So i keep running out of fuel on the third mission where you've been captured, and 3 years later you have a chance to escape.

I manage to take off, and head straight for the exit in front of me, i then turn around making sure i hit the checkpoint that's directly above the Russian Airfield/base. I then manage to make it to around the third checkpoint, in which i'm intercepted by two jet fighters. At some point German fighters show up to help me from out of no where, though there is no way i can try to turn around and fight them, as i have no guns.

There is an option to start the mission with you're stolen aircraft having guns, but i figure i should be able to fly longer if i choose not to take them.

But anyways, i keep running out of fuel after diving straight to the ground after losing the 2 pilots chasing me. I usually lose them in the clouds within a minute or two, but i always run out of fuel before i get to the friendly airfield where I'm supposed to land.

I can't bail out of the aircraft, though i can make emergency landings when running out of fuel, but the mission will not be completed.

I also try using 30-40% throttle to conserve fuel, but it doesn't matter as i still run out of fuel.

my question is, if i was to lose the two pilots trying to shoot me down, then climb to a very high altitude, instead of flying 50 meters above the ground, will i conserve fuel?

Does this game actually allow you to use less fuel by flying at higher altitudes? That is my question.

M_Gunz's Avatar Banned
    You use less fuel if you run lower rpms especially with lower power, and you go faster true speed when you fly higher
    but watch not to run above your supercharger height. You can also lean the mixture to save gas but watch engine heat.

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    I never had a problem with fuel on that map. Taxiing and so forth yes....I shall replay it and see what happens!

EDIT: Just tried it...that was always a fun mission to play. Anyways no fuel issues...well its tight but I was able to land at the designated base without too much trouble. I climbed to 3500 meters at my highest point.

Flying on deck is not the best fuel economy for most planes. The engine is made to run in thinner atmosphere, so it will naturally conserve fuel if you fly higher.

I would climb after you lose the pilots or try to avoid diving to lose them. You can at least run with less throttle and probably fly much fasdter than you would on deck.

TinyTim's Avatar Banned
    Originally posted by BillSwagger:
    The engine is made to run in thinner atmosphere, so it will naturally conserve fuel if you fly higher.
    Actually it's the drag which is dropping considerably with altitude thus enabling planes to fly faster and/or more economical at high altitudes.

In any case - yeah, high alt is the way to go if you need to fly far. Plus, don't fly at full throttle (if situation permits). Engines consume more fuel per kilometer if you fly at max. power. Lower the speed, better the economy (in a reasonable limits of course - flying near a stall speed with landing flaps deployed isn't gonna work).

Well for one, I'm not using flaps, i'm not flooring it, and the aircraft is a jet fighter with a prop or propeller powered by the jet motor.

I just wasn't sure if the game took into account, the ability to get better fuel economy by flying at high altitude, rather then hugging the deck with 50% power or so.

DKoor's Avatar Senior Member
    Hey Jimston, long time ago I made a track in which you can see how I played that mission on 'realistic' settings.
    Once you get that fighter in the air it shouldn't be so hard.
    The toughest part for me was landing in one piece due to my unfamiliarity with that fighter and extremely bad weather.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/5f12...rI250-BS46escapemis3

Put the .NTRK in your records folder and watch the track .
    P.S. if you check out the fuel level you will see that mission was done on 16% fuel (mission default) .

I'm fairly sure the mission builder (Davidov)reduced the fuel load deliberately for a bit of extra excitement.