To be fair this is the best and worst time for Ubisoft to be working on a splinter cell game.

Best because they have made so many mistakes trying to rebrand and change titles that they may go back to their roots and back to what actually works.

But also worst because all of their current games are rubbish and have massively moved on from what made them unique and good in the first place. They also seem to love open world looter mtx rubbish in all their titles. They’ve also ruined GR and R6 so chances are they will butcher this as well.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times….

semajmarc87's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Rea1SamF1sher Go to original post
    https://venturebeat.com/2021/10/19/u...efore-e3-2021/
    This sounds promising, if true. Develop it in a small team and go ahead with the strenghts of SC.

"with elements of the 2016 Hitman reboot."

This quote stood out as a definite positive to me. The Hitman trilogy reboot is awesome. It would be great if Splinter Cell followed that model.

We need the stealth gameplay from the first 3 games.

I also want Chaos Theory Spies vs Mercs, not that watered down Blacklist crap. I don't mean to be harsh, but I was very disappointed with Blacklist multi-player.

I don't have any hopes for this. We'll all see by 2022, if not 2023, when they release gameplay

LuckyBide's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Rea1SamF1sher Go to original post
    https://venturebeat.com/2021/10/19/u...efore-e3-2021/
    This sounds promising, if true. Develop it in a small team and go ahead with the strenghts of SC.
    For once this is a rumor I want to believe to be true because of the Hitman 2016 inspiration. But let's remain cautious, they may have abandoned that prototype or may have not been fully inspired by the right things from Hitman. Anyway I'm quite sure Ubisoft know that many SC fans want the franchise to follow Hitman's path and especially in terms of level design, we've been expressing it for so many years now.
    But if the rumor that Semajmarc87 posted is true then let's never forget that neither Ubisoft Montreal nor Clint Hocking are working on the game so let's remain very careful...

Originally Posted by Jimboone Go to original post
    You're an ubisoft employee, right? You're not in the know if this is true or not?
    Now that I think about it, even if you do know you can't confirm nor deny until Ubisoft annouces it themselves...
    Nope, not an employee, just a volunteer forum moderator. Unless it's forum-related, I'm in the dark like everyone else.

Originally Posted by LuckyBide Go to original post
    For once this is a rumor I want to believe to be true because of the Hitman 2016 inspiration. But let's remain cautious, they may have abandoned that prototype or may have not been fully inspired by the right things from Hitman.
    That was my first thought with the mention of Hitman, too... I know they're very well made and well loved, but I don't like that gameplay. I really don't want disguises to become a Splinter Cell thing (maybe as a part of a larger mission - admittedly I still really want to drive a security cart like in the book... lol). Also, I don't know much about the narrative of Hitman, but I'd like a break from the personal drama/betrayal storylines within the core character group. I miss the camaraderie.
    Anyway I'm quite sure Ubisoft know that many SC fans want the franchise to follow Hitman's path and especially in terms of level design, we've been expressing it for so many years now.
    Absolutely. They're sandboxes, and we love those!
    But if the rumor that Semajmarc87 posted is true then let's never forget that neither Ubisoft Montreal nor Clint Hocking are working on the game so let's remain very careful...
    I'd certainly like to see what Clint might do with it now, but if he's choosing not to, then I respect that. Besides, you never know, maybe there are some devs who loved the early SCs and would work to bring back what we're missing. It could happen...

Also, side note, if is true, they'll be watching for reactions. So, everyone be constructive!

LuckyBide's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by CoastalGirl Go to original post
    That was my first thought with the mention of Hitman, too... I know they're very well made and well loved, but I don't like that gameplay. I really don't want disguises to become a Splinter Cell thing (maybe as a part of a larger mission - admittedly I still really want to drive a security cart like in the book... lol). Also, I don't know much about the narrative of Hitman, but I'd like a break from the personal drama/betrayal storylines within the core character group. I miss the camaraderie.
    Sure, gameplays of both games should remain the same and not influence each other too much. Core Hitman gameplay is about disguises and core SC gameplay is about light & shadows. Though it remembers me of that Blacklist concept trailer where Sam disguises as a scientist. I'm not sure it would have been very fun to play if that sequence had been in the final versoin of the game. Both gameplays have their unique strengths and characteristics, and it's better if they continue doing what they're good at and not try something else.
    And as you imagine, I was of course talking about Hitman's level design as a right thing to get inspiration from.
    And I can't see how Sam could be driving a security cart, it could be funny though ^^

Hitman Absolution had a story about personal drama/betrayal and that was quite boring. Thankfully devs went back to a more traditional storyline with Hitman 2016, Agent 47 personal story is a bit more exposed but not really more than in the very first games where a part of the story was around Dr Ort-Meyer (who created agent 47). And there hasn't really been camaraderie in Hitman, 47 and Diana Burnwood (his handler since the very first game) always kept a very professional relationship, which fits the game well by the way. Humor in Hitman mainly comes from some disguises and from the absurdity of certain situations or certain assassinations.

Absolutely. They're sandboxes, and we love those!
    Yes ! Sandboxes and stealth go well together !

I'd certainly like to see what Clint might do with it now, but if he's choosing not to, then I respect that. Besides, you never know, maybe there are some devs who loved the early SCs and would work to bring back what we're missing. It could happen...
    Yeah maybe. I'm sure Ubisoft has the talents to make a great Splinter Cell game. The problem rather comes from the executives and marketing team. They must understand that this franchise will need time, resources, innovation and therefore give developers a lot of creative freedom. If they insist to make this game look like any other Ubisoft current game then the project is already doomed to failure.

Also, side note, if is true, they'll be watching for reactions. So, everyone be constructive!
    We are sharpening our arguments and send constructive messages for a decade now (if not more) so we are ready, and I hope they are too because they will hear from us

Ubisoft honestly just needs to get some true hardcore fans but also critical up to the studio. Similar to what they did for Blacklist, but take some true criticism and implement it.
    The problem I saw with some or at least one of the fans that flew to Toronto for Blacklist was the *** kissing. Not going to name names, but the one that interrupted the presentation to say "Conviction was a master piece". Obviously that's debatable but for the overwhelming majority, Conviction was a flop and it's imperative to be critical so things can be done right. There are times where I spew plenty of my backhanded jokes and some more explicitly, but overall, they need to realize we(or at least myself) do this as a way to show frustration of the direction the series has gone. Nobody truly "wants" to hate on something for the sake of hating something. Some do it for clout, some for humor, and some out of frustration. If this new game actually can make it to a release date, they need to get some advice from the older fans first. That way it can start off with a build that is true a Splinter Cell game... and then if they must add some of the new things AFTER the fundamentals are established, that being variable speeds, alarms, visibility, cameras, etc.. Think of the Mark and Execute and other questionable additions AFTER the fundamentals are implemented. Blacklist was an example of them arbitrarily grabbing elements from multiple genres and smashing it together without thought... and stealth was clearly not the initial build of the game. As a matter of fact, I would prefer for them not to think "Stealth" but to just think "Splinter Cell". Forget thinking "What is a stealth game?" and think "What is a Splinter Cell game?" and I mean a true Splinter Cell game. I don't see the harm in grabbing some fans again to get input, but BEFORE the main build is done. I don't think fans care anymore about a "surprise reveal" anymore. They just want things done right. I'd rather see a game in early development so I or someone else can make sure the game is made correctly rather than seeing a Pre-Alpha build of the game Where(Let's be honest) most of the mechanics are permanent and there to stay. I just don't trust them without having some help from fans of the legacy titles.
     2 people found this helpful

RaulO4's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by semajmarc87 Go to original post

"with elements of the 2016 Hitman reboot."

This quote stood out as a definite positive to me. The Hitman trilogy reboot is awesome. It would be great if Splinter Cell followed that model.

by elements...they mean the mobile style unlocking system of course. so they can keep you "Coming" back and back and back to complete all of these "Optional" objectives.

Originally Posted by LuckyBide Go to original post
    Sure, gameplays of both games should remain the same and not influence each other too much. Core Hitman gameplay is about disguises and core SC gameplay is about light & shadows. Though it remembers me of that Blacklist concept trailer where Sam disguises as a scientist.
    I get it, but it makes me nervous! Being out in front of people like that just seems wrong.
    Watching the rest of that video, though, the tech really was quite cool. So much effort was put in, and I appreciate that. Sadly, the focus on action and momentum is wasted on me (being one that hides in a corner for ten minutes before making a move lol), but I do like the fluidity. Also, their "closer than ever" animations were solid, and appreciable as a ghost.

And I can't see how Sam could be driving a security cart, it could be funny though ^^
    It's been years since I last read it, but as I recall it was just to cross a well-lit/camera-covered parking lot outside of the building he was infiltrating. It's definitely silly, but that's kind of why I love it. I can absolutely picture Sam puttering along in the little golf cart with Grim and Lambert in his ear, giving him grief about it. Light stuff, like the good old days.

We are sharpening our arguments and send constructive messages for a decade now (if not more) so we are ready, and I hope they are too because they will hear from us
    I hope they're not too scared of us, as we can be a little passionate about SC... lol
    As far as communication goes, though, I like what I'm seeing over in the Valhalla forums. Reps are quite active and involved. It makes me optimistic about that side of things.

I'm pretty certain that when they were talking about hitman - They were referring to sand-box style of gameplay and that's about it.

I think what IOI did with Hitman was great. Soft reboot started from scratch and done it so you can mke some money and keep it to its roots. Well done. Was not perfect but very good try!

Ubi needs to take some ideas and do a soft reboot same way start with fresh story and keep the core elements in place and just make it in new engine with bunch of improvments around it.

IF they so hard to money and microtrans and sales im sure they can do something like IOI did and add extra seasons maps contect oer misssions. Notice that Agent 47 has similar set up - Its not open world but instead you travel the world to diff locations and Hitman shows this being done extrmely well. Look at some of the maps and design just goregoues.

Sam would have the same thing going on - Main story that takes him around the wolrd and fascinating locations and then just wrap nicely. Sanbox big map would allow us to enter multipale ways ans would allow for diff play style. Most of those missions would need to be at night and maybe one or two odd in the day where we actually can disguse to gain entry.