just started flying spit. i find the engine overheats alot very often in the heat of battle. when i reduce the throttle and open the radiator i lose speed and the E/A escapes. compared to the german daimler benz engine the rolls royce (if it is the case) is poor in comparision. spit is a nice plane to fly but the engine overheats lets it down. any suggetions of how to overcome the problem.

Jumoschwanz's Avatar Banned
    I think you can overcome the problem by trying to use your head for a change, something you are definitely not doing if you think you should be able to fly around in furballs with the throttle pinned to the firewall indefinitely.

Attack with an altitude advantage, use this altitude advantage to gain speed with the throttle set at cruise, make a firing pass on the enemy and use full throttle to climb back up and out of the way of danger. Once up and away turn the throttle back to cruise and think about your next move while looking over the situation.

That is how it worked in WWII with a smart pilot flying. Any real pilot who flew around in turn fights with the throttle pinned would end up exactly like you, an overheated and dead engine and then shot to pieces.

So the sim is right on the money, the Spit does not overheat any easier than any other plane and is better than many, and as usual the problem is with a lack of pilot brains.

Try flying on a full real server where you can try using your head to employ historical tactics more easily and even at all, or go to an even more arcade server than you obviously are flying on now, that has engine overheating disabled.

S!

Jumoschwanz

Quite a harsh post there Jumoschwanz...you could have just given him advice rather than trying to act all high and mighty....That sort of behaviour just makes you look childish so why post if you are going to be an idiot?

My advice you would be to use full power only in short bursts....drop it back down to cruise as often and as much as you can allow.

Skipper

Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:
    I think you can overcome the problem by trying to use your head for a change, something you are definitely not doing if you think you should be able to fly around in furballs with the throttle pinned to the firewall indefinitely.

Attack with an altitude advantage, use this altitude advantage to gain speed with the throttle set at cruise, make a firing pass on the enemy and use full throttle to climb back up and out of the way of danger. Once up and away turn the throttle back to cruise and think about your next move while looking over the situation.

That is how it worked in WWII with a smart pilot flying. Any real pilot who flew around in turn fights with the throttle pinned would end up exactly like you, an overheated and dead engine and then shot to pieces.

So the sim is right on the money, the Spit does not overheat any easier than any other plane and is better than many, and as usual the problem is with a lack of pilot brains.

Try flying on a full real server where you can try using your head to employ historical tactics more easily and even at all, or go to an even more arcade server than you obviously are flying on now, that has engine overheating disabled.

S!

Jumoschwanz
    Simply no need for that kind of reply whatsoever.

Haigotron's Avatar Senior Member
    hmmmm could be his time of the month, but most of what he says in terms of spit tactic is true...slashing attacks is the key

ploughman's Avatar Senior Member
    Try an VIII or a IX, they hardly overheat at all.

Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:

S!

Jumoschwanz
    forget to take your tablets today

I for one allways fly with radiators fully open at all times ( no matter what kind of ac it is ), sounds silly i know, but if u use speed and alt correctly the only time u need to close rads and get thoose extra few mph is when u get someone on your tail and need to get away REAL fast. I found that 10-20 mph extra usally means squat in a DF, especially when u fry your engine as a result.

WTE_Galway's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by BaronUnderpants:
    I for one allways fly with radiators fully open at all times ( no matter what kind of ac it is ), sounds silly i know, but if u use speed and alt correctly the only time u need to close rads and get thoose extra few mph is when u get someone on your tail and need to get away REAL fast. I found that 10-20 mph extra usally means squat in a DF, especially when u fry your engine as a result.
    The low speed handling of the LAGG is somewhat akin to an elephant crossed with a truck with the radiator open.

I am also reasonably certian you take more engine damage from shooting with cowls open.

Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BaronUnderpants:
    The low speed handling of the LAGG is somewhat akin to an elephant crossed with a truck with the radiator open.

I am also reasonably certian you take more engine damage from shooting with cowls open. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The first part i wouldnt know much about. The second part i never ever heard before? More damage when shooting?

Anyways, everyone flies to his own taste. I personally found that im a hell of alot more successfull the less i have to worrie about in the middle of a DF, opening rads, colling engine right when i need the power the most is a couple of things that comes to mind.