1. #1

    Community Generated Content (AKA Fan Art/Videos/Etc)

    To keep myself from further hijacking the other thread with this stuff - here we go!

    Originally Posted by LuckyBide Go to original post
    A traffic cone ? I'm curious to know how a traffic cone could end up in a SC animation, haha. Do you have a video for it ?
    Tada?


    The joke with the traffic cone goes way back. When they were remaking Conviction, a lot of us here were eager for information, but no one would say what was going on. Rather than push for something I knew they couldn't do, for fun I asked for a render of something - a random, completely generic prop. For whatever reason I settled on the traffic cone. I kept asking and our ComDev at the time probably questioned my sanity, but alas, I never did get one... So, years later, after I started working with UDK, I tried out Matinee and made a little clip of my own. And, since it was during Conviction, I had to do the Last Known Position thing... It was silly and dumb, but fun to make and I learned the basics of Matinee. So, all good.

    I will try. I tried to gain motivation these last times and knowing now that other fans are also learning animation brings me in a positive mood to learn as well and submit my animation ideas to fans ! And the crazy thing is that I also wanted to learn animation for other projects non-related to SC nor videogames and I have many ideas hovering in my head, so I think it is the right time for me to put my headphones on, play some Splinter Cell OST and finally start !
    Go for it! I don't do a lot with animations, but these types of little clips are fun. I'll post the new one I've been working on soon...it's slightly more advanced than the traffic cone, but given that it's been over ten years, you'd hope I'd have learned a little. lol

    I don't know what Sequencer is but for the little that I saw of Source FilmMaker, it seems quite intuitive and there are even lots of tutorials on Youtube.
    I think they're similar. Sequencer is built into Unreal and lets you make cinematics. It lets you control pretty much everything (cameras, characters, objects, lighting, sounds, materials, etc, etc).
     1 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  2. #2
    LuckyBide's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,683
    Haha I like this, it's a really fun animation. I especially love how the cone is slowly peeking and then hiding again
    And it was quite clean for a first animation, the lights going off and the LKP ghost effect. Congrats !
    You could probably gain some great experience by developing a small indie-stealth game someday with that cone as a hero, it could be original and fun and you wouldn't have to care about animating a real human character. And there's nothing to question about your sanity, nowadays there are indie games using far more unexpected heroes than a traffic cone haha.


    Originally Posted by CoastalGirl Go to original post
    Go for it! I don't do a lot with animations, but these types of little clips are fun. I'll post the new one I've been working on soon...it's slightly more advanced than the traffic cone, but given that it's been over ten years, you'd hope I'd have learned a little. lol
    I will, thanks for your support ! And this is how we learn and get better yeah, nothing else than practicing.
    I can't wait to see your new animation. I guess it will be a traffic light this time, right ?!



    Originally Posted by CoastalGirl Go to original post
    I think they're similar. Sequencer is built into Unreal and lets you make cinematics. It lets you control pretty much everything (cameras, characters, objects, lighting, sounds, materials, etc, etc).
    Alright, thanks for letting me know. It could become really useful someday ^^
    Share this post

  3. #3
    Originally Posted by LuckyBide Go to original post
    Haha I like this, it's a really fun animation. I especially love how the cone is slowly peeking and then hiding again
    And it was quite clean for a first animation, the lights going off and the LKP ghost effect. Congrats !
    Aw, thanks! It only had a few tracks (movement of the traffic cone, the light, and the material), but that was plenty for my first attempt. I messed with the light flicker so many times...

    You could probably gain some great experience by developing a small indie-stealth game someday with that cone as a hero, it could be original and fun and you wouldn't have to care about animating a real human character. And there's nothing to question about your sanity, nowadays there are indie games using far more unexpected heroes than a traffic cone haha.
    I would totally do that. lol I actually had thought about what I wanted to test some of the stealth programming with...a traffic cone is simple enough, it would work.

    I will, thanks for your support ! And this is how we learn and get better yeah, nothing else than practicing.
    I can't wait to see your new animation. I guess it will be a traffic light this time, right ?!
    Not this time, but the traffic cone will reappear.

    In the meantime, here's a render I recently updated -

    I made the environment a long time ago, and it's pretty basic, but it seemed like somewhere "Sam" might like to sneak around... I would apologize for how dark it is, but that's kind of on purpose. lol
    Share this post

  4. #4
    LuckyBide's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,683
    Originally Posted by CoastalGirl Go to original post
    Aw, thanks! It only had a few tracks (movement of the traffic cone, the light, and the material), but that was plenty for my first attempt. I messed with the light flicker so many times...
    Starting by very small and simple things is the best way to learn and get motivated to learn more.
    Sometimes we tend to be too ambitious when we learn a new craft and we realize we that we won't be able to make it so we get quickly demotivated

    Originally Posted by CoastalGirl Go to original post
    I would totally do that. lol I actually had thought about what I wanted to test some of the stealth programming with...a traffic cone is simple enough, it would work.
    Yes, please test your programming with that cone. Splinter Cone needs to become a real thing !
    And it would be even better if that cone has a recognizable characteristic like Snake's bandana or Sam's goggles


    Originally Posted by CoastalGirl Go to original post
    Not this time, but the traffic cone will reappear.

    In the meantime, here's a render I recently updated -

    I made the environment a long time ago, and it's pretty basic, but it seemed like somewhere "Sam" might like to sneak around... I would apologize for how dark it is, but that's kind of on purpose. lol
    Cool, I hope the traffic cone will reveal its name next time we'll see it ^^

    That picture makes me think a lot about CIA HQ.
    The floor is cleaned very well and reflects a lot but otherwise it looks really cool, good job !
    It's definitely a great place for Sam to sneak in and tell some jokes at this NPC he will interrogate. And a place is never too dark for Sam !
    By the way even the cone is there on the picture, so I guess he's playing in coop with Sam
    Share this post

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by LuckyBide Go to original post
    Yes, please test your programming with that cone. Splinter Cone needs to become a real thing !
    And it would be even better if that cone has a recognizable characteristic like Snake's bandana or Sam's goggles
    Splinter Cone. lol I could give it some goggles...I'll have to see how they scale.

    That picture makes me think a lot about CIA HQ.
    The floor is cleaned very well and reflects a lot but otherwise it looks really cool, good job !
    It's definitely a great place for Sam to sneak in and tell some jokes at this NPC he will interrogate. And a place is never too dark for Sam !
    Thanks. I originally made it about three years ago; I just wanted to play with rectangle lights and ended up making that. And yeah, the floor is super polished...I just really like reflections (that will continue to be obvious).

    By the way even the cone is there on the picture, so I guess he's playing in coop with Sam
    It's basically my signature - you'll find it in everything I make.

    Speaking of which - here's the new animation, and a recent render:


    All things considered, I'm happy enough with it. It's literally my first time animating a MetaHuman. Also, my first animation had only a few tracks, while this one has four tracks, PER FINGER. lol There are dozens in total, including the lights and a material. By the time I was done, Sequencer looked like spaghetti. It was fun to make, though, and I do plan to try another at some point.



    This one was just a fun way to show a bit more of my "Sam". I can't say what made me pose him like that, other than I wanted him to look content - just chilling like a happy little super spy.
    Share this post

  6. #6
    LuckyBide's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,683
    Originally Posted by CoastalGirl Go to original post
    Splinter Cone. lol I could give it some goggles...I'll have to see how they scale.
    Cool. As long as you don't give it a white strips skin otherwise VLC might sue you


    Originally Posted by CoastalGirl Go to original post
    It's basically my signature - you'll find it in everything I make.

    Speaking of which - here's the new animation, and a recent render:


    All things considered, I'm happy enough with it. It's literally my first time animating a MetaHuman. Also, my first animation had only a few tracks, while this one has four tracks, PER FINGER. lol There are dozens in total, including the lights and a material. By the time I was done, Sequencer looked like spaghetti. It was fun to make, though, and I do plan to try another at some point.
    That looks really nice, congrats. Standing up for a small sequence like that makes it quite more badass and cool than crouching. I wished there was the sound of the goggles but I guess it's due to Vimeo.
    And I also wished we could see the silhouettes of the SC-20K and the Five-Seven but maybe you can add them afterwards.
    I'm not very familiar with tracks and everything but it sounds like a lot of work. How long did it take to achieve ?


    Originally Posted by CoastalGirl Go to original post

    This one was just a fun way to show a bit more of my "Sam". I can't say what made me pose him like that, other than I wanted him to look content - just chilling like a happy little super spy.
    I like how "Sam" is relaxed, smiling and posing while there's a guard right behind him, Lambert won't be happy about this
    And the cone is still here of course ^^
    Anyway the setting looks cool, I like the multiple windows and the exterior environment. It seems like a building separated from the city and highly secured because it has secret activities.
    It definitely looks as a place that Sam would infiltrate and it makes me want to play this mission. Did you design the whole building ? Or just parts of it ?
    Share this post

  7. #7
    Originally Posted by LuckyBide Go to original post
    Cool. As long as you don't give it a white strips skin otherwise VLC might sue you
    If my little traffic cone became well known enough for that to be an issue, I'd consider it a win. lol

    That looks really nice, congrats. Standing up for a small sequence like that makes it quite more badass and cool than crouching. I wished there was the sound of the goggles but I guess it's due to Vimeo.
    I actually haven't done any sound for it yet...maybe at some point. I did search for an NVG sound, but they were either obviously stolen from SC (which I'm just not comfortable using), or they sounded weird. In a perfect world, though, you'd hear the classic sound just after the lights go off, before he turns.

    And I also wished we could see the silhouettes of the SC-20K and the Five-Seven but maybe you can add them afterwards.
    Modeling some weapons for him is on my to-do list.

    I'm not very familiar with tracks and everything but it sounds like a lot of work. How long did it take to achieve ?
    It was probably around six to eight hours, total, but a lot of that was just me fussing with the animation. I did at least three versions of movement for each arm/hand, and a couple of different versions of the nod in the dark. I could have easily kept messing with it, but I had to stop myself at some point.

    I like how "Sam" is relaxed, smiling and posing while there's a guard right behind him, Lambert won't be happy about this
    I can hear him getting scolded... lol

    Anyway the setting looks cool, I like the multiple windows and the exterior environment. It seems like a building separated from the city and highly secured because it has secret activities.
    I know it's kind of cliche, but it's my favorite kind of location so that's what I went with.

    It definitely looks as a place that Sam would infiltrate and it makes me want to play this mission. Did you design the whole building ? Or just parts of it ?
    I made everything. Some of the assets I'd made previously and retexured for this, but the rest were new - the railings, windows, wall panels, flooring, and most of the props. I had an image of the environment my head, and went from there.
    Share this post

  8. #8
    LuckyBide's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,683
    Originally Posted by CoastalGirl Go to original post
    If my little traffic cone became well known enough for that to be an issue, I'd consider it a win. lol
    True ^^


    Originally Posted by CoastalGirl Go to original post
    I actually haven't done any sound for it yet...maybe at some point. I did search for an NVG sound, but they were either obviously stolen from SC (which I'm just not comfortable using), or they sounded weird. In a perfect world, though, you'd hear the classic sound just after the lights go off, before he turns.
    It seems to be that they did the NVG sound with the flash of an old camera. Anyway the sound is more or less the same according to the games.


    Originally Posted by CoastalGirl Go to original post
    Modeling some weapons for him is on my to-do list.
    Cool, I'm curious to see how it will look


    Originally Posted by CoastalGirl Go to original post
    It was probably around six to eight hours, total, but a lot of that was just me fussing with the animation. I did at least three versions of movement for each arm/hand, and a couple of different versions of the nod in the dark. I could have easily kept messing with it, but I had to stop myself at some point.
    I thought it would have took more than that. But maybe it's not because you have some experience doing that. I guess that making animations goes with a lot of tries to see which one looks the best.


    Originally Posted by CoastalGirl Go to original post
    I can hear him getting scolded... lol
    And then telling a joke about the situation


    Originally Posted by CoastalGirl Go to original post
    I made everything. Some of the assets I'd made previously and retexured for this, but the rest were new - the railings, windows, wall panels, flooring, and most of the props. I had an image of the environment my head, and went from there.
    Oh cool. That's impressive because that does look nice and most importantly believable.
    So how big is the building ? And how many guards are patrolling in it ? ^^
    Share this post

  9. #9
    Originally Posted by LuckyBide Go to original post
    I thought it would have took more than that. But maybe it's not because you have some experience doing that. I guess that making animations goes with a lot of tries to see which one looks the best.
    I knew what I wanted it to look like, but making it look natural wasn't easy for me. There's some finessing to get the motions right; I could get the overall timing, but real movement isn't at one speed - some parts of a motion go faster/slower than others. I have no actual experience with that, so I ended up practicing in front of a mirror to see what really happens, and try to duplicate it. I do fully understand why everyone does mo-cap now, though.

    Oh cool. That's impressive because that does look nice and most importantly believable.
    So how big is the building ? And how many guards are patrolling in it ? ^^
    Thanks! Most of the work that I do is buildings, so that part's a lot easier for me. That particular building isn't very large; probably somewhere around 15,000 sq. ft, but it'd be part of a larger compound - there would also be a warehouse/manufacturing building, some smaller outbuildings, and a good amount of outdoor space.
    I picture guard presence being a mix of light and heavy; higher security areas like the private office wing, the warehouse, manufacturing area, etc would have a higher density of guards.


    Oh, and btw, I did start on a split jump image... lol
    Share this post

  10. #10
    LuckyBide's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,683
    Originally Posted by CoastalGirl Go to original post
    I knew what I wanted it to look like, but making it look natural wasn't easy for me. There's some finessing to get the motions right; I could get the overall timing, but real movement isn't at one speed - some parts of a motion go faster/slower than others. I have no actual experience with that, so I ended up practicing in front of a mirror to see what really happens, and try to duplicate it. I do fully understand why everyone does mo-cap now, though.
    Definitely. Imagining an animation in your mind is really hard. That's why when we watch some old development "behind the scenes" videos from the time where animations were mostly handcrafted, you'd see animators having videos of real people making the moves and they would base their work on that.
    Mocap must have been a relief for animators but I miss the old handcrafted animations.


    Originally Posted by CoastalGirl Go to original post
    Thanks! Most of the work that I do is buildings, so that part's a lot easier for me. That particular building isn't very large; probably somewhere around 15,000 sq. ft, but it'd be part of a larger compound - there would also be a warehouse/manufacturing building, some smaller outbuildings, and a good amount of outdoor space.
    I picture guard presence being a mix of light and heavy; higher security areas like the private office wing, the warehouse, manufacturing area, etc would have a higher density of guards.

    Oh, and btw, I did start on a split jump image... lol
    It's already a nice sized building. Anyway it's always the right way to start with a small scale, learn how to fill properly the building and then go for bigger maps or structures.
    You should do a "visit" video of the compound once you'll finish it. No animations, you know just a free camera roaming around all the compound with guards presence so we can see your work and analyze it. That would be nice !

    Cool, then I hope your metahuman Sam has stretched his legs
    Share this post