🛈 Announcement
Greetings! Far Cry forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game.

Does anybody know if they improved the AI from 5?

One of the weakest points of farcry 5 was the ai, both spawn behavior and combat behavior

I just replayed the halo trilogy and although it's an old game the ai's behavior's really good; the way enemies know when to push you, disingage when they need letting their friends cover them while they do, stuff like that.

also while playing 5 I felt enemies spawn all over the place and just come out of nowhere...

so does anyone who got to play farcry 6 early or heard anything know if they improved the ai?
     1 people found this helpful

WID992007's Avatar Senior Member
    you will find out in 9 days

yes i played a pre release HANDS ON TEST of the title back in AUGUST . more i can not say (STILL UNDER NDA ) other then yes the game was good as FAR AS AI if you ask me

on that pre release build , but i have no clue what level i was on as far as EASY > NORMAL > HARD or other levels that may be in the game on release as it was a beta build ??

PLUS we have no clue on the future patches , as well

after FAR CRY 5 shipped it added INFAMOUS mode in a patch . which made the game much harder and yes made the AI see you easier and react more quickly

it was no walk in the park if that's what your asking

but i am sure you can find ways to make the game easy to play........ once you get the idea of how the AI reacts and moves + use other tactics ..same as all far cry games

as i do recall many users getting stuck in even FAR CRY 3 4 and 5 by not approaching a mission correctly , and yes youtube was a good way to find ways to find the best way on harder missions by watching speed runs

but to answer your QUESTION we will only know more in 9 days , when the game is released , and more may come with follow up patches > heck far cry 4 had 8 patches , far cry 5 had 12 over a 6 month period

farcry 5 was hard but for the wrong reasons imo, I don't like when a game is hard cause enemies allways know your location and can aimbor laser you;
    I love games where the ai's got some interesting behaviors and strategies that make the player think instead of mindlessly shootin/hiding in cover dying the second they come out.
    I searched reddit and this forum in search for talk about the enemie AI but didn't found any info or talk around the subject, so I hope people will talk about it after launch.
    I don't want to play another farcry with bad AI and hope it's better then 5 this time around

WID992007's Avatar Senior Member
    never found far cry 5 AI to be bad .. yes if you wanna go stealth do it properly ..you will not be detected ..tactics are built into the games AI so YES you can do so ..and yea it was a great game if you ask me

again FAR CRY games are NOT COMBAT SIMS.. nor were they ever a sim for real life encounters

FAR CRY games are about MAYHEM and chaos and blowing up things

game genres arn't black and white, not beeing a combat sim isn't a reasson for braindead AI, look at halo ce a game from 2001 for example, or F E A R, this weren't sims and had great ai.
    check out this video for example, how the enemies flank and put pressure on the player, stuff like this can only enance the combat gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQN3yKYkFmE
    BTW I was also talking about the way AI spawned in 5, there where times ai where just spawning behind you and keep coming out of nowhere, past farcry games didn't had that bad spawning
     1 people found this helpful

@Sir_Mr_Cheeks I agree FC 5 combat was a big let down - I found it far too easy. However, the sequel New Dawn was very challenging... for several reasons but one of which was the AI of the stronger enemies and how the game let you retake outposts while simultaneously bringing in higher level enemies.. I found New Dawn way more enjoyable over 5. In fact, I can honestly say I had a blast in New Dawn combat wise.

So I am hoping some of that carried over to 6.

KrayZee_'s Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Sir_Mr_Cheeks Go to original post
    game genres arn't black and white, not beeing a combat sim isn't a reasson for braindead AI, look at halo ce a game from 2001 for example, or F E A R, this weren't sims and had great ai.
    check out this video for example, how the enemies flank and put pressure on the player, stuff like this can only enance the combat gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQN3yKYkFmE
    BTW I was also talking about the way AI spawned in 5, there where times ai where just spawning behind you and keep coming out of nowhere, past farcry games didn't had that bad spawning
    I disagree about Halo CE, but of course opinion is subjective. I actually didn't mind the spawning and AI in Far Cry 5, but the AI is much worse in Far Cry 1 and 2. Especially in Far Cry 2, where everyone hates you and you would be forced to do off-road driving and following rivers to avoid constant enemy harassments in guard posts and vroom vroom enemy patrols chasing you to the ends of the earth as your vehicles require constant maintenance. Stealth is practically nonexistent even with suppressed weapons. In Far Cry 1, you'd have to use mods or third party patches to 'fix' the AI because Crytek ruined the AI with their latest patch. It's like the AI have telescopic X-ray vision. At least for every sequel after Far Cry 2, you could perform stealth and liberate outposts without getting spotted. You wouldn't really deal with any respawns in outposts if you destroy alarms. As for the missions, I didn't really find the respawns to be annoying.

If you tolerated Far Cry 1 and Far Cry 2's AI, Far Cry 5 wouldn't really be much of a problem to you.

Originally Posted by rickidoo Go to original post
    @Sir_Mr_Cheeks I agree FC 5 combat was a big let down - I found it far too easy. However, the sequel New Dawn was very challenging... for several reasons but one of which was the AI of the stronger enemies and how the game let you retake outposts while simultaneously bringing in higher level enemies.. I found New Dawn way more enjoyable over 5. In fact, I can honestly say I had a blast in New Dawn combat wise.

So I am hoping some of that carried over to 6.
    You agree in a different context. You found it easy but you're responding to someone who claims its hard due to AI respawns.

LaMOi's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Sir_Mr_Cheeks Go to original post
    One of the weakest points of farcry 5 was the ai, both spawn behavior and combat behavior

I just replayed the halo trilogy and although it's an old game the ai's behavior's really good; the way enemies know when to push you, disingage when they need letting their friends cover them while they do, stuff like that.

also while playing 5 I felt enemies spawn all over the place and just come out of nowhere...

so does anyone who got to play farcry 6 early or heard anything know if they improved the ai?
    I know what youíre saying.

FAR CRY 5ís AI was noticeably worse than the previous games. I donít know why that was.
    FAR CRY 4 the AI was decent enough.

I did read an article that suggested that they had improved, well letís say diversified the AI behaviour with the introduction of more enemy types e.g the medic and engineer for example. It might make combat more interesting.

But AI has unfortunately not seen the same evolution that the visuals and narrative have in games. There was a time around the late 90s when AI in games was really something to be excited about for example Half Life 2, FEAR etc. I think the last game that was noteworthy with regard to AI was the game you mention ó HALO.

I donít not what happened behind the scenes, but AI became less of a focus, and in some instances an after thought.

Given FAR CRY 6 does not seem like the next reboot of the franchise but more another instalment on the same engine with a lot of recycled assets, I would not hold your breath.

Iím hoping FAR CRY 6 will be good. But we will have to wait and see.
    Itís certainly in a great position to be successful, as thereís really nothing else coming out this year.