Am i being scammed?

So i watch speed runs and have seen trackmania videos so thought id try it out, keep seeing "trackmania is free to play" but every attempt to find timed maps it seems to be behind a paywall?..... idm buying a game but not even being able to demo timed runs seems terrible. i tried the battle royal mode and i want to throw up in my own mouth.

Am i doing something wrong? where can i find timed maps?

you know what, i think its best to avoid activision XD im spending to much time troubleshooting on their products. if its not the ubisoft launcher not launching without me having to go into file explorer nd open that way ¬¬ then the game doesnt launch for no god damn reason so reinstall then i find the game i want to play hidden behind pay walls :| :| just wanted to try to beat times on the simple tracks. As ronny cray said, "waste of my ******g time, wankers" XD

What's available in starter access right now in Solo and Live tabs:
    - Solo - Summer 2021
    - Solo - Training
    - Live - Royal + Super Royal
    - Live - Ranked 3v3
    - Live - Arcade - Live Campaign
    - Live - Arcade - Arcade Program (playlist changes on a schedule)

What's not available:
    - Solo - Track of the day
    - Live - Cup of the day
    - Live - Events
    - Anything club related

I'm still rocking starter access, there's more hidden behind the paywall, most importantly WR ghosts, all the custom tracks and the map editor.
    I'm unhappy with this payment model aswell. I'm not buying it and occasionally writing about how bad it is. Welcome to the club brother.

The payment system is fine. The game needs long term support since it is supposed to keep getting updates, which means it needs to keep generating money. The free version is mostly a demo. But it actually gives many options, simple editor to try out editor. Current campaign maps, arcade for custom maps, matchmaking and royal. With Standard, which is only 10 euros a year, you unlock pretty much all custom content in terms of maps. so you can play whatever you like.

You need club for WR ghosts. That's my main Issue. That's pay 2 win. I can't support a pay 2 win version of trackmania. It used to be the best free game around.

Originally Posted by Fowst2010 Go to original post
    You need club for WR ghosts. That's my main Issue. That's pay 2 win. I can't support a pay 2 win version of trackmania. It used to be the best free game around.
    it's not "pay2win" . You should really read up what a pay2win system would actually be!

WR Ghosts are behind the club access because those are for people who really want to invest most of their time into this game and not just play it on occasion. Same with club skins: Why the need for a skin if you only play the game for a few days and never log in afterwards again?

Montetatil's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by fowst
    I have the club access and no, it's not a pay2win.. Looking at ghosts don't make you necessary better. furthermore, a lot of good players are qualified in competitions and don't have the club access

Why you are claiming wrong facts wherehas you don't even have bought the game nor used the ghosts??!
     1 people found this helpful

?

Originally Posted by Fowst2010 Go to original post
    I feel you are overstating the effectiveness of WR ghosts.

Trackmania is (mostly) a game of execution, not strategy. Seeing a WR ghost instead of finding a video online, or downloading it and looking at it in the replay editor, is primarily a difference in convenience.
    The timings / rythm that can be learnt from a ghost can be learnt from a video almost as quickly - you compare the WR to your best run, and then your best run to the run you're currently playing, set new pb, repeat.
    The line can be learnt just as quickly.

Really, you're not setting a pb often enough for that process to be untenable, becuase really you only have to do it a few times per map (on the later runs when you are already somewhat close to WR).

If you actually are playing enough maps for that process to be untenable (at least standard access), then you can play against a replay with play against replay" (iirc).

Well I might only play a couple weeks each season and that's just not worth it. They either gotta come up with some better payment system or they're gonna leave some customers very dissatisfied.
    Why don't you reintroduce planets as currency? Make it a little MTX where people can buy skins like a couch or toilet.