🛈 Announcement
Greetings! Anno forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game

GPU usage at 95%

Hello. When playing Anno 1701 History Edition, the PC gets really loud (fans on maximum) and hot. GPU utilization is really high (about 95%).

The recommended system requirements for the GPU is NVIDIA GeForce 770 4 GB.
    I run my system with a NVIDIA GeForce 1070 8 GB.

Is there any solution to this problem?

Ubi-TheBerry's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Originally Posted by SpookyNooky123 Go to original post
    Hello. When playing Anno 1701 History Edition, the PC gets really loud (fans on maximum) and hot. GPU utilization is really high (about 95%).

The recommended system requirements for the GPU is NVIDIA GeForce 770 4 GB.
    I run my system with a NVIDIA GeForce 1070 8 GB.

Is there any solution to this problem?
    Hey there SpookyNooky123,

Thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the Forums!

Poor load handling may be due to the GPU's drivers.

Could you please try performing a Clean Installation of the [urlhttps://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/driverResults.aspx/176384/en-uk=latest driver available for you 1070 GPU?[/url]

Please let us know if there's any change, thank you!

Hello Ubi-TheBerry,

thank you for your reply and your warm welcome.

I did update the GPU driver with the newest NVIDIA driver.
    However, there is no change in performance. The animation is still smooth and the fps stable, but the PC is running on the edge (getting very loud and hot) and GPU is at 95% capacity.

New installation of the game and the GPU driver is all I can think of what I could do, so I am at my wits' end here.

I changed the ingame graphics setting from 'very high' to 'high' and now the GPU is at about 80% when hovering over empty islands. In cities it is about 40%. It seems rendering trees and landscape is very GPU demanding.

So my solution for now is setting the ingame graphics to "high" with only medium texture quality, which is too bad for an old game like Anno 1701. : (
    If you have another solution (I don't know if there really is any), I'd appreciate the help.

Ubi-Thrupney's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff
    Thanks for updating us on that, SpookyNooky123 - sorry to hear updating the drivers didn't solve the issue.

I'd also expect good performance on an older game like this on your graphics card, so please have a look at our troubleshooting guide. You've already done the driver step, but please also make sure you've updated your operating system, you've verified the game files, and you don't have any unnecessary background programs interfering with the game.

If you're still getting this crazy GPU usage, let me know - I'll have some further guidance in that case