Ok, I've wondered about this and it's been driving me nuts. I've done a search and have turned up zilch. So, I'll ask here...

Firstly, England used the metric system during the war, right? If so, how come some of the gauges on the Spitfires and the Hurricanes use the imperial system. Mainly, I see this in the speedometer, displying MPH instead of KPH. Were these gauges simply manufactured over here and shipped? What's the deal?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

berg417448's Avatar Senior Member
    Not sure they used metric. When I think about all of the RAF biographies I've read I'm pretty sure that all the speed and altitude references were in MPH and feet instead of metric.

Spitfire altimeter in feet:

http://warbirdsite.com/spitfirealtimeter.jpg

Really? I've always thought that Americans were the only ones who used the imperial system.

interesting...

It is called Imperial because the British invented it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_unit

vocatx's Avatar Senior Member
    If you fly Japanese aircraft, you will discover they used TWO measurement systems. On Japanese Navy aircraft, they used knots per hour for airspeed, and meters for altitude. IJA aircraft used kilometers per hour for airspeed, and meters for altitude.

Some US aircraft used knots, and others used miles per hour, but all use feet for altitude.

It can get confusing sometimes, especially if you are flying with someone who uses the speed bar instead of the aircraft instruments.

I think Britain and its Commonwealth used the imperial measurment system during WW2.

Originally posted by vocatx:
    If you fly Japanese aircraft, you will discover they used TWO measurement systems. On Japanese Navy aircraft, they used knots per hour for airspeed, and meters for altitude. IJA aircraft used kilometers per hour for airspeed, and meters for altitude.

Some US aircraft used knots, and others used miles per hour, but all use feet for altitude.

It can get confusing sometimes, especially if you are flying with someone who uses the speed bar instead of the aircraft instruments.
    but he could toggle the speedbar measurements

I knew they did at the time, but do they still? Not in aircraft, but in general.

IL2 is the first flight sim i've ever played. The speeedbar defaults to metric, and so i think im one of the few americans who prefers metric over imperial.

danjama's Avatar Senior Member
    Yes we still use feet and mph

Originally posted by Hashmark13:
    I knew they did at the time, but do they still? Not in aircraft, but in general.

IL2 is the first flight sim i've ever played. The speeedbar defaults to metric, and so i think im one of the few americans who prefers metric over imperial.
    I'm pretty sure that most everyone uses knots now for marine and for aviation purposes.