectly straight and humans can't so they get a performance edge...I don't know...might be aircraft specific as opposed to an AI bug too.

I'd like to test it on other aircraft but you just can't get the AI to behave the way you want...or at least I haven't been able to. Might be some prop pitch settings now as well...looking for opinions and answers.

I concur, they do seem much fater than the 1.04 counterparts.

I'll see if maybe it's possible to test the AI's acceleration or something.

I think the AI tend to fly more in straight lines more now instead of turn fighting, and also when the B-25's were dog fighting (I dont know if they still do) the enemy planes they were dog fighting with seemed to deliberately not accelerate away from them. That seems to have changed with the new patch.

Well, I tried this:

20km race between human and AI 109G2. Both start at 300km/h, and the second waypoint is for 666km/h (which is higher than the plane's topspeed, btw), and saw who got to the finish first. Used icons to tell exact spacing.

Using 110% power, I beat the AI easily, by about 2 klicks. Listening to the engine (which was doing fewer revs than mine), it seems the AI was only using 100% power.

I tried the test again, and I only used 100% power. This time it was closer, but I still won. This is probably because the AI had it's radiator open a little.

Then, just to see what would happen, I shot the AI plane with some bullets. For a short period, the AI started using WEP (could hear revs increase), and started to pull away from me. After a few seconds, he returned to 100% power, and I caught up.

As far as I can tell, the AI has the same FM when it comes to speed. It appeared to accelerate at the same rate as I, and reached about the same topspeed as I. The differences were due to different throttle, and the fact that the AI uses auto radiator settings.

Because the AI flies much more coordinated than your average human, I would expect the AI to consistantly outrun you, given equal starting conditions and equal throttle.

I'll try the same thing, with an enemy AI plane, and see if he can catch me. I wonder if the enemy AI will use WEP, and for how long.

Did same test, this time with P-40Es, and with the other plane being enemy, and 1km behind me.

Using 110% power in level flight at 150m alt, I easily outstripped the P40. Over a 10km dash, I managed to pull away 500m (5% faster).

Using 100% power, the enemy P-40 gained 30m during the 10km dash (0.3% faster).

So it seems the AI, when chasing you, will use 100% power. The acceleration and topspeed of the AI plane are the same as the human, at least in level flight, and using P-40.

Yeah, I thought I noticed the same thing too. Go one-on-one with a 190 or 109 and they immediately go defensive. They fly in long arcs and run from you. Hard to get angles on them.

I don't think (and your test proved it) it's a bug issue though. The ACE AI just flys pretty well!

Brain32's Avatar Senior Member
    As an almost strict offliner I must say I noticed speedy AI, but I think they are simply better at "keeping the dog in the house" than we are(were). Perfect rudder trimming really helps(tested) I did not noticed the effect of the WEP though, I have no problems chasing or running away with P-38(I guessed that was because it seems that twin engined planes are not so affected by new torque modelling).

good to know I wasn't imagining things...the Fw incident was aggrevating, but I was not aware of the energy state prior to the fight as much as the 109...that episode was just all wrong.... I should have pulled away in the dive, but that has never been right for many aircraft but once I leveled out, the 109 refused to bleed E and just stayed with me for quite a long while...I wasn't getting shot at, but I couldn't lose him either....

That is a very aggrevating offline phenom when an ai gets on your tail and just follows you endlessly around...zekes are notorious for that and getting your squadmates to shoot them is difficult at best. Seems like this may have been changed a bit for the better but i'll have to do more observing.

Willey's Avatar Senior Member
    Well, the P-51 eats 262s for breakfast, because the latter is anything but fast. Even straight on it does never exceed some 550 or so

Brain32's Avatar Senior Member
    Well, the P-51 eats 262s for breakfast, because the latter is anything but fast. Even straight on it does never exceed some 550 or so
    Yes, I know what you mean, imagine what's the situation vs yp-80