🛈 Announcement
Greetings! The Rocksmith forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game

No Instrument Audio

Hey All!

I've been scouring the internet to a solution to this issue and have had zero luck so far. I'm running Rocksmith on a Windows 10 PC with a Real Tone cable. In the game, I get no audio from the instrument, but I do get background music and sound effects. I CAN get sound by turning up the gain in the system settings, but it is still very quiet and incredibly distorted. I've tried to put an exhaustive list below of all steps I have taken:

- Multiple instruments (both passive and active pickups) that work with an Amp.
    - Changing USB ports
    - Running as Admin
    - Running in Win7 Compatibility mode
    - Ensuring microphone exclusivity
    - Adjusting sound and microphone settings to 48000
    - Adjusting .ini file
    - Fresh installation of software
    - Factory reset of Windows
    - Separate PCs
    - Windows shows activity from Real Tone cable
    - Updating Driver Software

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been dealing with this issue for the last couple of years, giving up trying to fix it each time. I would REALLY like to get back into playing. If there's anything else I can try, please let me know!

Thank you!

pedietz's Avatar Senior Member
    You granted rocksmith access permission to listen to your microphone?
    "microphone privacy" in the search bar
    "Allow desktop apps to access your microphone"

And in "sound settings" in the Input section, you see the bar go up if you play your instrument really hard?

You've tried calibrate in the rocksmith game to boost gain levels?

Hey there! Thank you for the response!

Yes, microphone privacy is set up properly. I do get connection. Actually, calibration and tuning both work, I'm just missing the sound output from Rocksmith.

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    What audio playback device are you using?

Is it set to be the default audio playback device?

Is it set to stereo, 16 bit, 48 khz?

So just extremely low volume?

Can you play that guitar ok with another audio cable into an amp? To rule out electronics or 9v batttery if your guitar is passive?

if you softly tap a screwdriver head onto each pickup can you hear the loud spark?
    How about in the game in the main menu?

I'm using the default audio playback - which is the only device I have available; set to 16 bit 48khz.

I have tested with both passive and active basses, all of which work perfectly fine through an amp. No sound in the game in any location, aside from in tuning but ONLY IF I have cranked the gain all the way up, in which case its still VERY quite and incredibly distorted.

try pulling the cable apart at the middle connector and replugging it back together./ Maybe its loose.

Its the 2 inch cylinder shape with the line down the middle next to the usb plug.

I have also tried that with no luck, unfortunately.

Ubi-Ginge's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Hi poeboy91!
    Sorry for our delay in replying.
    Are you still experiencing this same problem?

Hey there! Yes I am. I have exhausted everything i can think if including purchasing a new cable and the issue still occurs across multiple PCs and multiple guitars. I'm at a total loss.