🛈 Announcement
Greetings! The Rocksmith forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game

Switching Platforms

Super stoked, got my invite today !!
    My biggest concern is you set your platform as PC with the beta invite (only option). Is it possible to eventually switch to a console after its available????
    Itís just my setup has been on PlayStation for all of the past versions of Rocksmith where I have the most room etc. Not sure about the capabilities of my PC too.
    Iíll do whatever it takes either way, just hoping to make life easier
    Apologies if this has been discussed.

The PC only thing is for the beta. More platforms will be available later. They haven't said what platforms will be available on the initial release date. Ubisoft is planning to release on Andriod, iOS, PlayStation, Xbox, Switch. Initially, your subscription is tied to the platform and not cross-platform. People asked about it and the developers said it was being looked into. They did not say about transferring platforms.

Unfortunately, we're not going to know much till it is a lot closer to the official release date.

Initial release is PC. I don't think you'll be able to switch platforms if say you subscribe to PC for a year but want to switch that subscription to another platform before that year is over. Of course you're free to subscribe on whatever platform is available at any time I just don't think you can move what you already paid for to a different platform.

Goooner1's Avatar Senior Member
    They really need to sort the cross platform sub. I can see no reason for not having it. You arenít buying the game, you arenít buying dlc, so itís not like the different platforms are losing out on a cut of anything.

You can for example get Netflix, Prime, Spotify, Disney+, Apple Music and loads of other subscriptions where you pay one sub and you can access it across any platform itís on. Why should this be different?

I wouldíve been up for a years sub right from release, but I wonít. I want to play it ASAP, but, I want to play it on my Xbox on the big screen, so Iím not going to sub for pc and then sub again ok Xbox.

I don't know how the licensing works (and neither do you presumably).

But you don't need two active games at ones right? Why not alternate between xbox and pc if that is what you want to do?

Originally Posted by Goooner1 Go to original post
    They really need to sort the cross platform sub. I can see no reason for not having it. You arenít buying the game, you arenít buying dlc, so itís not like the different platforms are losing out on a cut of anything.

You can for example get Netflix, Prime, Spotify, Disney+, Apple Music and loads of other subscriptions where you pay one sub and you can access it across any platform itís on. Why should this be different?

I wouldíve been up for a years sub right from release, but I wonít. I want to play it ASAP, but, I want to play it on my Xbox on the big screen, so Iím not going to sub for pc and then sub again ok Xbox.
    Unfortunately it takes cooperation with Sony and Microsoft which apparently is easier said than done. Not saying it will never happen but I don't think it's happening on launch.

Originally Posted by kami-kun Go to original post
    I don't know how the licensing works (and neither do you presumably).

But you don't need two active games at ones right? Why not alternate between xbox and pc if that is what you want to do?
    Thatís exactly what I want to do, but as I understand it, you need a separate sub for each device.

Originally Posted by TheJohnNewton Go to original post
    Unfortunately it takes cooperation with Sony and Microsoft which apparently is easier said than done. Not saying it will never happen but I don't think it's happening on launch.
    Iím definitely not expecting it at launch, otherwise Iím sure theyíd be shouting it from the rooftops.

Easier said than done maybe, but clearly not impossible, as per the examples I listed. If you want to go away from music/film streaming platforms, then more akin to RS+, one Fender Play sub will quite happily work on both my pc and iPad/iPhone, so itís clearly not beyond the realms of possibility.

With GamePass for instance, plenty of games are playable on both PC and Xbox.

Iím not saying I wonít subscribe at all, had it been a one sub fits all deal, I wouldíve signed up for a year on release. As it is, Iíll maybe sign up for a month at a time (or three months) depending how far away the console release is, then switch to Xbox if after that time I still feel it offers value for money, which I hope it will.

pedietz's Avatar Senior Member
    everyones hands are so deep. you cant buy kindle books on iphone because apple takes it cut. ridiculous.

So you will never get cross compatibility especially since everyone from the songwriter and singer and producer and ubisoft and apple/sony/microsoft gets there cutó per play.

So how do all those other things I’ve listed manage to have one account across multiple platforms?

So everyone gets a cut per play, whatever platform you play it on gets the cut, where’s the issue? There’s not one, otherwise how come I can have Spotify on my Windows pc, my Apple iPhone/iPad, my LG tv, my Sony PS, even in my car on whatever platform that works on, all with the one sub.

I can understand one user per sub, so multiple people can’t share a sub at the same time across multiple platforms, but one user on whatever one device at a time, really shouldn’t be an issue.

toymachinesh's Avatar Senior Member
    I imagine Sony is a big hold out on cross platform...