🛈 Announcement
Greetings! Watch Dogs forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game

I would love to see a WD1 remaster.

After playing Bloodlines I started thinking, it would be great to see a re-release of WD1 for the PS5 era. A new game with Aiden would also be great, but I doubt Ubi would do that. If they did though, maybe that stuff that got mentioned in Bloodlines about what Aiden was doing between the first game and Bloodlines would be a good place to start. Short of that, a remaster would be be a really good idea, new players who didn't play the first one would have a reason to try it and everyone else who liked WD1 in the first place would probably want to play it too. I think the plot for WD1 got overlooked by many because they were either mad about the E3 thing or they were perhaps too young to appreciate it back then. A remaster would give players overlooked it a chance to see just how good WD1 really is, and the DLC for it was great too which I think would obviously be included in a remaster.

I think Aiden is a great character and the morally grey nature of WD1 really tells a unique story. So many games and movies have a predictable happy ending but WD1 was bitter-sweet through and through and that was a really cool approach that I would love to see more of from this series.

What do you guys think?
     2 people found this helpful

I think hell yea. It would probably sell more then legion. Also if it with same graphics like legion gameplay improvements and same costumisatins. It would bee simple amazing to see and play all over again... Then it would be probably better from gta 5, and thats 100% shore, because even WD1 have more cool little things and details then WD Legion. And combined them in 1 it would be epic WD1 remaster.
     1 people found this helpful

secretzrus's Avatar Senior Member
    I'm always surprised to see someone showing love for Aiden these days...it's just weird because for the longest the media and people who played the game alike constantly trashed him. The general majority consensus was that he was a weak character personality-wise, that he was basically a walking talking piece of cardboard with a gun and a baton. The overall story of the game wasn't memorable because the main protagonist wasn't very memorable, either.

I don't think we need a WD1 remaster. Nostalgia is delusional.

I can see gaming starting to fall into the same trap that films fell into. It is no longer driven by creativity and new ideas, but relies on re makes, re masters, etc.

I've never thought of Aiden as 'weak......personality wise'. I think his obsessions took over his personality, and he always seemed driven. Remember when they tried to kidnap Jackson.

I wonder if they had a plan, the Development team. We'll try this recruit anyone concept, play with a team mentality; and in case some can't handle it, we'll throw in Aiden and Wrench like a security blanket.

I've always liked Aiden, but it does seem like more people have realized he's got a lot of depth over the years. Maybe people eventually went back for a second play through and picked up a lot more of the plot the second time through.

Obviously the word "need" never really applied to a remaster but nostalgia is delusional? That's just non-sense. You may not like the idea of remasters but there is nothing delusional about wanting one. WD1 was passed up by a lot of gamers because of the E3 visual downgrade. A remaster would allow people who passed on it because of that a chance revisit it. Not only that but the first one was a great game, the best in the series so far IMO. A remaster with a few little things added in to enhance the experience would be very welcome.

Im just going to say this... Mafia 1 game maybe not so perfect buz back in a day it whose amazing. And then when we got mafia 1 remaster version it whose weary good almost perfect. That game whose not long or maybe got some memorable boss. But it whose unique just the way it whose... That even whose better then mafia 3 game. So back then when we got to see WD 1 we all got crazy like its something so good that we never seen something like it. Maybe with remastered version it could be just that what we need. Of course they don't have to go by the book and they can always add or change little something to be better... And maybe even online would be even better then what he has now. But in the end its better for them to learn on they mistakes and make WD3 like combining all best things from this 3 games... And yea i think WD3 not 4 because legion is something totally different and is not WD3 same way gta have all that versions

When I say 'nostalgia is delusional', it applies to gaming and reality. People always look back and recollect something as being better than it was. WD1 & 2 were of their time.

Legion is WD3. Strangely enough although fiction, it shows what happens when 'nostalgia' emboldens traditionalists. They spend all their time looking backwards, trying desperately to re-create the past, or re-master it!

I think part of this nostalgia for WD1 & 2, is they were set in America.(As we know GTA was made by Brits. Have there been any definitive games set in modern America, made by Americans?)

I like the idea that the gaming world is mirroring what's happening in the real world because it's dynamic and relevant, and if the next WD's game is going to mean anything it has to be progressive and incorporate what's happening in the world of; power , surveillance, control, traditionalist views being challenged, big tech, etc.

You are arguing with yourself, this has nothing at all to do with nostalgia. It has to do with the fact that WD1 has a good plot that was overlooked because a lot of people were turned off by the graphical downgrade and now that we have new consoles the timing for a WD1 updated release that undoes some of the mistakes from the initial release is perfect. It would be a good financial decision for Ubisoft, IMO, because they don't have to make a whole new game but I think it would easily sell well enough to justify the work they would have to put into it. It would probably even get a lot of extra attention now because of what happened with the graphical downgrade back then and a lot of people who passed on it because of the graphical downgrade would probably be willing to try it now if the graphics were on par with what we would expect to see today.

But keep arguing with yourself about nostalgia if you want to. Watch Dogs 1 is only 7 years old, hardly enough time to get nostalgic about it. I'm not sure you properly understand what the word nostalgia means. You're just arguing against a remaster because you didn't like WD1, but that has nothing to do with nostalgia. Personally I could hardly care less that 1 and 2 are set in America, and I don't think anyone is nostalgic for 2. Not only is that game not old at all but it was also a major disappointment, and it reinforces my point about WD1 not getting a fair shake the first time around. WD1 got a lot of hate because of the graphics downgrade, not because the game was bad but people were annoyed by the bait and switch so they were generally negative about everything with the game and Ubisoft mistook that to mean the tone of WD1 was bad, and they drastically over-corrected with WD2 and made a game that felt like a cartoon, especially compared to the dark atmosphere of the first one.

You say "I like the idea that the gaming world is mirroring what's happening in the real world because it's dynamic and relevant, and if the next WD's game is going to mean anything it has to be progressive and incorporate what's happening in the world of; power , surveillance, control, traditionalist views being challenged, big tech, etc." but you don't follow that up with any meaningful point. I'm assuming you're trying to say you think WD3 did a good job of that while WD1 did not, and to that I would say you're just flat out wrong. WD1 actually felt more relevant to me. The premise is essentially the same, tech invading our lives to the point of being a real issue, but WD1 has a lot more depth. It actually feels like a much higher budget game. The graphics are worse and game play less refined, sure, but the cutscenes and story telling were clearly something they put a ton of effort into, way more than in Legion.

Honestly if you want to use the word delusional, I think you should use it on yourself because your opinion is vague and unfounded, and it doesn't sound like you even played WD1. It just sounds like you don't like the idea of games getting updated releases. While generally I think it's a lazy money grab in most cases, some remasters are done well and some games deserve it more than others. WD1 is one such game in my opinion, largely because of how the game was received with the graphical downgrade.

Originally Posted by loser_6 Go to original post
    You are arguing with yourself, this has nothing at all to do with nostalgia..
    You put forward an idea and asked us what we thought. I told you. You aren't addressing any of the valid points I made, just claiming I'm 'arguing with myself'.

You aren't putting forward any good arguments, only dismissing my good points and claiming I don't understand the English language( I know exactly what the words 'nostalgia' and 'delusional' mean).

Also you are claiming I didn't like WD1 because I have a different view on re-masters. Don't make assumptions.

You are also making many assumptions, about say WD2, which is based on your opinions. Not those of others.

What I'm saying is that WD1 reflected the espionage, surveillance, hacking, and drones usage of that time. Same with WD2. Same with Legion.

So I would expect WD4 to reflect the next stage in that. And I want to see new games with new ideas that reflect the time they are set.

Hilarious, same old BS. Someone puts forward an idea, and when people challenge that idea, they try to undermine them personally.

Originally Posted by gaqo421 Go to original post
    You put forward an idea and asked us what we thought. I told you. You aren't addressing any of the valid points I made, just claiming I'm 'arguing with myself'.

You aren't putting forward any good arguments, only dismissing my good points and claiming I don't understand the English language( I know exactly what the words 'nostalgia' and 'delusional' mean).

Also you are claiming I didn't like WD1 because I have a different view on re-masters. Don't make assumptions.

You are also making many assumptions, about say WD2, which is based on your opinions. Not those of others.

What I'm saying is that WD1 reflected the espionage, surveillance, hacking, and drones usage of that time. Same with WD2. Same with Legion.

So I would expect WD4 to reflect the next stage in that. And I want to see new games with new ideas that reflect the time they are set.

Hilarious, same old BS. Someone puts forward an idea, and when people challenge that idea, they try to undermine them personally.
    None of this is accurate, you did not respond to anything I said and if I bother to reply to this again I will just be repeating myself. You have no argument against the idea that you have conveyed beyond you just don't like the idea. OK, you don't like the idea noted. thanks.