stdape's Avatar Senior Member

CQC Takedowns.

I have seen some great takedowns lately, but have no choice in which I want. Mainly it is the standard takes too long stab stab stab, which can result in being spotted.
    Would love to have a choice on which to do.

Originally Posted by stdape Go to original post
    I have seen some great takedowns lately, but have no choice in which I want. Mainly it is the standard takes too long stab stab stab, which can result in being spotted.
    Would love to have a choice on which to do.
    It's entirely up to you, but I also would like to choose which animations my character does.

I read somewhere that it depends on the knife you are using and even though I did witness 2 different animations, I couldn't be bothered to try ALL of the different knives to see which one does what.

I fully understand eye candy Du Jour but for those of us that like to play a shooting game, there should be an option that can stop the animation before it even starts or at any moment in time after it starts, there is only so many times I can watch the same crap over and over again.
     1 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by FcAc-No-Moe Go to original post
    I read somewhere that it depends on the knife you are using and even though I did witness 2 different animations, I couldn't be bothered to try ALL of the different knives to see which one does what.

I fully understand eye candy Du Jour but for those of us that like to play a shooting game, there should be an option that can stop the animation before it even starts or at any moment in time after it starts, there is only so many times I can watch the same crap over and over again.
    The animations aren't tied to specific knives, just the type of knife. So there is one set of animations for the straight blades, and separate set of animations for Karambit style knives. Ideally they could have added more CQC weapon with their own unique set of animations, like a Hatchet, Khukri or machete.

Virtual-Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    And don’t the take down animations depend on your stance and elevation differences between you and the victim?

Originally Posted by Megalodon26 Go to original post
    The animations aren't tied to specific knives, just the type of knife. So there is one set of animations for the straight blades, and separate set of animations for Karambit style knives...
    In addition to this, each animation is also tied to a specific posture or angle that you attack from.
    There are a lot of separate attack animations, but since most of a players CQC happens with enemies in the crouched or standing front to front, you see the same animation dozens of times before you fumble or elaborately setup a different CQC scenario.

They used the prolonged take down animations to try and force the "cool" factor. I would much rather see those only rarely and have the primary animation be a "weapon bash" of sorts. Something much less of a traveling knife salesman.

Yes, there is a whole gambit of criteria, that determines which animation gets triggered, Style of blade, in combat vs out of combat, gradient of the ground and your position in relation to the enemy on a hill.

Personally, I wish they would eliminate the gradient criteria at least, since the vast majority of compounds are paved or located on relatively flat ground. So the player only gets to experience a handful of these take downs, on a regular basis.

Steven527's Avatar Senior Member
    I just shoot them. Well I did when I still played. Interestingly I see more animations in Wildlands, they more often use a weapon, either primary or sidearm. There is one with a swift kick to the jewels and they are all faster then BP.

ArgimonEd's Avatar Senior Member
    I remember what Jocko said about people saying a SF/Navy Seal has no business knowing martial arts.
    Because they are in a team so full of dudes with rifles and pistols, that learning hand to hand is stupid.
    Then he said the following:
    What people expect me to do with civilians that are non compliant? Shoot them? Yadda yadda...
    I've seen a technique, where you would hit someone with the muzzle of your rifle, in theory is such a small surface area, hitting with so much force that the person has to go down, right?
    Except that once you hit him, and he doesn't go down, what do you do? You hit him again, and again, and again until he drops.
    And these hits, they cut, nowyou have someone completely banged up.

Not his exact words, but pay attention to the part that he mentions that when it involves CQC, the person never goes down as you expect.
    Jesus I already saw someone shot in the heart, return fire and run a couple of blocks, if you imagine you are going to slit someone's throat and they will not engage you or at least try to alert others, you have a misconception of how things are in reality.
    I know it's a video game, but I find it puzzling, we have so many threads complaining about the lack of realist, the lack of gritty, anxiety, feeling under pressure and hunted.
    And the one thing they did it right, that produces this realism, this pressure, this uncertainty, this gritty feeling and the same people complaining about the lack of these stuff, are the ones complaining about the take down animations.
    I'm with everyone when we are complaining about something done wrong, but complaining for the sake of complaining or just because hating is the new hot thing....That's just mental

stdape's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Virtual-Chris Go to original post
    And don’t the take down animations depend on your stance and elevation differences between you and the victim?
    Chris that is what I thought, but I hid in a bush attracted the Enemy but the kills varied even though same spot, stance. Good thing Enemies were killed in a Bush, so out of sight, of next victim to visit . Still good fertiliser for the Bush lol