ploughman's Avatar Senior Member
    I was just watching the news and there was a story where a reported went in search of the remaining astronauts who'd walked on the Moon. It struck me that all that happenned over thirty years ago, I was a month old when Neil Armstrong first stepped from the Eagle on to lunar soil. At the same time UK and French engineers were building the first supersonic transport, now thirty years later Concorde's retired,scheduled airline flight is once again purely sub-sonic and the Apollo astronauts are moving on to a different heaven...somebody please, tell me there are still some heroic endeavours taking place in aerospace...

ploughman's Avatar Senior Member
    I was just watching the news and there was a story where a reported went in search of the remaining astronauts who'd walked on the Moon. It struck me that all that happenned over thirty years ago, I was a month old when Neil Armstrong first stepped from the Eagle on to lunar soil. At the same time UK and French engineers were building the first supersonic transport, now thirty years later Concorde's retired,scheduled airline flight is once again purely sub-sonic and the Apollo astronauts are moving on to a different heaven...somebody please, tell me there are still some heroic endeavours taking place in aerospace...

Arcadeace's Avatar Senior Member
    To my knowledge even landing men on the moon was not motivated for science as much as national prestige. Space exploration now requires strict financial considerations for more practical results. I think manned flight and exploration has reached limits in which remote vehicles will increasingly take over. The Hubble is a great example of a remote vehicle paying off. Increasingly, private enterprise will play a role in manned vehicles. Steve Fossett's non-stop flight around the world without refueling was a great achievement. And a few years ago a couple of guys from Europe went around the world in a hot air balloon

Nowadays there are no more heroes it seems, only Posers, of which prime time TV, magazines, newspapers and radio have an unfortunate glut.

just wait for the next big war.

then we`l get alot of heroes

fireman196988's Avatar Member
    fherathras,

I kinda disagree with your statement. I believe there are quite a few heros today if you have ties to certain communities. I'm a firefighter and ex-military and I know of quite a few heros in recent times. You have to know where to look.

With the way we get information today (internet) and the plethora of television channels, no one source garners a majority of people. I mean 20 years ago we had nowhere near the variety of TV channels that we do today and as such a large number of people were viewing the same take on any one event and could relate.

Society, especially American society, is very segmented and the generation gaps are even more pronounced than in the past unless those generations are involved in the same cliche <sp> or have similar intrests, ie computer flight sims.

I'm going to leave the political issues alone although they will alter a person's viepoint of who is considered a hero.

It's not that we don't have any heros today it's just that either; we don't know where to look or the majority of people are not informed via the same source and the inheirent prejudices.

Happy Glocking,

Fireman

Chuck_Older's Avatar Banned
    Depends on what you mean as a "hero"

More and more, a "hero" is someone who is monetarily successful.

My living hero is Raymond Bourque, NHL hall of fame defenseman. Incredibly successful in any endeavour he undertakes. Incredibly talented athlete, humble human being, good father, great role model and leader. Not a single scandal associated with his playing professional sports- how many pro athletes that are or were superstars can say THAT? Not too many. Bourque was a superstar of the first order. Strength, stamina, smarts, leadership, talent, skill. He had it all as a player, and that ability didn't come from playing hockey, it's obvious that it came from who he is.

My Dead heroes are Bruce Lee and Jimmy Clark. Both died at 32 years of age. I turned 33 last summer. It was odd thinking that two of my heroes died at the age I was currently at

fireman196988's Avatar Member
    How about SFC Paul Smith.

I believe he was an 12b (combat engineer) serving with the 3rd ID. I remember reading the AAR awhile back. He died defending his troopers when they stumbled onto an enemy platoon in a complex at Baghdad International Airport. He was just awarded Medal of Honor posthumously. His 11 year old son accepted it from President Bush.

Sorry chuck_older, but when I think of a hero I think of someone who has risked their life and often times sacrificed it. Maybe it's just semantics but your examples bring to my mind idols or mentors.

Happy Glocking,

Fireman

Monson74's Avatar Senior Member
    What was it a wise man said - a hero is just a lucky fool - or something like that? What about all the 'ordinary' people who go to school, graduate, work hard every day, raise their children & raise their voice for justice? Do you have to get on the news to be a hero? I think I know a lot of heroes but they'll never be known by the masses because they ARE the masses like most people. A hero is someone doing the best he/she can to be an honest & decent human being.

huggy87's Avatar Senior Member
    Hero is one of the most overused words today. The media wants to call everyone a hero nowadays. Every military member, every firefighter, every ambulance driver etc. is now labeled a hero regardless of the actions they may or may not have performed. Heck, my 2 year old watches a disney show every day called the "higgly town heroes". Last one I saw had the pizza delivery guy as a hero. The frickin pizza guy.

To me, real heroes are anyone who exhibits selfless bravery or determination. It could be the old lady who fights off a mugger, the surgeon who spends 12 hours trying to fix someone who by all accounts is unsalvageable, and countless other everyday examples. Simply wearing a uniform does not make one a hero.