BLaZiNgSPEED's Avatar Member

Quick/Manual saving or minimizing causes in game text to disappear from the screen!

Hello, I have a big issue. I'm not sure if this is normal.

My Splinter Cell 1 PC is the Ubisoft Connect version. I'm not sure if the Steam version does this too. I used to play it 2 years ago on Windows 8.1 and I don't recall experiencing such an issue like this (not as far as I can remember).

In June this year I installed the game on Windows 10. Regardless of what resolution I choose. If I press Quick Save or Manual Save the text with each save drops downwards, causing it to eventually disappear off screen!

As you can see, first screenshot where it says Pick the lock is at the bottom. But as I saved the game the second screenshot where it says Open the door. The text has basically cut off to the bottom.

This is how the text shows, it is not on level with the green bar, which is normally how it displays on the same level. But instead, it is dropping downwards constantly with each saving of the game..

Further savings will continue to make this until the text completely disappears!

Is this by design or is there a fault somewhere in the game windows settings? Does anyone else have this with the text dropping downwards with each saving or minimizing to desktop? I tried applying Widescreen Fix, but this did not make any difference whatsoever.

I also asked the same question on Steam, but no one is able to answer to say that they also experience this.

Anyway, I do admit that after completing the mission and starting the next mission the text does return back to normal at the start of the next new level. But this vicious cycle will continue, until of-course the mission is complete and moved on to the next one.

Ubi-Borealis's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Hello there BLaZiNgSPEED!

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your in-game text disappearing off-screen. Thank you for letting us know more about what you have tried so far to troubleshoot the issue, and for including images. These are very helpful for further investigation!

If you haven't already, can you please try all of the steps on this PC troubleshooting article. These steps help to tackle a number of common causes behind technical issues in-game. In particular, I recommend that you try verifying your game files, as this will help to fix any missing or corrupted files that could cause visual issues like this.

You mention that you didn't encounter this issue when playing the game on Windows 8.1. It could be worthwhile to try playing the game in compatibility mode to test if the issue could be to do with running the game on Windows 10.

If the issue continues to persist after trying these troubleshooting steps, please don't hesitate to reach out so we can continue to take a closer look at this.

Thanks!

BLaZiNgSPEED's Avatar Member
    Many thanks for your response!

Yes, I have tried running in compatibility mode. I tried selecting Windows 8, there's no option for 8.1. I also tried with Vista and the story is the same. I also tried disabling full-screen optimizations.

I have also tried multiple Wide Screen patch fixes, including applying the PS3 Textures Pack. As well as verifying the files.
    --------
    However, interestingly it appears after-all it isn't a deal breaker as I first thought it was! I have found an alternative solution to reading the text by pressing Control key to open up the Quick Inventory!!

Now as you can see, where I am on the start of Chapter 7, "Infiltrate Kalinatek" can be viewed by pressing Ctrl. This is basically my workaround to getting by this annoying glitch. Because otherwise, the main in-game text will eventually disappear after multiple quick/manual saves.

Even pressing the Print Screen button to take a screenshot drops the text down.

But at least I am now able to view the text by opening Quick Inventory as shown in this screenshot. I have gone through all 6 game chapters so far like that. I'd say it is probably more of an aesthetic nuisance. But it still makes me curious why some users don't experience this.

I have watched YouTube videos and the main in game text doesn't drop. When the text animation does drop, it returns back on level a second later. Though, I have seen screenshots on Steam of other users that have the same glitch as me. But no one else seems to speak of this.

Other than that, I don't have any other issues with the game! Thankfully my relief is by opening Quick Inventory I am able to read the text that way. If it wasn't for that, it would've been difficult to play through the missions as I wouldn't know what my goals are.

Ubi-Borealis's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Thanks for reaching out to us with an update, BLaZiNgSPEED, and for sharing how you're able to prevent the text from scrolling off-screen! Thank you for taking the time to confirm what troubleshooting steps you have tried already.

I wouldn't be able to speculate on what is causing this specific issue in your game. I hope that your workaround can help any other players who may have encountered this issue in their own game

If you encounter any further trouble with the game, please don't hesitate to reach out so we can take a closer look at this.

Thanks!