Originally Posted by Kean_1 Go to original post
    Insurgency Sandstorm: This one has been delayed on more than one occasion for console but is still slated to come out at some point.

Hel Let loose: This one is also slated for release this year although we have no firm date.

Six Days in Fallujah: A release date of December 2021 has been announced.

Zero Six: The game was in early alpha not long ago and still is as far as I know. There is no release time frame although they have said they plan to release for PC first and then console.

While not what I would consider a direct comparison to the old Clancy games, the above titles embrace more of the aspects I prefer. They are just some of the ones I'm looking forward to but I'd say Zero Six will likely be more inline with GR being third person and is said to have a campaign. .....but it will be much more hardcore.
    Much appreciated, thanks. I'll have to check out some gameplay videos on YouTube, and see those games are worth purchasing a next gen console to play. I've been holding off trying to get one due to the lack of interesting titles.

you can already play these titles on PC, do yourself a favour and skip the consoles and buy yourself a decent PC, more money but you wont regret it.
     3 people found this helpful

Kean_1's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Devin82 Go to original post
    Much appreciated, thanks. I'll have to check out some gameplay videos on YouTube, and see those games are worth purchasing a next gen console to play. I've been holding off trying to get one due to the lack of interesting titles.
    Just note that you may not need a next gen console to play some of these. I have friends that wanted a PS5 but are still playing on their PS4 simply due to a lack of supply. I'm retired so I have a lot more flexibility in that regard to jump on stock when it hits.

Originally Posted by olly-c Go to original post
    you can already play these titles on PC, do yourself a favour and skip the consoles and buy yourself a decent PC, more money but you wont regret it.
    That's not what he's asking. Besides, some folks simply prefer console over PC for gaming. .....me being one of them.

I was gaming on PCs and consoles since the 80s. ....late 70s if I count my Bally Arcade. I started exclusively building my own PCs in the 90s until I got tired of it. My last machine was in need of an upgrade so I switched to a PS3 and couldn't be any happier. 7+ year product cycles until the next gen came out. .....no upgrading, etc.

I like the convenience of it all especially since I can just plop down on my couch in front of my 65" TV, quickly start it up and get playing, stream shows and so on. I have zero interest getting back into PC gaming to be honest. I now just use my laptops and my phone for personal business, etc.

.....so no, getting a gaming PC wouldn't be doing anyone like me any favors as I've been down the road myself and already switched.

"my last pc was in need of an upgrade so i switched to a ps3 and couldnt be happier" sure if your pc was rocking 90s hardware but thats an opinion that would be in the minority as even a middling gaming pc could thrash a PS3 even at time of release and not be much of a price difference. And i was replying to what you said about upcoming console games not OP
     1 people found this helpful

I thought about buying a gaming PC back when there were different versions of the games on console and PC, but it was only for that reason; the computer I own now is sufficient for playing the older games of course, so I don't feel the need anymore. Plus I like using a controller, and not having to worry about upgrading for a while between console cycles. I guess that gets a little tricky when you factor in the upgraded versions of consoles within a generation, but like Kean 1, I guess I just prefer it. Either way, I don't mean to take the thread off topic. Thanks for the suggestion, it's something I had considered before.

Steven527's Avatar Senior Member
    I'm retired
    Lucky b@stard. I'll be joining you in exactly 2 weeks.

Originally Posted by Steven527 Go to original post
    Lucky Bastid, I'll be joining you in ... what are the odds on a person winning the lotto?

It can be quite boring at times. I've been retired for 9 years now, and thank God I'm a gamer, because you can only surf the net and watch so much TV, before you go numb.

Keltimus's Avatar Senior Member

Zero Six: The game was in early alpha not long ago and still is as far as I know. There is no release time frame although they have said they plan to release for PC first and then console.

I'm no longer confident about this title. At least, not in regards to releasing any time soon. It was announced early 2020 and it appears the developers there are taking quite a bit of time. We've only seen a few stills and gifs over the course of the year. I don't mind at all if they take all the time they need to release the game right. It could come 2022/23, or maybe a few years more depending on the scale of the game. Wildlands took 5 years and we didn't see any trailer for it until 2 years prior to release. After that we got to see gameplay footage. This may be something to expect in regards to Zero Six.

Kean_1's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by olly-c Go to original post
    "my last pc was in need of an upgrade so i switched to a ps3 and couldnt be happier"

sure if your pc was rocking 90s hardware but thats an opinion that would be in the minority as even a middling gaming pc could thrash a PS3 even at time of release and not be much of a price difference. And i was replying to what you said about upcoming console games not OP
    What's the confusion? Your arguing a point I never brought up and ignoring the rest. If you're happy gaming on PC, great. .....I have zero interest in changing your mind on that. Just saying that I've been there, done that and since I switched to console, I have no regrets except for the lack of simulators and more milsim-like titles which seems will be changing soon. It's just far more convenient for me on many levels especially now with the PS5. ....and like Devin, I currently have no interest in going back.

Originally Posted by Devin82 Go to original post
    I thought about buying a gaming PC back when there were different versions of the games on console and PC, but it was only for that reason; the computer I own now is sufficient for playing the older games of course, so I don't feel the need anymore. Plus I like using a controller, and not having to worry about upgrading for a while between console cycles. I guess that gets a little tricky when you factor in the upgraded versions of consoles within a generation, but like Kean 1, I guess I just prefer it. Either way, I don't mean to take the thread off topic. Thanks for the suggestion, it's something I had considered before.
    The thing is, the benchmark was always changing with PC and I found myself upgrading something every 2-3 years or so trying my best to future-proof myself. With PC, technology is ever evolving so the benchmark keeps moving not only for hardware but also for the games that are released which take advantage of it. With console, the games that are released are optimized for the system we have.

Yes, it's a restriction but also a guarantee of sorts that your system will always run what gets released for 7+ years. ....but that doesn't mean games are stagnant as they always improve with time over the course of the consoles life span. ....and again, I like the fact that I can grab my controller, instantly start up my console, stream shows / movies or play a game on my couch in front of my 65" TV.

As for the upgraded versions of consoles (e.g. PS4 Pro), there simply wasn't a significant enough difference in performance to entice me to upgrade from my original PS4. As long as it continues like that (which I see no reason it shouldn't), it's really not a factor IMO.

btw, if you're into more milsim-like titles, you may want to look into DayZ. ....although I'd wait to get a PS5 first. The game is still buggy but really fun if you're into that kind of genre.

Originally Posted by FcAc-No-Moe Go to original post
    Lucky Bastid, I'll be joining you in ... what are the odds on a person winning the lotto?

Originally Posted by Megalodon26 Go to original post
    It can be quite boring at times. I've been retired for 9 years now, and thank God I'm a gamer, because you can only surf the net and watch so much TV, before you go numb.
    Yeah, not really what I had planned (retirement) especially at my age (50's) but it is what it is. After 30 years at my last job I really wasn't looking forward to starting over. .....but we made some life changing choices for the better of the family and it's working out way better than we expected. .....health issues also caught up with me so it's a plus that I'm not pressured to juggle a career while dealing with them.

.....and yeah, huge shock going from working so long to full stop. Routines are important and while I love gaming, I keep that activity to evenings as I always have. As I've been on the mend I have been doing more projects, etc. around the house and really want to get back into welding things I can sell. ......the side money is always good but more of the activity / purpose.