LuckyBide's Avatar Senior Member

Fellow Splinter Cell fans, let's write together an open letter to Ubisoft

As many people said recently here on this forum and elsewhere on the internet, we should express our wishes and hopes about Splinter Cell right now to Ubisoft and not wait until an official reveal from them. And even more if the recent rumor of a new game in preparation is true. The sooner we will be involved in the development cycle, the better it will be because that's when the most important decisions for the game appear. Because if what will be shown in that reveal doesn't suit the fans, it will be too late to ask for fundamental changes.

Therefore SCAgent95 and I talked and we had the same idea : we suggest that we fans here on this forum gather and write an open letter to Ubisoft.

The goal would be to show that we fans are not negative people making development teams anxious to work on Splinter Cell as their CEO claims, that we are available for constructive and positive discussions around the franchise, that we have many ideas and concepts to share about how to make SC evolve in the right direction, and how we want the best for this franchise because it still has a huge creative potential and if the next game is a commercial failure then the risks of seeing this franchise being burried by Ubisoft once and for all would be very high.

We would first discuss the few main important elements that the incoming game should have or not have according to us. We would then participate together to the writing of the letter and since we're not that many here on this forum, I suggest that we then submit it to the Splinter Cell subreddit to get more support since there is way more people there. I'm quite confident about this because I'm also active there and I've seen many people having similar opinions about how Ubisoft handles the SC franchise. And alongside we'll find a way for people to show their support to this open letter through a poll, signatures or anything else.

So here's a first draft of how this open letter would go (ofc it's not definitive and you can suggest modifications):

EDIT: To read the final version of the letter, go here: https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthrea...1#post15519837

Originally Posted by Draft for the open letter
    Introduction. Reminding them what Splinter Cell means to us fans, why we are so attached to Splinter Cell and what made this franchise so unique : that Splinter Cell was originally built around stealth gameplay in a realistic setting where detection and action must be avoided as much as possible. And not only because Sam is alone, vulnerable and can easily be killed or captured. But also because it makes sense in the context of the game, the necessity of avoiding dramatic geopolitical consequences and the responsibility of keeping the Splinter Cell program as much secret as possible are also strong motivations to remain silent and unseen.
    Therefore stealth must be the best way to survive and get the job done and players must be encouraged to move slowly and with precision, to be patient and methodical in their progression and to use all the tools, gadgets, the light and shadow system and their intelligence to overcome all the different type of tense situations they encounter because each little mistake can be deadly or put the mission in jeopardy.
    As Irving Lambert said once : "Your gun should always be your last resort. Invisibility is your best weapon." And it is that spirit we fans miss and want to see return.

1. expressing our concerns : that we've seen many people on the whole internet being very worried and highly sceptical after the announcement of this rumor. And we could also mention the fact that current Ubisoft projects are taking a worrying direction for many players and especially for SC fans because they don't want to see that free-to-play/open-world/RPG/MTX formula applied to their beloved franchise.

2. explaining why we're doing this letter : see the goal paragraph above

3. showing which direction we want the next game to take without seeming too directive of course. And most importantly expressing the fact that we want to be more involved in the development process like IO Interactive did back then in 2016 when they started releasing the first Hitman missions and working hand in hand with players, a method that has ended up being successful both in terms of critics and sales.

4. expressing our suggestions for the next game : a true come back to the roots, a gameplay focused first and foremost on stealth and slow pace, the ability to precisely control Sam and his movement speed, a Hitman-style sandbox level design, a stimulating AI bringing real tension, a credible and realistic Tom Clancy plot with some player choices affecting gameplay, possibly Michael Ironside, the return of Sam's dry humor,... (that list is non definitive, things could be added or removed)

5. expressing what we would NOT want to see in the game : an open-world, Sarah as a Splinter Cell agent, a free-to-play or multiplayer only game, a focus on action gameplay, fast-paced parkour animations, the "mark & execute" mechanic, light RPG mechanics, silly or unrealistic things like ridiculous & flashy skins, invisibility, aliens, mind-controlled army drone, permanent wallhack,... (that list is non definitive, things could be added or removed)

Conclusion : expressing our strong desire and our availability to be proactively involved in the game development because Splinter Cell has been a dormant franchise for so long and a lot of things have changed in the industry since then. Therefore we think it would be the best thing to do right now for the franchise so it can regain that original spirit described in the introduction of this letter and also potentially become successful and appealing for many players who are demanding for more real stealth games.
    Of course I'm just giving an example of the letter here and things can change or be reformulated. Maybe it could be a shorter letter without showing our suggestions and just asking that players have more involvement in the development process or can participate to that vertical slice demo they supposedly used as a tutorial section during a playtest and give useful feedback in return. Anyway let's discuss it and tell what according to you would be the best strategy to adopt.

By the way you may ask what would happen if that letter doesn't get enough support ? Or if Ubisoft doesn't care about it and continue to ignore us ?
    Answer: we don't care. I think many of us long fans are fed up of continuing to post on this forum and not being listened and on top of that being falsely accused of making the development teams anxious. And I have hard time trusting the current Ubisoft into making positive changes and showing that they're listening and understanding us. So let's at least try something. And if that letter leads nowhere then we will be able to say that we tried, and we will have a proof of our good will if the next game ends up being disappointing for many fans and players and/or if Ubisoft continue to blame us.
    And even if that rumor isn't true and there's no game in development, that could be useful and show Ubisoft that we care a lot about the franchise and that we're ready to participate positively in its future.

So tell me if you agree with the idea and are willing to participate in the writing of this open letter, if you would be ready to sign it or if you think the idea is dumb. Let's talk about it.
    Thanks for reading !
     5 people found this helpful

SCAgent95's Avatar Senior Member
    Luckybide came to me with the idea and I admitted that I had the same thought as well ever since the recent rumor appeared and helped a bit in the steps process, this is something productive for us fans to do instead of making fun and being disappointed in ubisoft, I still stand by my beliefs that their games the past decade are some of the most soulless and boring "experiences" I have ever seen in my 20 years or so I have been playing games, so my hopes are not high, HOWEVER I still have a little hope that some devs out there are also fans of stealth games and there might be a chance we may see a return to form for our beloved series.

You have my support on the open letter and I am ready to be constructive and explain what we fans think the future of SC should be.
     2 people found this helpful

Yes, I share the same hope as you do about some devs out there and even at Ubisoft who still love stealth games and want to see them come back. And it would be great if they and we fans make our voices heard together.

And I also think it could be a good opportunity for Ubisoft to clean up their image and make an interesting move for their reputation.

semajmarc87's Avatar Senior Member
    One thing right off the bat. DO NOT make Sara an agent. That will be a dealbreaker for most of us. Second, I am encouraged by rumors that say Ubisoft is planning on taking elements from the HITMAN trilogy. A globetrotting Sam Fisher with large, detailed and distinct maps sounds great. Also, please make all the missions night missions. Half the missions were in broad daylight in Blacklist which wasn't good. Rain and snow are also pluses. And whatever you do. Don't make the entire game open world. I'm sick of open world games.
     2 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by semajmarc87 Go to original post
    One thing right off the bat. DO NOT make Sara an agent. That will be a dealbreaker for most of us. Second, I am encouraged by rumors that say Ubisoft is planning on taking elements from the HITMAN trilogy. A globetrotting Sam Fisher with large, detailed and distinct maps sounds great. Also, please make all the missions night missions. Half the missions were in broad daylight in Blacklist which wasn't good. Rain and snow are also pluses. And whatever you do. Don't make the entire game open world. I'm sick of open world games.
    I entirely agree with you. Sarah being an agent is I think the most worrying thing among fans today because we've seen so many signs leading towards this non-sense. This will definitely be included in the final version of the open letter.
    The Hitman inspiration is indeed and encouraging rumor, we'll also have to show our enthousiasm about it in the letter.
    And I take note for the rest.
    Feel free to share more of your feedback and give your opinion about the content and form of the letter

While I commend the effort and hope y'all have, I don't think I'll be participating because I don't think it will do anything. Y'all have been voicing your opinion for years on here since Blacklist and what we've gotten out of it is Sarah Fisher becoming a Splinter Cell operative. It's quite evident they're not listening to anyone but themselves and implementing the most idiotic ideas that add insult to injury by ****ting on the lore.

If they decide to remove Sarah Fisher from Elite Squad, her "IcOnIc SnIpEr RiFlE" from Ghost Recon, and Splinter Cell: Firewall gets cancelled, then I'll be perking my head up and possibly give my opinion. Until then, I'll just be checking in to watch the most catastrophic conclusion to a series unfold before our eyes.

If I was a betting man I would most definitely side with you Eddie, chances are VERY high that whatever they got cooking will be a disaster, but at least with this letter we will be able to at least say we tried to help them and were open and friendly about it and willing to help them see what we see in the series, and when people say that SC Fans are "unapproachable" or very "hard to please" we will have this letter as proof of otherwise.

But... yeah...they really like Sarah as a SC.... Which Sam would never allow to happen, and so many bad choices these past years, if or probably when it ends up in a catastrophe, Ill join you with a beer and laugh at them together

Originally Posted by EddieTheBunny2 Go to original post
    While I commend the effort and hope y'all have, I don't think I'll be participating because I don't think it will do anything. Y'all have been voicing your opinion for years on here since Blacklist and what we've gotten out of it is Sarah Fisher becoming a Splinter Cell operative. It's quite evident they're not listening to anyone but themselves and implementing the most idiotic ideas that add insult to injury by ****ting on the lore.

If they decide to remove Sarah Fisher from Elite Squad, her "IcOnIc SnIpEr RiFlE" from Ghost Recon, and Splinter Cell: Firewall gets cancelled, then I'll be perking my head up and possibly give my opinion. Until then, I'll just be checking in to watch the most catastrophic conclusion to a series unfold before our eyes.
    I entirely understand you and I share your feelings, but it's not about hope. I'm not optimistic at all about the situation and I'm not very confident in Ubisoft to make the necessary changes and the first steps in the right direction. But as SCAgent95 and I said, let's just try something else. Because if a new game is announced, we all know that the exact same cycle that occured with Blacklist back then will happen again: Ubisoft won't hear us loud and clear, game will probably underperform and Ubisoft will blame us and burry the franchise for good. So let's complain before all of this happened and show them that we don't want of their silly ideas to become real.
    And as I said in my original post, if that letter fails then we don't care. At this point we fans have nothing to lose anymore but we can still re-establish some truth by proving that we're not responsible of the situation by supposedly making development teams anxious to work on the franchise.

I like the approach - civil and constructive is definitely the way to go.

For me:

Gameplay - I would much prefer a tight stealth experience over a "play your way but we've had to water everything down to make it work" experience. I miss the old light and sound meters, more variable speeds, and ghost-friendly gadgets like the EEV, OCP, and ultrasonic emitter. I might be more flexible than some on the inclusion of action-based features, but they need to not impact my ghosting.

Characters - I don't want Sarah as a Splinter Cell. It's not just about Sam not letting her (as an independent female, that's not really a thing lol), but she was never presented that way. She was a normal kid, going to school, getting abducted...the usual stuff. I liked the humanity her character helped bring to Sam, but that's all I needed from her. Trying to make her more than that now, especially after everything that happened with the fake death and lying to Sam and all of that, it's just wrong. Plus, she's young, and I've never been fond of young Splinter Cells. Sam had decades of experience before he started and that's the type of character I'm looking for. I would love to get Sam (the real one) back, of course, but it may not be possible. I accept that. I just hope that whatever character replaced him would share his core characteristics and be believable in the role.

Level design - I think we're pretty much all in agreement about wanting sandboxes. I'd like some globetrotting, unique environments, and lots and lots of darkness.
     1 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by CoastalGirl Go to original post
    Characters - I don't want Sarah as a Splinter Cell. It's not just about Sam not letting her (as an independent female, that's not really a thing lol), but she was never presented that way. She was a normal kid, going to school, getting abducted...the usual stuff. I liked the humanity her character helped bring to Sam, but that's all I needed from her. Trying to make her more than that now, especially after everything that happened with the fake death and lying to Sam and all of that, it's just wrong. Plus, she's young, and I've never been fond of young Splinter Cells. Sam had decades of experience before he started and that's the type of character I'm looking for. I would love to get Sam (the real one) back, of course, but it may not be possible. I accept that. I just hope that whatever character replaced him would share his core characteristics and be believable in the role.
    Agreed, you said it much better than me, when I said Sam wouldn't let her, I meant, as a father who almost lost her once, and who does this extremely dangerous job he would try his best to guide her towards something less dangerous and not let her copy his steps. Of course If Sarah wanted to go the military route Sam wouldn't be able to do much about it.

But as you already mentioned, at no point in the series has Sarah ever shown interest in becoming a SC, so its worrying ubi has this thing lately for constantly putting her in the spotlight (she will be a SC in the new book)

Keep Sam or bring a new character thats also mature and old-ish the SC program would choose experienced veterans not newcomers.
     1 people found this helpful

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... Last ►►