LuckyBide's Avatar Senior Member

New Splinter Cell novel coming in 2022 with... Sam and Sarah working together -_-

A new SC novel called "Firewall" has been announced recently, written by James Swallow and planned for spring of 2022.

Here's the tweet of the author: https://mobile.twitter.com/jmswallow...25501657022469

And the book description on the publisher's website :
    Legendary agent Sam Fisher teams up with a new NSA recruit – his own daughter – to save the world in this gripping new thriller from the renowned Splinter Cell videogame universe.
    Veteran Fourth Echelon agent Sam Fisher has a new mission recruiting and training the next generation of Splinter Cell operatives for the NSA’s covert action division, including his own daughter Sarah. But when a lethal assassin from Fisher’s past returns from the dead on a mission of murder, father and daughter are thrust into a race against time as a sinister threat to global security is revealed. A dangerous cyberwarfare technology known as Gordian Sword – capable of crashing airliners, destroying computer networks and plunging entire cities into darkness – is being auctioned off to whichever rogue state makes the highest bid. Sam and Sarah must call on their very singular set of skills to neutralize Gordian Sword and stop the weapon falling into the wrong hands – at any cost…
    https://aconytebooks.com/shop/tom-cl...james-swallow/
    I guess Sarah will miraculously become a Splinter Cell agent from nowhere... And that old enemy coming back from the dead sounds so cheesy and cliché. Other than that I appreciate the fact that the threat is focused on a cyberwarfare technology. But Ubisoft still pushing and trying to make this series more attractive to a wider audience in this way is ridiculous and will not help it shine again.

Fraeulein's Avatar Senior Member
    Ugh. Agree, it does sound cliché.
    Sarah always seems to be a “damsel in distress” in the novels. In the comic and the games it was also “I don’t know what you do, but please be careful.”
    The novels written by Raymond Benson were great and thorough. I felt that they immersed you into that world. “Aftermath” was so so. :/

SCAgent95's Avatar Senior Member
    Just let the series die in peace ubi, please....
     2 people found this helpful

Yep - Someone is trying to kill the IP i smell sabotage! There is no other way to look at this! I think Ubi wants SC to die!

They can rewrite Sarah if they want to (I mean, it's their IP lol), but her being an agent still does not compute. For some people, it'll be fine; I can see how they could be really happy about the legacy aspect. But, I have too much history with her.

Someone is attempting to destroy the IP; I detect sabotage! There's no other way to think about it! I believe Ubi wants SC to perish!

@CoastalGirl
    They can rewrite Sarah if they want to (I mean, it's their IP lol), but her being an agent still does not compute. For some people, it'll be fine; I can see how they could be really happy about the legacy aspect. But, I have too much history with her.
    Bruh, with all due respect, are moderators required to not have an honest negative opinion about any Ubisoft choices?
    Let's be real here, these decisions are beyond idiotic it's not even "almost" as if they want the series to die. At this point, we know for "almost" a fact that they're intentionally reading the **** people post that they DON'T want and then implementing LITERALLY that.

My old friends and I were joking about how they would change Sam's voice after Conviction... and they DID. Okay, maybe a coincidence. Then a lot of people bring up the idea of Sarah working with the team and becoming an agent and everyone dunks on that idea because it's flat out dumb and "fanfiction" to say the least which is what I've been accusing Ubisoft of since Double Agent.

The people don't know how to make Splinter Cell into a monetized money making machine so they're going to release yet another disaster and pretend they had no idea what the fans wanted and then have the series come to a catastrophic close so they can say "Oh well, people just don't like stealth anymore" even though that's far from the case.

It's clear they just don't want to work on a true Splinter Cell title and they're trying to make it go away while at the same time making a poor attempt at making it look like they tried.

I'm aware it's a book, but since Double Agent, the books have started to become intertwined to a certain extent.
    This book description tells us everything we need to know about the next title... not that Ubisoft's work on their past several titles hasn't already.

Ubisoft doesn't want to put effort into something that won't make exponential gain through micro transactions so they're trying to make it die. Bottom line.
     2 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by EddieTheBunny2 Go to original post
    @CoastalGirl
    Bruh, with all due respect, are moderators required to not have an honest negative opinion about any Ubisoft choices?
    lol Definitely not. I was critical long before I was asked to moderate. I can't tell you how many times I talked about hobo Sam blowing up hot dog vendors...those were the days...
    It's really just about being civil and constructive; even when I was really against that version of Conviction, I always tried to have productive discussions about the issues I had with it. Being blindly positive doesn't help Ubi improve the games, and I care enough to do my part to help "fix" them. Back then, we talked a lot about why different stealth types aren't interchangeable, why it was important that Sam not hurt civilians, etc, etc. And, ultimately, it made a big difference. While I'm still not a fan of the single-player, at least it had light and shadow... Plus, we got the co-op and D-Ops which were good.

My old friends and I were joking about how they would change Sam's voice after Conviction... and they DID. Okay, maybe a coincidence.
    That's different, though, because it really does sound like MI legitimately couldn't do it. I fully respect if he didn't want people to know, but I do think it could have been handled better. To me, the way it was talked about did feel like he was being cast aside because of the "performance capture" thing, which never sat well with me.

The people don't know how to make Splinter Cell into a monetized money making machine so they're going to release yet another disaster and pretend they had no idea what the fans wanted and then have the series come to a catastrophic close so they can say "Oh well, people just don't like stealth anymore" even though that's far from the case.
    I think they know what the fans want (including conflicting things because we have old and new fans), but they want SC to be as big as they can make it. They're a business, so that's understandable, but as a fan, I miss my SC and want a new one. A real one. lol
    I'm sure they look at it as a downgrade, but I'd really like to see what a small, committed team could do. With Ubi's massive library of assets, they have a really solid starting point. Reuse animations - I don't care. Reuse sounds - I would actually like that (classic NVG sound ). Reuse models. Reuse code. If it's still Unreal, it's not that difficult to upgrade. Just make the game.
    Even I made a playable Metahuman "Sam" for UE4 in an afternoon. He can't do much yet aside from run around the environments I've made, but it was surprisingly easy to get to that point.

I'm aware it's a book, but since Double Agent, the books have started to become intertwined to a certain extent.
    This book description tells us everything we need to know about the next title... not that Ubisoft's work on their past several titles hasn't already.
    I'm not against expanding from the games (the early books were solid), but I hate change. It's uncomfortable when the familiar becomes unfamiliar, especially with this level of investment. Somewhere, though, there are clearly people who like this direction. Again, it's Ubi's IP - it's their choice, and all we can do is give our opinions and see what happens.