🛈 Announcement
Greetings! The Division forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game

Possible fix for some (if not all) crash related issues on DX12

Greetings.

I know what you're thinking , another one of these "fixes" , but hear me out. I have a escalated case running with Ubi about Division 2 crashing for me (normally at least 2-3 times per hour) on DX12 mode. I did some digging, and trying out stuff, and I have tried all the fixes and suggestions on this forum , except this one. And for now, my game has been completely stable for at least 6 hours straight.

When the game starts, easyanticheat launches. Never mind changing priority or affinities. that won't do you any good. What seems , for now , to have completely fixed my crashing issues (image freezes, can't close the game, only a hard reset works , either and/or the game switches to windowed state and locks up the entire pc) , is to wait until easyanticheat finishes loading, and when you're in the main menu of the game , go to windows services (services.msc in start menu), and completely STOP the easyanticheat service that remains running in the background. You'll have to do this every time you start. This also has increased the performance of the game somewhat.

Disclaimer : This *seems* to work for me. I cannot gaurantee it will help you , or with your problem. But so far, this is the only "fix" that I have found that actually does seem to work. I don't know if its allowed to stop the easyanticheat service after the game has loaded, but i'm sure Ubi will shine in on this eventually.

If this works.. please rate up this topic, because it would help a lot of people. If/when my game will start to crash again i'll let you guys know.
    Ubi, if this works, please contact the creators of this anticheat program because there is something seriously wrong in their software.

- Edit : another 60+ minutes without a crash. The game used to crash 2-3 times per hour before this.

- edit 2 : 10-12 hours in the game. No issues whatsoever.
     1 people found this helpful

RAGE_THERAPY's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by fredspekvet Go to original post
    Greetings.

I know what you're thinking , another one of these "fixes" , but hear me out. I have a escalated case running with Ubi about Division 2 crashing for me (normally at least 2-3 times per hour) on DX12 mode. I did some digging, and trying out stuff, and I have tried all the fixes and suggestions on this forum , except this one. And for now, my game has been completely stable for at least 6 hours straight.

When the game starts, easyanticheat launches. Never mind changing priority or affinities. that won't do you any good. What seems , for now , to have completely fixed my crashing issues (image freezes, can't close the game, only a hard reset works , either and/or the game switches to windowed state and locks up the entire pc) , is to wait until easyanticheat finishes loading, and when you're in the main menu of the game , go to windows services (services.msc in start menu), and completely STOP the easyanticheat service that remains running in the background. You'll have to do this every time you start. This also has increased the performance of the game somewhat.

Disclaimer : This *seems* to work for me. I cannot gaurantee it will help you , or with your problem. But so far, this is the only "fix" that I have found that actually does seem to work. I don't know if its allowed to stop the easyanticheat service after the game has loaded, but i'm sure Ubi will shine in on this eventually.

If this works.. please rate up this topic, because it would help a lot of people. If/when my game will start to crash again i'll let you guys know.
    Ubi, if this works, please contact the creators of this anticheat program because there is something seriously wrong in their software.

- Edit : another 60+ minutes without a crash. The game used to crash 2-3 times per hour before this.
    This potential solution didn't work for me. Crashed within an hour for me. The game crashes/freeze continue to be random. I can run multiple sessions up to 2hrs long without issue one day and then have multiple freezes at random lengths of time the next.

Originally Posted by RAGE_THERAPY Go to original post
    This potential solution didn't work for me. Crashed within an hour for me. The game crashes/freeze continue to be random. I can run multiple sessions up to 2hrs long without issue one day and then have multiple freezes at random lengths of time the next.
    Too bad. Are you sure you disabled the entire service of the anticheat software?

Originally Posted by fredspekvet Go to original post
    Too bad. Are you sure you disabled the entire service of the anticheat software?
    Yes, well familiar with the Task Manager and how to stop and/or kill a process. I tried it for a second session and was good for 1 and 1/2hours before the freeze occured. Really no different than other proposed fixes. What I've called the placebo effect. You think you have a fix because you get several crash-free sessions and then suddenly you get a freeze.

I truly believe this is something only Ubisoft and Massive Entertainment can fix. Prior to TU12.1 the game was significantly more stable.
     2 people found this helpful

Sorry to hear that. However, in my case, going from 2-3 crashes each hour to none for (now) 6 ish hours is hardly a placebo effect. My "fix" might still help someone. Let's hope it does

peppermintl2k5's Avatar Junior Member
    tl;dr - this fix is definitely worth a go.

I posted in the main support thread about my recent freezes/crashes. I'm a new player taking his first Div 2 character through the campaign. The game was rock solid until I got to around level 21-22 then it started freezing every hour or two. No accompanying message and the only option being to restart or sign out of Windows - I couldn't end the frozen Div 2 task in that active session.

My attempt to resolve before my session tonight involved restoring my CPU and GPU to stock settings and a full DDU uninstall and fresh reinstall of my GPU driver. The game crashed after about 90mins. I had planned to try playing with dynamic res and a fps cap next but decided to give this workaround a go first. I made sure I put the game through its paces. As per the OP it seems to run a bit better for me (since the crashes started I'd get a few stutters before it would freeze) and I was good for over two hours this time. I'll go again tomorrow and if I get throgh the session without a freeze I'll be back to sing this workaround's praises some more.

Ubi-Swaggins's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Hey fredspekvet,

Thank you for sharing your workaround for this issue.

This is something the team are looking into further at this time. Once we have more information to share we will do so.

Thank you for your continued patience.

Back to confirm no freezing for my entire 3.5 hour session tonight. I ran services.msc after the Div 2 main menu loaded, stopped the Easy Anti Cheat service and ran the game as per the OP. This definitely works for me. Very glad I read your workaround, fredspekvet. Many thanks.

I've since read Easy Anti Cheat can get corrupted and require a repair/reinstall. This might be consistent with me not getting any freezes/crashes during my first 25 hours with the game. I'll run an EAC repair and for tomorrow's session I'll let it load and see whether it's stable.

Originally Posted by peppermintl2k5 Go to original post
    Back to confirm no freezing for my entire 3.5 hour session tonight. I ran services.msc after the Div 2 main menu loaded, stopped the Easy Anti Cheat service and ran the game as per the OP. This definitely works for me. Very glad I read your workaround, fredspekvet. Many thanks.

I've since read Easy Anti Cheat can get corrupted and require a repair/reinstall. This might be consistent with me not getting any freezes/crashes during my first 25 hours with the game. I'll run an EAC repair and for tomorrow's session I'll let it load and see whether it's stable.
    Glad to hear this fix is working for you. I attempted again for my 3rd session and had a freeze 50mins in.

UPDATE:

So after the freeze above I ran the EasyAntiCheat repair. Then I launched The Division 2, waited for the menu screen, stopped the EAC on the services tab and had a clean 3hr session.

I've now completed another clean 2 & 1/2hr session, repeating the steps above. Not sure if I'll need to repair EAC each time, but I'll continue to test and update.

This is starting to look like there is a potential issue with easyanticheat. I'm happy for anyone I have helped. I can also report no more crashes after playing for 14-16 hours.

However, for reasons yet unknown, ubi has recommended not to disable the service as "this may cause further problems down the line", I have asked for clarification on this, but I have yet to see a reply as to what they mean, precisely. Since I am a solo player. However, disabling the service is of course at everyone's own risk. I still run the game without, and it has worked miracles.

So, unfortunately for me I'm back to an in-game freeze the last two sessions - even using the EasyAntiCheat proposed fix. After two clean play sessions, I've just had a freeze 2 hours in and lastly 25mins into the game. I'm glad that it seems to work for some, but I guess that I'll be waiting for the DEVs to actually get this resolved at some point. Super frustrating both with the issue and the lack of communication in regards to any internal progress at Ubisoft and Massive.

but i'm sure Ubi will shine in on this eventually.
    Yup, been telling that to myself for 2 years now.

Originally Posted by Aranorde Go to original post
    Yup, been telling that to myself for 2 years now.
    I meant on the exact quesiton why I am not allowed to disable the EAC service , and because of what they said could happen if I did.

The Ubi rep from my support call said to def continue stopping the EAC service if it works.

Meanwhile I let the EAC service run for my session just now after I'd run its repair utility. I had a three hour session with no interruptions. Either way it's increasingly clear my freezing was down to EAC.

The Ubi rep from my support call said to def continue stopping the EAC service if it works.

Meanwhile I let the EAC service run for my session just now after I'd run its repair utility. I had a three hour session with no interruptions. Either way it's increasingly clear my freezing was down to EAC.
    Really? they said that? wow. seems they don't even follow the same guidelines then. I suppose i'm fine then

Quoting from my support call:

Hello peppermintl2k5

Thank you for contacting support.

Thank you for the information on the Easy Anti Cheat. I would say to keep that disabled if the issue did not happen.

If the freezing does seem to happen please complete these steps though.
    The rest of the entry goes on to list known steps such as updating DirectX, .NET framework, C++ redistributables, etc.

Updating to say I played a session again with the service runnnig last night and had a freeze just over three hours in. Will run subsequent sessions with it stopped now.

Updating to say I played a session again with the service runnnig last night and had a freeze just over three hours in. Will run subsequent sessions with it stopped now.
    Thank you for the update! I have also an update to make. After reading peppermintl2k5's comment, about the Ubi rep saying something completely different from mine (stopping the eac service, yay or nay) , I reopened my case to ask for clarification.

On a sidenote, I am happy to report 20+ hours in without a single crash.

Sad to report my game froze at the 3 hour mark just now after I'd stopped the easyanticheat service. The way it freezes is so annoying in that I can't get an app in the foreground. I wanted to make sure my easyanticheat service was still off (on the off chance it might've restarted itself). My PC is still responsive but with no way to get an app in front of the frozen Div 2 all I can do is restart.

Sad to report my game froze at the 3 hour mark just now after I'd stopped the easyanticheat service. The way it freezes is so annoying in that I can't get an app in the foreground. I wanted to make sure my easyanticheat service was still off (on the off chance it might've restarted itself). My PC is still responsive but with no way to get an app in front of the frozen Div 2 all I can do is restart.
    Sorry to hear you are part of the club in regards to the game freeze, I had a clean 4 1/2 hour session without easyanticheat stopped. There really is no consistency as to what causes the freeze, as I've literally tried everything under the sun in terms of potential user fixes.

Sadly, the game crashes /freezes again for me... And again, coincides with a global event (Guardian)...

Paying attention to Easy Anti Cheat has still helped me. Prior to attending to the EAC service either by stopping or repairing I was freezing every 60-90 mins. With the service stopped or repaired I haven't had a freeze inside 3 hours. Yesterday I performed the known troubleshooting step of uninstalling and reinstalling Microsoft C++ redistributables. I didn't have a crash during my 3.5 hour session last night however the session had some forced intermissions in the form of a few Delta03 errors.

You can get Task Manager in front of the frozen Division 2 screen. Just open Task Manager, go to the Options tab, Enable Always on Top. Now the next time The Division 2 freezes, hit the CTRL-ALT-DEL or CTRL-SHIFT-ESC keys to bring up Task Manager and it should be on top/in front of the frozen Division screen.

Devs should be fixing this issue, not us. We bought the game we expect it to work as intended. Seems like 90% of Ubisoft games have problems these days. This is why the AAA gaming industry sucks today.
     2 people found this helpful

So, ubi , any updates?

Originally Posted by Ubi-Swaggins Go to original post

This is something the team are looking into further at this time. Once we have more information to share we will do so.

You've been telling us the same ******** for 4 months. Should we still believe you ?! Give us some real news. So that we can believe you.

But it definitely won't go on like this.

Originally Posted by RAGE_THERAPY Go to original post
    Sorry to hear you are part of the club in regards to the game freeze, I had a clean 4 1/2 hour session without easyanticheat stopped. There really is no consistency as to what causes the freeze, as I've literally tried everything under the sun in terms of potential user fixes.
    Hi mate I posted below in the big crash thread just now. Not sure if you've given this one a go. I've not had a freeze for days. I may well get one down the road but for now I'm touching wood and not complaining. Between giving attention to EAC and now C++ redistributables this delicate game appears to be running stable for me.

I know mileage may vary from case to case but will add here that I recently refreshed Microsoft C++ Redistributables which is a known Ubi support troubleshooting step to resolve crashes/freezes and it appears to have worked for me. No dx12 freezes for my past few 3+ hour sessions. If you haven't tried this I recommend giving it a shot. See below for text from my support call with updated URLs to required files (as some of the previous old links were dead). Reminder if you're runnnig 64 bit Windows you need to install both the _x86 and _x64 files. Uninstall old installations first.

Hello peppermintl2k5

Thank you for contacting Ubisoft Customer Support.

We apologize for the confusion on that. Here are the updated URLs as requested.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=26999

(Choose both vcredist_x86.exe and vcredist_x64.exe while downloading, do not choose vcredist_ia64.exe unless you develop software with this module)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2012

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=30679

Note: (Choose both VSU_4\vcredist_x64.exe and VSU_4\vcredist_x86.exe while downloading, do not choose VSU4\vcredist_arm.exe unless you develop software with this module)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2013

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...b-8da6cfdf4f10

Note: Please install the x64 and x86 files in your language your computer is installed in from the list above. Ensure you pick the x64 version of your language, download and install, then chose the x86 version from the list as well in your language, download and install.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019

x86: https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x86.exe

x64: https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

Please let us know if you run into any other issues once completing the requested steps.

Hi mate I posted below in the big crash thread just now. Not sure if you've given this one a go. I've not had a freeze for days. I may well get one down the road but for now I'm touching wood and not complaining. Between giving attention to EAC and now C++ redistributables this delicate game appears to be running stable for me.
    Yep, definitely done this. As I've mentioned previously everything is almost like the lotto. I had clean sessions for hours upon hours yesterday and now 30 mins in a freeze. Glad to hear that you seem to be getting to a stable place but, I'm not there yet. I was running the Raid last night and two other mates had freezes or crash to desktop during the session - while I had no issue.

Ubi-Redbeard's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Thanks for the updates on this thread, folks.

Regretfully, we have no further information to share regarding this issue at present.

This actually being worked on or just dumped in the oh well too hard basket? Seems to me this has been a recurring issue since the game was launched. Very poor on behalf of Ubisoft - will the new Division franchise game be playable in development now, or will it be unplayable - plagued by constant freezes/crashes.

This is not an issue with my computer, it specifically occurs with this game each time I attempt to play it. How about you provide us with some in game store premium credit, as Ubisoft is hell bent on creating cosmetics, all useless to as as the core mechanics of the game doesn't even work!!!

At this point - I'm questioning why I should purchase another Ubisoft developed game ever again and would like to hear why I should from Ubisoft

man, this game and this company are becoming really annoying, day by day. In the last 4-5 months I have played less and less, to the point where I will totally close my Ubisoft account. Been looking around, no fixes, been looking more around, other games have the same issues. At this point, pirating those games, seems an easy way to enjoy at least a single player experience, and donate the money to some poor souls. I've bought the game, I even bought all the in-game packages, trying to gather all those cosmetics... as a thank you to the wonderful team of developers and designers and testers of this game, for all the awesome screenshots I got and for the numerous clips I've watched of others, and of course, for the multiple wipes I had )
    And I'm from Bucharest, I do know a couple of people that are working on the project, they are quite wonderful people... but as always, there's a ****** in the upper management that decides to screw up an entire community and **** on his colleagues work.