semajmarc87's Avatar Senior Member

Classic Splinter Cell game you likely NEVER PLAYED BEFORE available to play RIGHT NOW

Some of you may already know about this game. Since 2006, I've been trying to tell every Splinter Cell fan I meet about the old-gen version of Splinter Cell: Double Agent. Everyone says Double Agent was weak and glitchy. Right? WRONG!!! The PS2, Xbox, GameCube version is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAME than the PC, PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii version. Literally, it's a totally a 100% different game. It is essentially Chaos Theory 2.0. Old-gen Double Agent is MY FAVORITE Splinter Cell game. Yes, you read that correctly. If you haven't played it yet, there is literally an entire unplayed classic Splinter Cell game ready for you to play right now on PS2, Xbox and GameCube! Spread the word about this forgotten and criminally underrated game!

I really like that version, too. It used a lot from CT, but that's not a bad thing.

Also, my favorite bit of music is only in that version - the "Iceland Extract Theme Part 2 and 3". I remember playing through that section for the first time and it just seemed to fit so well with what was going on.

LuckyBide's Avatar Senior Member
    You guys are harsh with the next-gen version of Double Agent, haha. Sure it's badly optimized on PS3 and PC but it still remains a solid and great SC game imo. They tried something different and in my opinion it worked and remained faithful to the roots of the franchise. I just wish Ubi Shanghai had more time to develop the game and to better implement some of the new mechanics (swimming, the inverted rappel thanks to the winch, the glass cutter, the ultrasonic emitter, the ability to hide under a truck, the fingerprint scanner,...) in the level design in order to make them more organic and making them feel like real options.

Originally Posted by CoastalGirl Go to original post
    Also, my favorite bit of music is only in that version
    Only in that version ? Nothing from the next-gen OST ?
    I think both versions have great atmospheric and impressive tracks, my favorite one is definitely the New York Exploring theme : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6kD07wVQME
    Michael Mc Cann is a genius. The work he also made on Deus Ex is awesome.

Originally Posted by LuckyBide Go to original post
    You guys are harsh with the next-gen version of Double Agent, haha. Sure it's badly optimized on PS3 and PC but it still remains a solid and great SC game imo. They tried something different and in my opinion it worked and remained faithful to the roots of the franchise. I just wish Ubi Shanghai had more time to develop the game and to better implement some of the new mechanics (swimming, the inverted rappel thanks to the winch, the glass cutter, the ultrasonic emitter, the ability to hide under a truck, the fingerprint scanner,...) in the level design in order to make them more organic and making them feel like real options.
    lol It's not that I don't like the next-gen version, there were some nice additions and it's a pretty clean game overall. But that traffic light...ehhhhh.
    I did love (and totally abused) the ultrasonic emitter, though, and the other new gadgets/options were nice. The swimming was cool, too. I actually remember being so impressed when I realized you could dive off other ledges (not just the big swan dive). Once I saw it I just ran around the water diving...it was a cool animation.

Only in that version ? Nothing from the next-gen OST ?
    I think both versions have great atmospheric and impressive tracks, my favorite one is definitely the New York Exploring theme : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6kD07wVQME
    Michael Mc Cann is a genius. The work he also made on Deus Ex is awesome.
    I liked both! That Iceland track just had more impact for some reason. I'm not sure why they didn't use it in the next-gen version, too.

lol It's not that I don't like the next-gen version, there were some nice additions and it's a pretty clean game overall. But that traffic light...ehhhhh.
    I did love (and totally abused) the ultrasonic emitter, though, and the other new gadgets/options were nice. The swimming was cool, too. I actually remember being so impressed when I realized you could dive off other ledges (not just the big swan dive). Once I saw it I just ran around the water diving...it was a cool animation.
    Traffic light haha. That's a good name for it ! Yeah I don't know many people who liked that.
    The ultrasonic emitter was cool indeed. And I see so much potential with the winch and the glass cutter, I wish they had been better introduced and used.
    And the amount of aniamtions they did for the next-gen version is amazing, Not only for all the types of takedowns, but for the swimming animations, the inverted rappel, crawling under a truck and so many other ones. They really did a great job there.

I liked both! That Iceland track just had more impact for some reason. I'm not sure why they didn't use it in the next-gen version, too.
    Yeah they used different variations of themes for each mission. Anyway the development of these two different versions will remain a mystery for many reasons and for a long time ^^
    I recently came accross this youtube channel, he gathers all versions and remixes them. Here's an exemple with Iceland themes : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDJpLR8bvXQ

Traffic light haha. That's a good name for it ! Yeah I don't know many people who liked that.
    The ultrasonic emitter was cool indeed. And I see so much potential with the winch and the glass cutter, I wish they had been better introduced and used.
    And the amount of aniamtions they did for the next-gen version is amazing, Not only for all the types of takedowns, but for the swimming animations, the inverted rappel, crawling under a truck and so many other ones. They really did a great job there.
    They were cool additions but there wasn't much focus on them. I stumbled upon that dive animation by accident, and there weren't many opportunities to use the glass cutter. I remember one that might have been on an alternate path in Kinshasa (maybe? It's been so long... lol), but not many others. They almost felt more like special things in a particular mission than new standard options.

I honestly think they didn't have time to properly introduce them to the player and integrate them in a smart and interesting way in the environments.
    For which I know the glass cutter is only used once in Kinshasa as you mentioned. But there's no way they lost development time just for that. I'll always think that this game has been rushed by Microsoft in order to get a powerful franchise supporting the new power of the Xbox360 before the release of PS3. And that's why the game is polished on 360 but not on other platforms.

Supposedly, Double Agent was rushed out the door because of MGS4's E3 2005 reveal putting pressure on them despite the game not coming until all the way into 2008. They wanted to capitalize on the sales of being the first to release. Not sure how much that is true, we have no idea how Double Agent's development cycle was. I highly doubt Shanghai started making Double Agent in 2004 similar to Chaos Theory starting in 2003, giving it two years of development. I assume all development started after Chaos Theory, and most of the early marketing material is the Ubisoft Montreal version of the game, it seem like was the more finished version early on.

I agree with Double Agent v1 getting way too much hate, however the only proper way to play the game is the Xbox 360 version. The Xbox Series X is definitely the best way to play that game, as it can run at a consistent 30 frames per second, unlike the 360 dropping down to the 15 on Sea of Okhotsk's snow storm and many other areas.

The PC version feels like some unreleased developer build we aren't supposed to have. There are much bigger flaws than the game crashing and the much inferior graphics compared to Xbox 360, the AI does not function correctly at all for the majority of the game.

PS3 is superior to PC I would say just because the AI can function however they downgraded even level design on top of horrible performance and inferior graphics too. Shanghai is divided into 2 levels with a loading zone and force you to use the elevator to get to the upper floors in the hotel. JBA Part 1 has no rooftop section and lazily put the objective in the tunnel that you use to get to the rooftops on Xbox 360.

I honestly think they didn't have time to properly introduce them to the player and integrate them in a smart and interesting way in the environments.
    For which I know the glass cutter is only used once in Kinshasa as you mentioned. But there's no way they lost development time just for that. I'll always think that this game has been rushed by Microsoft in order to get a powerful franchise supporting the new power of the Xbox360 before the release of PS3. And that's why the game is polished on 360 but not on other platforms.
    All things considered it had some good stuff, for sure, but the light/sound meter thing, and also, so much daylight...I don't like daylight.

Yeah, we stealth players seem to have a problem with daylight. We are like vampires