To get a better understanding of where the PF maps are geographically, I've made this map from a satellite photo. Since I don't know much about the Pacific theatre in general, finding and placing the PF maps on the face of the earth, helps to get at least a geographical knowledge. I had no idea where Tarawa, Wake Island etc were before I started the investigation. Now I know. Here is my conclusion.

To get a better understanding of where the PF maps are geographically, I've made this map from a satellite photo. Since I don't know much about the Pacific theatre in general, finding and placing the PF maps on the face of the earth, helps to get at least a geographical knowledge. I had no idea where Tarawa, Wake Island etc were before I started the investigation. Now I know. Here is my conclusion.

Great idea Raspball! Thanks for sharing that with us. I was wondering where some of those places were myself. I'd like to see a map like this of the original IL2 series/FBs too.

-Blenvid

Dad, I left my heart up there.

€" Francis Gary Powers, CIA U-2 pilot shot down over the Soviet Union, describing his first flight at age 14.

Dunkelgrun's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raspball:

http://home.online.no/~geibli/pacific.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've got the Coral Sea 3 km too far West!

On a more serious note, thanks for the effort.
    Blenvid, there is a map for the FB series, somebody did it, but I'm afraid I don't know who or where to find it.

Anyone help?

Cheers!

chris455's Avatar Senior Member
    This was a great idea. Now it is even more clear how much of the New Guinea theater we are missing!

A.K.Davis's Avatar Senior Member
    Neat! You are going to make Tater cry, though. You upstaged his maps!

Also shows how huge the Pacific is...thanks Raspball - the map is definitely a "keeper".

Would agree that more of New Guinea is needed.

I'd also like to see some of China (for early war especially), and the Philippines in the game.

Papa_K

Tater-SW-'s Avatar Senior Member
    Due to curvature of earth, and perspective, the rectangles are not to the same apparent scale, though they look to be the right actual size. Hawaii is the largest map in game, for example at 1000x1000 kilometers. Thh NG map is actually smaller than the early Guadalcanal map (440x240, vs 500x500).

Still, a great perspective on the vast size of the Pacific Theater.

tater

Wow, thanks for doing that, it all makes sense!

Im suprised how close Midway was to hawaii, I thought it was more where Wake Island would be!

steve_v's Avatar Senior Member
    very nice, saved to my h/d.